Paint Protection Question

RickJay

Established Member
I'm getting ready to take the Cobra on a Road Trip down to Tennessee..
I want to try and keep my front end and hood from getting stone chipped, and I'm looking at this 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Film.

Does anybody out there in SVTP Land have any experience with this product, opinions, good or bad reviews?

I like this better than the spray on stuff cause it's 8 mils thick and that seems like it would provide quite a bit of protection.

If anyone has used the 3M paint Defender spray on stuff, let me know how you liked / disliked that as well, what the hell.

Thanks
RJ

oneof185

Established Member
I have recently applied the spray on to my rear bumper area - behind tires since they throw crap down the side. The film seems pretty thick, you can see the outline where I 'stopped' the spray...but other than that, looks pretty good. So, I can't really speak to it's protection ability, but it shows where you can't poke a key throuhg it, when peeled off. If you are concerned, I think it would be a good idea, even if you spray it on a little thick and may see a run or two. It should help with chips. They recommend 2-4 hours to dry, but up to a couple days for water resistent/settled altogether.
Again, where I put it, it looks good, the line it has where it's not, appears that the plastic would be fairly thick and protective to me. Need to make sure you wax first so it will come off easier when time comes to peel away.

Last edited:

Lowest_Frequenc

Established Member
I was under the impression the spray on stuff can get WAY thicker than the normal clear bra. Never used, just my general internet opinion...

RickJay

Established Member
From what I can tell from the 3M product info, the spray on system, while removable, is described as more of a "permanent " application
That's what led me to look up the film, I didn't really want to leave the stuff on, I got a big local Mustang Show coming up, and then The Woodward Dream Cruise, and I just didn't want to pick up any damage on the road trip, but wanted to be able to peel the stuff off easily afterwards.
I think I'm going to go with the Film, I'll post up how it goes in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread