PA Alt. w/ Metco pulley - n e 1 w/ problems?

RD SNAKE

Established Member
I've had a PA alternator for 8 months now with no problems. Then I decided to add a lower pulley setup. When swapping the alternator pulley I mess the alternator up pretty good, Sent it out to PA to get fixed.

Got it back, I spun it with my hand. One direction it had no noise, the other direction it made a slight noise. I said oh well they fixed it and put my 3.7 pulley on.

Started it up car ran fine no noise for about 10 mins or so...Got it back home and heard this nasty noise, turned out the alternator was making a ton of noise! again it messed up the case on the alternator and ate the brand new pulley.

I tightened the pulley on as tight as i could with the alternator off the car (using a wrench, not a impact). I used blue locktie. The spacer was behind the pulley.

What gives here? Is their a torque on the pulley? Has anyone else had problems with PA alterantors and metco alternator pulleys? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm leading to think that PA sent me out a bad rebuild alternator since it did make a slight noise before installing on the car.

I really don't want to try it again and toast another pulley and alternator.

I would have took pictures but the alternator is boxed up already..that thing like really nasty, metal shavings every where!

-Kevin

AMB

Established Member
Rd Snake

Whow's lower pulley did you use?? The Cobra uses different alternators that require different pulley spacers!! Metco use to send two or three different spacers with their lower pulley kits.

AMB

RD SNAKE

Established Member
AMB said:
Whow's lower pulley did you use?? The Cobra uses different alternators that require different pulley spacers!! Metco use to send two or three different spacers with their lower pulley kits.

AMB

I am using LFP lower setup, but a metco alternator pulley, it only came with one spacer

AMB

Established Member
Rd Snake

Sounds like your spacer is too thin, for your alternator. You need to measure it and call Metco and get a thicker one!!!

AMB

Users who are viewing this thread