P0171 lean code...ideas?

pottsy

Established Member
I changed the oil in my car today and not even a half mile down the road, the CEL goes off while at the same time, I notice the car has a rough idle. I immediately have the code scanned and it's a P0170 "system too lean." This is not the first time this has happened, and it was fixed last time with a new 02 sensor wiring harness (but not new sensors). Could my front 02 sensors be bad and causing the car to run lean? I also installed a JLT cold air on the car a couple of weeks ago, could this be affecting anything? Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

zero3mach1

Established Member
check you air mass flow sensor, that could be the problem..
also check for intake leaks, or exhaust leaks.
hope this would help you

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
A buddy of mine always pulls a lean code from his K&N FIPK and aftermarket MAF. Did the symptoms develop only after you installed the JLT?

Last edited:

pottsy

Established Member
zero3mach1 said:
check you air mass flow sensor, that could be the problem..
also check for intake leaks, or exhaust leaks.
hope this would help you

I will check the MAF when I can, I am going out of town for two weeks here pretty soon. There aren't any exhaust leaks, and I would be surprised if there are any intake leaks as I actually had one before and to fix that I had all new gaskets on the intake and IMRC's installed. No vacuum lines are loose and nothing seems wrong in the engine bay itself.

Tabres--the car ran great after I put the JLT on. The CAI has been on there for probably 2-3 weeks now, and I had no problems. I ran the car at WOT several times since I installed it, probably driven close to 500 miles...nothing seemed wrong with the car or the idle. If anything the car ran better since the JLT (vs. the WMS). I was just throwing that out there to see if that could be a culprit...

Also, if the car notices the lean condition enough to trip the CEL...is it safe to drive the car?

Ryan2KRedL

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Don't rule out the following -
bad (lean) tank of fuel
vacuum leak
Clogged fuel filter

Did you check the spark plugs?
Any loose fittings on the fuel injectors?

I've had trouble in the past and if not the 02 sensor, it almost always was fixed by one of those above.

SNSTR_SNK

Established Member
i get the same code every once in a while started when i got my c&l mines just a soft code though sometimes it will be slightly out of stock parameters and the mil light will be on for a day or so then it will go out. probably not a big deal.

TRIPPLEBLACK

Established Member
my 98 does it also. I have mil eliminators and it still happens. I have the wms with a 95mm maf. The code i always pull is o2 sensors so maybe I will change them soon and see what happens.

COBRASVT

Established Member
Seems to happen with the aftermarket mass air meters....

I just put my ProM back on and got the same code..

I'm going back to stock when my JLT comes in next week...I'll let ya know if the code goes away.

pottsy

Established Member
Well I'm finally back....I started the car up today for the first time in 10 days, the light is still on. The spark plugs have maybe 1500 miles on them, and the fuel filter is just barely older. All of the intake and IMRC-related gaskets were replaced by a dealership several months ago, and all the vacuum lines look connected properly, so I doubt it is a vaccum leak. Also, I drove the car about 10 miles and found no signs of a rough idle or any unusual "behavior." The car revved smoothly to about 4k (I didn't take it any higher)....This leads me to believe it is one of two things--

1) 02 sensors
2) JLT or MAF related

Thanks for the input guys....I should get it fixed tomorrow and hopefully get that annoying light gone. How hard is it to replace the front 02 sensors? Any other ideas, lemme know....

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
pottsy said:
How hard is it to replace the front 02 sensors? Any other ideas, lemme know....

Easy. Flat head screw driver, a wrench, and enough time to jack the car up plus 5 minutes and you'll be done.

Users who are viewing this thread