Pacesetter Headers and Clutch change

IcemanSN95

Established Member
Hi All, I attempted to find this by searching, but wasn't able to find a straight answer as to wether or not this can be done.

With Pacesetter Headers has anyone been able to change their clutch without having to remove or loosen the headers to remove the transmission? I didn't really pay attention when I installed them and I haven't had my car up in the air to see in a while. Thanks in Advance for responses!!!

:beer:Brad

Last edited:

ia96svt

Established Member
i did and had a really good answer till i remembered i have a t56 now.
i would bet it can be done drop the cross member and let the tail of the trans hang down and it makes it easier to get to the top trans bolts but support it with a jack

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Although I don't have these headers, I have done a ton research on them and what I have read is you should be able to change the clutch without having to loosen or remove the header. Curious about how you make out, please keep us updated. Overall how do you like those headers? Is it worth the PITA of install?

Bite u

Established Member
Once u take the x pipe outta the way the headers will seperate enough to drop the tranny.. U will have to rotate the starter housing upwards towards the top of the motor, then pull trans rest of the way out and down.. A lift would help tremendously!

I did my tranny/ clutch swap in my garage with the car jacked as high as some 2 1/2 jack stands would go and the trans barely cleared the bottom. And going back in is even more of a pain... Hopefully u and a pretty strong friend can get it. I attempted it with a friend not so strong and ended up messing up a brand new needle bearing and fought with it for 3-4 hrs.. Got another buddy with some strength over there dropped it, replaced damaged needle bearing and stabbed the trans FIRST try through a 26 spline TWIN disk aligning it by finger ;)

IcemanSN95

Established Member
Although I don't have these headers, I have done a ton research on them and what I have read is you should be able to change the clutch without having to loosen or remove the header. Curious about how you make out, please keep us updated. Overall how do you like those headers? Is it worth the PITA of install?

Thanks for the input everybody! I'll be doing the install at my freinds shop with a lift and trans jack. He's very stout so strength shouldn't be a problem.

Shake & Bake. I bought these headers used along with the X-pipe. They didn't look that old, but may have been sitting for a while. I've had problems with them since day one. I had to purchase a MM steering shaft and it still is hitting on the one of the tubes. I'm going to have to try and dent it in a bit somehow. The passenger side is vibrating against the car in 3 different spots. So I'll have to dent a few on that side too if I keep them on the car. I had to butcher the X pipe to get it to fit If it didn't cost so much or wasn't such a PITA I would pull them and immitate the scene from Office Space where they go nuts on the Fax machine LOL! I may have gotten a bad set as I've seen mixed reviews of the fit quality. I'm still debating taking them off and putting Mach 1 manifolds or the FRPP shortys that I have that I opened up the ports to match the 03-04 exhaust ports. I'm wishing I would have saved a little more and got some Mac's or a set of American Racing headers that I saw pop up on craigslist here for $450 w/x-pipe that had only been Dyno run and pulled. Hope this helps :beer:

I'll post up how it goes when I do my clutch. It may be a while as my Wife just lost her job and gotta pinch the pennies for a bit:(

Last edited:

THE RED 1

Wake up, piss excellence
Established Member
yes, you can remove the tranny with the headers in, like stated above you have to rotate the tranny and it will fall out

ia96svt

Established Member
Thanks for the input everybody! I'll be doing the install at my freinds shop with a lift and trans jack. He's very stout so strength shouldn't be a problem.

Shake & Bake. I bought these headers used along with the X-pipe. They didn't look that old, but may have been sitting for a while. I've had problems with them since day one. I had to purchase a MM steering shaft and it still is hitting on the one of the tubes. I'm going to have to try and dent it in a bit somehow. The passenger side is vibrating against the car in 3 different spots. So I'll have to dent a few on that side too if I keep them on the car. I had to butcher the X pipe to get it to fit If it didn't cost so much or wasn't such a PITA I would pull them and immitate the scene from Office Space where they go nuts on the Fax machine LOL! I may have gotten a bad set as I've seen mixed reviews of the fit quality. I'm still debating taking them off and putting Mach 1 manifolds or the FRPP shortys that I have that I opened up the ports to match the 03-04 exhaust ports. I'm wishing I would have saved a little more and got some Mac's or a set of American Racing headers that I saw pop up on craigslist here for $450 w/x-pipe that had only been Dyno run and pulled. Hope this helps :beer:

I'll post up how it goes when I do my clutch. It may be a while as my Wife just lost her job and gotta pinch the pennies for a bit:(

i HATE my pacesetters they rub everywhere

98fourvalve

Established Member
i HATE my pacesetters they rub everywhere

I just finished installing mine today. The headers and X pipe fit like a glove to my car. Literally fit perfect. Steering shaft misses and doesn't hit on them either. X pipe fit great too. No need to adjust or dent anything to get it to fit.

I installed mine with their supplied gasket and bolts. I've got a set of ford oems and stage 8s but decided to try out the kit as it came. Couldn't be happier.
They honestly fit better imo than my bassani's did. Which I think is sad.

Last edited:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I guarantee that the header fitment sucking is due to bad motor mounts. Famous on these cars for that.

I just ordered a set for the cobra. I installed a set on a GT. I put new motor mounts on at the same time and they fit beautifully no rubbing at all. I expect these to do the same.

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
You are able to do a clutch swap with these headers. Once all the bolts are taken out you'll have to twist the transmission counterclockwise to clear the starter ear and trans will slide right out. I have done it in a few cars with pacesetter long tubes.

IcemanSN95

Established Member
I guarantee that the header fitment sucking is due to bad motor mounts. Famous on these cars for that.

I just ordered a set for the cobra. I installed a set on a GT. I put new motor mounts on at the same time and they fit beautifully no rubbing at all. I expect these to do the same.

Actually brand new poly mounts were installed when I put these on. From what I'm seeing and hearing these headers seem to be hit or miss. I wonder if I picked up a set new out of a box if I may get the same results as you have. I may try Macs or dent the tubes in to clear, shift some things around to see if it helps. Or maybe cut my loss and throw the factory Mach 1 logs back on. I really appreciate everyones feedback. Man these forums help out a ton! I remember back before the internet you had limited research options.

Last edited:

98fourvalve

Established Member
Do you have a tubular K member? I've heard header fitment issues with cheap tubulars because of them not being squared properly during welding and such. I run a QA1 and mine fit perfect, but I may just have been lucky.

IcemanSN95

Established Member
Do you have a tubular K member? I've heard header fitment issues with cheap tubulars because of them not being squared properly during welding and such. I run a QA1 and mine fit perfect, but I may just have been lucky.

No don't have a tubular K. I'm thinking I'm probably going to go that route in the future for sure. I know I'll have a lot more room to spare once one of those is in. I'm looking to buy something to drive daily so I can spend more time working on my Cobra. With it being my DD now, I can only work on it over a weekend or a few hours after work. I hate having to rush to finish a job. Knowing that I won't have to mess with the headers to replace the clutch will definately save me time and money. I've learned my lesson on buying some used parts. I bought a used Spec 3 clutch when I just recently swapped my motor. And the pressure plate is vibrating :mj: I should have known. I've never had good luck on buying used clutches. I have a brand new Ford racing 11" clutch and Freshly new surfaced 03-04 Cobra Flywheel :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread