Paging ZED or any F-body owner

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by Zed
I used to drive a 99 Z28 and I had Morgan Motorsports Aggressor 475 package on it. My Camaro used to make 403 rwhp. ;-) I am also the site admin on LS1.com. I have never gotten into the Ford vs Chevy wars. To me they are both American muscle cars and I love them both. :) [/B]

You are probably most qualified to give a comparison: (heads/cam) F-body vs. Cobra. Ride, power, reliability, etc. I was thinking of modding a Camaro if I can't get the Cobra. Factoring in price what is the better way to go?

Last edited:

98TAauto

LS1:beer:

Dont get me wrong, i would love to have the new 03 cobra, but ill have to pass on the 30kish price tag. If you have the Money get one..

but you can get a nice 98-01 for around 12-18k used depending on miles and just do stall, headers, and sticky tires and get 11's on STOCK INTERNALS... then if you feel the need slap in a cam and go mid-low, port the heads and go 10's:coolman:

or slap on N20 and hell you get the picture..

but i like the idea of getting 11's NA then slapping on a SC:burn:

MUAHHAHAAHAHAA

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
Tell that to my friend.. hes been looking for a 98-01 12-18k for about 4 or 5 months.. No dice.. everyone wants much more than that..

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
I guess it just depends on where you are at, Before I got my LT1 I had found very many LS1's going for about 16K.

Barely Legal

Established Member
I've had a 99 TA, and 6 mustangs including 2 Cobras. Whatever is fast at the time, I'll get. :)

Zed

Established Member
Originally posted by cubes

You are probably most qualified to give a comparison: (heads/cam) F-body vs. Cobra. Ride, power, reliability, etc. I was thinking of modding a Camaro if I can't get the Cobra. Factoring in price what is the better way to go?

I loved my Camaro, and I really drove it like I stole it. After I got the Aggressor package installed on my car, after a few months things started breaking on me. Since March of 2001 I have had 3 broken valve sprinigs, a failed oil pump, failed master and slave cylinders on my clutch, had 5 damanged lifters, 3 messed up valve guides, burnt seals and gaskets, and I had a constant ticking noise coming from my engine. And I have spent about $4500 in repair charges and car rental. And as of the last major fix on my car I had a handful of scrap metal pulled out of my engine block.

Even with all the problems I had, the Camaro drove like a bad a$$ mofo. I had actually killed a Viper GTS on the freeway in a series of 6 races starting with 80 mph on the freeway.

I was tired of wasting money on repair charges. I wanted a new car and the Cobra seemed like the perfect candidate. As far as the ride quality the Cobra is the better car without a doubt. The transmission engages a lot more smoothly than the Camaro. And the handling is far more superior to the Camaro.

As far as power, Even though the Camaro had more rwhp, I am still undecided as to which one had a stronger kick while accelerating. But I have realized one thing, the topend acceleration for the Cobra seems to be stronger and quicker than the Camaro. Can you say boost? :-D

Hope this helps. :)

98TAauto

well im out in the sticks in Va away from the city and prices are very cheap for 4th gens. The average price with say 30-40k miles is around 14-15thousand bucks..

you can get 01's with 10-20k miles for like 18-19k:coolman:

the country does have some benefits.. i got my 98TA back in late 99 with 18k miles for only 17,500:p

whichever car you get, im sure you wont regret it... btw ive had the car for 3 years with NO probs... all bolt ons with high stall..

my GF has had her GT since 99 with no probs also, sooooo its all in the luck of the draw. As far as all the probs Zed had, maybe he just got a bad apple. I could go out and buy a 03 tomorrow and have all sorts of issues but that could be 1 in 200 cars:shrug:

its all about speed, so get the one that brings the biggest grin to you face:-D

Doogster

Established Member
Iv'e got a 99 T/A, had the chance to drive the 03 Cobra...no comparison. I love my T/A but I'll be damned if I'd even consider racing an 03. If I could afford one, I'd trade in the T/A in a heartbeat.

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
I just traded my '01 Ram Air on an '03 Cobra. GM is really screwing people with piston slap and oil consumption problems on LS1s. Didn't Ford at least fix the power problems on the '99 Cobras? Looks like these '03 Snakes can get 500 crank hp with relatively simple mods.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Originally posted by BLACK SUNSHINE
I just traded my '01 Ram Air on an '03 Cobra. GM is really screwing people with piston slap and oil consumption problems on LS1s. Didn't Ford at least fix the power problems on the '99 Cobras? Looks like these '03 Snakes can get 500 crank hp with relatively simple mods.

Yeah, Ford did step up and do the right thing by fixing all the 99 Cobra's.

Users who are viewing this thread