Paint Ball Gun Knowledge anyone?

Vashthestampede

Its not a TUMAH
Established Member
Care to explain on both? you can buy anti fog as well, N tanks are dual purpose

HPA tanks can never be filled with CO2, period on a steel tank you will simply obliterate the regulator if it even allows you to try to fill it that way instead of through the fill nipple. On a carbon fiber tank, you have yourself a bomb if you actually get any CO2 in it. There used to be some carbon fiber CO2 tanks for the original shocker's as they needed larger tanks due to their brutal inefficiency, but that is neither here nor there.

But an hpa tank is designed to store air in a gaseous form at either 3000 or 4500psi. The tank has a regulator built into it to reduce the output to a pressure usable by a paintball marker which is typically less than 850psi. It is a clean and efficient air source, but volumetrically it is less efficient than a CO2 tank of comparable size.

A CO2 tank is either a steel, aluminum, or chromoly tank without a regulator designed to store liquid CO2 at a pressure of right around 8-900 psi. They are in no way similar or compatible.

Your sstatement about antifog tells me you are relatively new to the sport or have never used a high end mask such as a profit, i4, grillz, etc... There is no decent substitute for a dual pane thermal lens. Vforce has a decent coating, but it wears off and boom fog city. Also masks that don't come with decent lenses tend not to be decent masks, so if you are having to buy "anti fog" you went cheap on the mask and have already screwed up.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
41IkDKLwlxL._SS500_.jpg

That is all you need, lol. What they make for games now-a-days.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
HPA tanks can never be filled with CO2, period on a steel tank you will simply obliterate the regulator if it even allows you to try to fill it that way instead of through the fill nipple. On a carbon fiber tank, you have yourself a bomb if you actually get any CO2 in it. There used to be some carbon fiber CO2 tanks for the original shocker's as they needed larger tanks due to their brutal inefficiency, but that is neither here nor there.

But an hpa tank is designed to store air in a gaseous form at either 3000 or 4500psi. The tank has a regulator built into it to reduce the output to a pressure usable by a paintball marker which is typically less than 850psi. It is a clean and efficient air source, but volumetrically it is less efficient than a CO2 tank of comparable size.

A CO2 tank is either a steel, aluminum, or chromoly tank without a regulator designed to store liquid CO2 at a pressure of right around 8-900 psi. They are in no way similar or compatible.

Your sstatement about antifog tells me you are relatively new to the sport or have never used a high end mask such as a profit, i4, grillz, etc... There is no decent substitute for a dual pane thermal lens. Vforce has a decent coating, but it wears off and boom fog city. Also masks that don't come with decent lenses tend not to be decent masks, so if you are having to buy "anti fog" you went cheap on the mask and have already screwed up.

Hardly new to the sport but i have been out of it for a while, I was suggesting him anti fog so hes not out blowing a ton of money initially on a mask. The first two years i played thats all i used , All that matters is your ability, ive seen people with Spyders wearing DYE gear from wal mart ****ing dudes up that spend the cash for high end gear in tournaments. It doest matter. Like i said i was in the circuit for 7 years and im hardly new. All i can say is that ive had quite a few Nitro tanks and ive always been told (but never had) is that they are compatible with both.

stangin99

Established Member
Hardly new to the sport but i have been out of it for a while, I was suggesting him anti fog so hes not out blowing a ton of money initially on a mask. The first two years i played thats all i used , All that matters is your ability, ive seen people with Spyders wearing DYE gear from wal mart ****ing dudes up that spend the cash for high end gear in tournaments. It doest matter. Like i said i was in the circuit for 7 years and im hardly new. All i can say is that ive had quite a few Nitro tanks and ive always been told (but never had) is that they are compatible with both.

As was said, you can fill an N2 tank with CO2, but you need to switch out the regulator first. It's not a simple pin valve like on CO2 tanks. And after the price of an N2 tank and new valve..why would you ever bother with CO2?

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
OK. My 11yr old son is loving this game after a few sessions
and I am looking for a gun and decent set up for him for Christmas present instead of more 1st person shoot-em-up video games and more video game crap in general. I'd certainly rather have him playing this for real while running and sweating, ducking, dodging, diving and focusing/aiming etc...

Ebay has a ton of choices and I really don't know what is good or garbage.
It seems Tippmann is a solid choice, but what makes and models?

I want to get him something decent (probably slightly used) and sure don't want to spend a ton of money on a sport for him that he will play once a month.

I'm sure he would want a fully auto gun to pepper dear ole' dad more than once at a time.

Masks? Hoppers? Canisters?

Any insight would be appreciated. And photos if you have them.

thx!:beer:

Can't beat a Tippmann Custom 98. Cheap, easily modded and can take a beating.

Asd60303

Lead. Never Follow
Established Member
i prefer automags over tippmanns but that is just me. got my angel g7 fly the other day to replace my hybrid shocker for my main gun. should be a fun weekend

if you are looking for used stuff go here:
PbNation - Paintball's Home Page

I post on there frequently. That's a very good site to B/S/T'ing gear.

I would look into getting your son a used proto matrix or a dye gun such as a DM5/DM6/DM7 with a stubby HPA tank and a rotor hopper. You can tell i'm a huge matrix fan as they are easy to work on. I have shot all types of guns from mech cockers to electro cockers to timmys to angels. I always had a dye gun in my gear bag because they are reliable, easy to work on and super comfortable. It's cheaper to buy something a little more expensive at first than to upgrade every few months as he progresses. Everything else such as a mask, clothing, pack is really up to your budget. I always based my gear on what will be easy to sell or is popular at the time because I had new guns/gear every week.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
another vote foe the Custom 98

great entry level gun and damn near impossible to break

Users who are viewing this thread