Paint problem

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
FOund this today on the trunk lid. Can anyone advise on a way to fix this myself? Or should I just get the trunk lid repainted? You can see my desperate attempt to stop the bleeding by slathering on the last of my bottle of touch up. The paint on this car leaves a lot to be desired.
PaintBubble.jpg

Last edited:

GMKILR9050

MTPockets
Established Member
hmmm, looks like body filler is lifting, or poor prep job from previous, I would take it in and spend a few bucks at a reputable shop and have em hose it down for ya

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
GMKILR9050 said:
hmmm, looks like body filler is lifting, or poor prep job from previous, I would take it in and spend a few bucks at a reputable shop and have em hose it down for ya

Any idea on what I should expect to pay for something like that?

GMKILR9050

MTPockets
Established Member
It all depends on what kind of shape it really is in, most of the time when it starts lifting there is some type of corrosion underneath.

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
GMKILR9050 said:
It all depends on what kind of shape it really is in, most of the time when it starts lifting there is some type of corrosion underneath.

Hmmm. Wierd, because there isn't any rust or anything underneath.:shrug:

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
no rust in the spot we can see anyway, it could be elswhere under there.

It may not even be rusting. It may just be a bad filler job, and closing (read slamming) that decklid closed over and over have pushed somthing out of whack with it. I'd look at getting the spot fixed, if it ends up costing too much, decklids are cheap from the junkyard, and a white one should be easy to find.

Just wish I could find a Laser Red one with no wing for my car........

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Dreddstang said:
no rust in the spot we can see anyway, it could be elswhere under there.

It may not even be rusting. It may just be a bad filler job, and closing (read slamming) that decklid closed over and over have pushed somthing out of whack with it. I'd look at getting the spot fixed, if it ends up costing too much, decklids are cheap from the junkyard, and a white one should be easy to find.

Just wish I could find a Laser Red one with no wing for my car........

I bet you're right about that junk yard idea. I'll have to look around.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
seems like the spot where I had an emblem taken off by some punks and rain/wear started to cause the paint to bubble up and come off like that. Got the decklid repainted for $100, but that was for a hook-up and not even sure he did a great job on it.

Our paint jobs are the SUCK!!! If only Ford put enough time in the paint stages as they did on Jaguars...:cuss:

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
97CasperCobra said:
seems like the spot where I had an emblem taken off by some punks and rain/wear started to cause the paint to bubble up and come off like that. Got the decklid repainted for $100, but that was for a hook-up and not even sure he did a great job on it.

Our paint jobs are the SUCK!!! If only Ford put enough time in the paint stages as they did on Jaguars...:cuss:

+1 on that. Every year I have to put a coat of touch up underneath each door. And on the rails where the hood is above.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I'd take it to a shop for repair & paint. If you're able to find a decent one in a junk yard, you're probably going to have to pay to have it painted, and possibly repaired ....

Pay now, or pay later:shrug: . JMO

Dreddstang

Wing-Less Bastard!!
Established Member
Yeah, dano's right too. If you get a estimate of like $300 to fix it, junkyard! Then you can buff it out and maybe make it look decent for a while if you are on a budget.

You are also going to want to see how badly the trunklid of yours is beat up under that putty. You may be better off either way replacing it, who knows?

I hate the quality of Ford paint. If I showed you a closeup pick of my Laser Red nose, there are rock chips like you wouldn't believe!

hell, the front of my 2006 Fusion SEL is already showing 2 chips, and THAT's pissing me off!:cuss:

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
Dreddstang said:
Yeah, dano's right too. If you get a estimate of like $300 to fix it, junkyard! Then you can buff it out and maybe make it look decent for a while if you are on a budget.

You are also going to want to see how badly the trunklid of yours is beat up under that putty. You may be better off either way replacing it, who knows?

I hate the quality of Ford paint. If I showed you a closeup pick of my Laser Red nose, there are rock chips like you wouldn't believe!

hell, the front of my 2006 Fusion SEL is already showing 2 chips, and THAT's pissing me off!:cuss:

PaintGone.jpg

Well, the bubble burst. This is what it looks like under there. The metal is solid and smooth. It looks like the paint just seperated from the primer!

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
The best shop we have out here in BFE KY said they would take the deck lid down to bare metal and re-primer, then paint for $250. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread