P0171- System To Lean Bank 1 DTC Code

mwilson6192

Established Member
With all of the Shelby's coming out of storage of late (mine included), I thought I would relate my experience with a check engine light situation not 10 miles into the season's inaugural cruise.

I put my 2014 Shelby GT500 'vert into storage in my own garage in December for the winter, filling the gas tank with fresh Sunoco Ultra 93 octane fuel and adding a correct ratio of Sta-bil fuel stabilizer (not Sta-bil 360 nor Sta-bil Ethanol treatment but "standard" Sta-bil) like I have with past cars.

Upon pulling the car out of storage late last week, I went for a cruise around town (e.g. local roads) in a reserved fashion (e.g. meaning NO BOOST and proper behavior with a tank of "winter" gas!). Within 10 miles the check engine dfdlight came on (keep in mind this is the first I have driven the car since receiving my car on December 20th from Tasca with performance mods). Needless to say my heart sank.

I read the DTC code with my SCT tuner, and it read "P0171- System to Lean Bank 1". After talking with my tuner at Tasca, he indicated this code can mean multiple things, but usually indicates an air or vacuum leak. This was bacfked up with information posted on this and other forums. He also said that it could be the Sta-bil fuel additive (and his view personally is never use a fuel stabilizer for winter hibernation nor any fuel additives for that matter).

He recommended running the tank down close to empty (by performing normal driving), and the following day I ran most of the tank down. During this time I babied the car and there were zero performance issues (e.g. no rough idling, missing, bucking, pinging, etc. etc.). Saturday I run down the final 1/8th of the tank, filled the tank up with fresh Sunoco Ultra 93 octane fuel, cleared the DTC code, and drove around locally for about 30 or so miles. The check engine light stayed clear.

I decided to put the car into boost for a couple of seconds, and there were no additional problems (e.g. no hesitation, bucking, pinging, loss/lack of power, etc.).

It would appear that the Sta-bil fuel stabilizer was not to the 4.0L Whipple/fuel injectors liking. I have my fingers crossed that nothing further occurs.

Hopefully this information may help others who have used a fuel stabilizer and experience a "sudden" P0171 DTC error code with all other things being equal.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I read somewhere that an intake leak would cause the same code and one person reported he got the code and then discovered that he didn't completely shutoff the drain valve on his Bob's oil separator. He shut off the drain valve and cleared the code and no further codes appeared.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I service a lot of Crotch rockets, atv's and Harleys in my profession. Stabil and all those other "snake oil fuel treatments" CLOG INJECTORS, DESTROY FUEL PUMPS, CLOF FUEL FILTERS!!

I guarantee if you took your fuel filter out, cut it in 1/2 it'll be filled with PINK JELLY VASELINE looking substance.

Fill it with fuel. stay away from additives like this especially Stabil. they are NO GOOD!!

that had to be the culprit.

cdh027

Established Member
I service a lot of Crotch rockets, atv's and Harleys in my profession. Stabil and all those other "snake oil fuel treatments" CLOG INJECTORS, DESTROY FUEL PUMPS, CLOF FUEL FILTERS!!

I guarantee if you took your fuel filter out, cut it in 1/2 it'll be filled with PINK JELLY VASELINE looking substance.

Fill it with fuel. stay away from additives like this especially Stabil. they are NO GOOD!!

that had to be the culprit.

Is Torco safe to use or is it like Stabil as far as what it does to your car?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Torco octane booster is fine. ANY fuel stabilizer will screw your gas when it sits for a while. Fine for your lawn mower and scooter. Not so fine on your 650hp hot road.

bj

Users who are viewing this thread