Paint job cost??

RickwithCobra

Established Member
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone new how much a nice/descent paint job would cost for a 96 cobra vert, I just want to get it repainted lazer red.

'95yellowGT

Established Member
haha ive never paid more than $1500 dont know where u guys are getting ur stuff painted depends on if u want a show quality job or just a basic paint job but i job just painted back the same factory color should b no more than $2000

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
haha ive never paid more than $1500 dont know where u guys are getting ur stuff painted depends on if u want a show quality job or just a basic paint job but i job just painted back the same factory color should b no more than $2000

your definition of a "quality" paint job is obviously different that the rest of us. you will NOT get a "quality" paint job for 1500 or 2000 dollars. you will get a tape job where stuff is tapped off and not removed (windows for example) door jams won't be painted, engine compartment won't be painted outside of the underhood, lots will not get done. you may think it looks ok and tha is fine as long as you are happy with it. but anyone who wants to look at the paint will notice

a good quality job that includes taking windows out, painting the door jams, and the engine compartment runs around 4-5K. epending on where you get it done.

94venomV8

Established Member
I have seen as high as 6K but that included some body work (just dents that needed taking out and then some scratches that were deep). When I got quotes for my car to get done they ranged from $3500 to almost $6000. There is a big difference is quality paint products as well as the shops you go to for the work.

Toasty

Established Member
Alot of paint and body shops charge a premium for doing full repaints of cars because it takes up alot of shop space/time and they can usually make ALOT more money doing insurance claim repairs.

RickwithCobra

Established Member
alright cool thanx guys! yea i dont beleive i am gonna be able to aford this for a few years lol cause i dont want to get a cheap shitty paint job

95gtpa

Established Member
mine was 1800 but I did all the body work.....they just looked over it and touched up what needed to be touched up........but there were only like 1 or 2 dings.....may want to go that route

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Best idea... save for a quality job.

Save money by removing emblems/doors/fenders such yourself. Talk to the shop to see what you can do to lower costs.

Make sure a quality product is used. Ask for references; see if you can find people that had their car painted there as far back as you can go. What may look good the first week, may show signs of bad prep work etc. shortly there after.

I'd recommend never ever... taking your car from the shop until YOU are completely satisfied with the job. Otherwise you could be in a real hassle of getting them to take it back.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Painted this one in my back yard. Actual cost about $500.00, Retail about $7000.00

DSC02727.jpg

DSC02433.jpg

DSC02472.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

DSC04714.jpg

DSC02626.jpg

jumperjack

Established Member
Best idea... save for a quality job.

Save money by removing emblems/doors/fenders such yourself. Talk to the shop to see what you can do to lower costs.

Make sure a quality product is used. Ask for references; see if you can find people that had their car painted there as far back as you can go. What may look good the first week, may show signs of bad prep work etc. shortly there after.

I'd recommend never ever... taking your car from the shop until YOU are completely satisfied with the job. Otherwise you could be in a real hassle of getting them to take it back.
I had a friend of a friend do mine for 2000 and I went and looked at some of the other cars he had done first. All the cars he did before were excellnt paint jobs but when mine went to his shop he was very busy and the quality was terrible. I went back 1/2 dozen times to fix things, paint didn't match etc. and he still hasn't gotten it right, In other words buyer beware and make sure you are at that shop each day to check on the work as it is being done. I am at the point to call it a loss and have someone else repaint the car correctly. I would think 4500 would get you a top of the line paint.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I had a friend of a friend do mine for 2000 and I went and looked at some of the other cars he had done first. All the cars he did before were excellnt paint jobs but when mine went to his shop he was very busy and the quality was terrible. I went back 1/2 dozen times to fix things, paint didn't match etc. and he still hasn't gotten it right, In other words buyer beware and make sure you are at that shop each day to check on the work as it is being done. I am at the point to call it a loss and have someone else repaint the car correctly. I would think 4500 would get you a top of the line paint.

There are always that chance that they will rush. But reputation is a bitch. Takes forever to earn it and not much at all to lose it.

In actuality, if you do all the prep work yourself (good prep work) and take your car to Macco, you have a chance of getting an OK job. You don't paint as many cars as they do and not get a little better.

As long as there is enough material, you can buff most things out.. so long as its not some hellacious run.

I spray out of my garage quite often.. but you buff. There is always a chance of something happening. A good painter isn't necessarily the one that always lays down the best paint job, but the one that knows to fix their mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread