Paint chipping on the hood

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Ok, I know the paint on our cars is cheap and thin, but damn! I have about 25 chips, 5 of them the size of a quarter and they become larger, because the paint is lifting just by cruising on the interstate. It was not that bad to begin with. I have the car for a year now. Do you think the dealer will repaint it under warranty, or should I just go to a shop and get a better paint job done once and for all? I tried touch up paint and Langa, but I don't like the results. Is there some guide that I can follow to do it myself, like a shop does it? Is it too hard? Do I need to invest a lot in tools?

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
My hood had chips like that but not quite that big (about the size of a dime). The dealer repainted mine under warranty, no problems. If you are going to do it, do it as soon as possible. The only way I can see them saying anything is if you wait 20K miles before taking it in. :shrug:

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by 03blacksnake
My hood had chips like that but not quite that big (about the size of a dime). The dealer repainted mine under warranty, no problems. If you are going to do it, do it as soon as possible. The only way I can see them saying anything is if you wait 20K miles before taking it in. :shrug:

I'll go over and give it a shot as soon as the snow melts a little. I guess I have nothing to lose. I have 10K now.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Others have had theres painted also. The ford dealers paint is just as good as most other shops. The one in my area uses PPG and that is even warrenty against chips like that the body shop manager told me. he said they send a rep out to measure the thickness to approve. I wouldnt have a problem with theirs just tell them your are very picky

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Do you guys think they'll give me trouble because I put touchup on the chips? I was trying to prevent it from lifting even more. I can take it out again with this Langa stuff.

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
Bad batch of primer. Ford knows about it and will repain it under warranty.
It's not just ford by the way. Every mfg who has used this bad batch of primer in the last year has seen this prob and is repainting at no charge

cobraGABE

Will work for Mods
Established Member
I have had my hood repainted twice. both by the dealer. I believe the paint is cover by warranty for 7 years regardless of mileage, as long as the dealer deems it a defect from the application of the paint and not dings or rock chips.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
Yep had mine repainted by the dealer for the same problem. they did a great job and hasn't chiped since......almost 2 years.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Paint

There is a new TSB for paint comming off of Mustang hoods. It has build dates listed and explains the cause.I don't remember the TSB number but I do remember reading it.

mikea074

Cobramods
Established Member
Mine is going in next week for the same chipping problem, ford gave me no problems covering it under warranty.

mystic1996

Established Member
Originally posted by cobraGABE
I have had my hood repainted twice. both by the dealer. I believe the paint is cover by warranty for 7 years regardless of mileage, as long as the dealer deems it a defect from the application of the paint and not dings or rock chips.

Paint is only covered under bump to bumper warranty, at least thats what they told be two years ago when my paint on my mystic started cracking :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread