OWI/DUI question

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help on how to look up the laws/information in my area. What it is regarding is whether or not someone can get one of those ^^ charges for riding a bicycle intoxicated... this may sound like a unusual question but I'd like to know if I'd be taking a risk next year while in college. I'm in Iowa, if city matters it's Iowa City, and county is Johnson. Most of all I'm seeking the answer but if someone could tell me how to find this type of information efficiently on my own that would be great as well. Thanks.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
More than likely [as I have no idea] you could be charged, you'd be operating on a roadway and could pose a threat to yourself or other motorists. They don't have taxi's up there?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I went to Univ. of Iowa for grad school. They are serious about students acting like morons. Drunk in public, MIP, etc. Go to westlaw.com and look up case law on it.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
yeah the University is trying alot of things to get control of the drinking, they've tried raising the age to get into the bars but the students came out in full force at that voting and got it voted down, they require a alcohol ed class taken online before the start of your first semester. But anyways I tried some googleing and have found that it's considered the same thing in some states but I couldn't really find anything concrete.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Hey, I was wondering if I could get some help on how to look up the laws/information in my area. What it is regarding is whether or not someone can get one of those ^^ charges for riding a bicycle intoxicated... this may sound like a unusual question but I'd like to know if I'd be taking a risk next year while in college. I'm in Iowa, if city matters it's Iowa City, and county is Johnson. Most of all I'm seeking the answer but if someone could tell me how to find this type of information efficiently on my own that would be great as well. Thanks.

at least you are smarter than most....just get a lawnmower :rockon::beer:....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPxIibhcKY"]YouTube - Steves Riding Lawn Mower DUI Arrest Video[/ame]

FordSVTFan

Established Member
yeah the University is trying alot of things to get control of the drinking, they've tried raising the age to get into the bars but the students came out in full force at that voting and got it voted down, they require a alcohol ed class taken online before the start of your first semester. But anyways I tried some googleing and have found that it's considered the same thing in some states but I couldn't really find anything concrete.

It was insane when I was in Med School there. I loved Iowa City.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
In the language of the DWI law, it states driving a "motor vehicle". Operating a bicycle would be a Public Intoxication offense.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
It would depend on the state, so you would have to look it up for your particular area. As Iceman II mentioned, it apparently is not a motor vehicle in his area. But in CA, bikes are subject to the same rules of the road as cars. We do arrest for DUI on a bike. Just a different perspective.

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
It was insane when I was in Med School there. I loved Iowa City.

Impressive, I think I just read a report stating that the Med school had maybe 10/12 fields listed in the top 25, and it was as recently as a few years ago they had all 12 I'm pretty sure it was along those lines.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
You can get one here in AZ as well for riding a bicycle, I believe a skateboard also. Just be safe man.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
I was backup on a DUI on a bicycle before. Honestly we probably wouldnt have arrested the guy cause he was a local crazy, however we asked for a pat down, he obliged and we found all kinds of knives on him. We felt a mushy baggie in his back pocket and wouldnt let us in that pocket. So after he failed FST's we searched incident to arrest. It was a honey bun...

RookieBeotch

Post Whore!!
Established Member
I don't think you understand the atmosphere around here, so yeah i want to know if it'd be a risk worth taking.... you know costs and benefits??

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I don't think you understand the atmosphere around here, so yeah i want to know if it'd be a risk worth taking.... you know costs and benefits??

I understand the atmosphere there. I also understand the L.E. perspective. I can tell you that drinking while underage is a stupid thing and will do nothing good for you and in fact it can ruin your future. So goes for drinking and driving.

I cant understand why people think there is no other way of enjoying themselves without drinking excessively.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Roger that Adam, but the oldest person I have arrested for DWI is 72 years of age. And the guy wanted to resist on top of that. lol

STG

Banned
It is my understanding that the Ohio statutes have changed recently. Various drunk driving offenses have been consolidated under the new "Operating a Vehicle while under the Influence" offense. Note the omission of the word "motor".

Users who are viewing this thread