OVERSPRAY! How to remove?? Help!

venom279

Established Member
from Zaino, www.zainobros.com, you get two clay bars for around 7 or 8 bucks, they work very well, just clayed my cobra R for the first time last weekend, amazing what it takes off!! It takes off overspray, tree sap, industrial fallout, brake dust, rail dust.

:beer:

msp282

I sell crack
Established Member
I think you can buy meguires claybar from almost any decent story (pep boys, etc...).

I almost had my Integra Type R "wet sanded" to get overspray off.... then the guy was like...."or you could go buy some claybar"... DUH!!!!!

$18 and 1 hour or $300++++

Goodluck!

BlKvNm

Established Member
Thanks guys...lots of work using a claybar and if you're (I'm) not careful you can rub into the paint...I was hoping there was something on the market that can wiped on/off...

Again, thank you for the suggestions.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by venom279
from Zaino, www.zainobros.com, you get two clay bars for around 7 or 8 bucks, they work very well, just clayed my cobra R for the first time last weekend, amazing what it takes off!! It takes off overspray, tree sap, industrial fallout, brake dust, rail dust.

I meant where is the overspray. If it's just in places like the door jambs, 000 steel wool works.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by BlKvNm
Thanks guys...lots of work using a claybar and if you're (I'm) not careful you can rub into the paint...I was hoping there was something on the market that can wiped on/off...

The clay bar is far safer for the paint than anything that can be wiped on and is strong enough to have any impact on overspray.

Matt M PA

Established Member
Claybar has never hurt my paint. Make sure that the surface is lubricated with instant detailer or a car soap-water mix. I do not believe that it can get "into" your paint.

Lacquer thinner will dissolve enamels...avoid using this.

You could also use a gently polsihing compound.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by j card
Along with some of your clear coat.....

:rolleyes: ummm no. I am a detailer and I use this method all of the time. You just need to make sure you polish the spot you treated.

venom279

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
I meant where is the overspray. If it's just in places like the door jambs, 000 steel wool works.

OOPS, my bad!!:bash:

venom279

Established Member

A claybar WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT hurt your paint, believe me I just did it to a $58,000 car. You are right though, it takes a while to do the whole car, but the results are awesome, if you are just doing a few spots it shouldn't take long at all.

ASUFocusSVT

Established Member
my question on this is I have used claybar and it is cool, but on overspray it is basically little spots of clear coat that are on top of the smooth clear coat that is on the car, so if you use clay to remove those build up spots why wouldn't it take off the clear coat that you want on your car, or is the clay just basically smoothing out the build up spots of overspray. See what I am saying, you aren't removing the overspray you are flattening it out? Right.

j card

Established Member
Originally posted by ASUFocusSVT
my question on this is I have used claybar and it is cool, but on overspray it is basically little spots of clear coat that are on top of the smooth clear coat that is on the car, so if you use clay to remove those build up spots why wouldn't it take off the clear coat that you want on your car, or is the clay just basically smoothing out the build up spots of overspray. See what I am saying, you aren't removing the overspray you are flattening it out? Right.

It is more likely that there is a layer of wax in between the overspray spots and the actual clear coat. I think you'll basically just be knocking the clear loose from the surface and removing it as opposed to flattening it out or "sanding" it.

C_Record

Established Member
Does anyone know how to remove paint over spray WITHOUT having to buff...any suggestions?

thanks

Mick
There is no one simple solution for removing overspray from the surface of a car. It could be light enough to remove with a typical polish by hand, or it may be heavy enough to require wet sanding and buffing. The best thing for you to do is let a professional evaluate it have him determine whether it's something you can take care of yourself and what procedure to use. Like dealing with accident damage on a car, it's impossible to give the proper advice for something like this without seeing it in person.

Users who are viewing this thread