Paint question?

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
I am entertaining the thought of painting the chrome oval on our front grill the same color as the rest of the body. I have a red CSVT and was wondering if anyone has done this before. If so, are there any pics to get a look at? Any color would work, I just want to get an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Jason43

Brewer, patriot
Established Member
Ditto. Just keep in mind it will take about 2-3 weeks for the chrome to strip off.
DH2.JPG

randycsvt

Established Member
painting grille

you don't have to bother with the muratic acid. The chrome is just a thin layer of metal. Just sand one spot down, and when the metal get weak enough you can just strip it off with pliers. It took me one day to do it all (Much better than waiting for the acid).

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Thanks, but is a paint shop going to know about the acid thing, or are they going to go the sanding route? Also, what would you expect the price to be?

randycsvt

Established Member
just prep the piece yourself. Sand down one portion of the grille, until you break down the chrome metal. Once you break it down you can start peeling the rest off. Lightly sand the grille and bring it to a paint shop. They should charge you much to paint it and clear coat it. It is not that hard to do.

Rodeo

you can get a kit off Ebay to make it whatever color you want. It doesn't involve stripping the chrome or anything and it only takes about 10 minutes to do. We did it on my buddy's Lightning and it looks awesome.

rilestoneSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Rodeo
you can get a kit off Ebay to make it whatever color you want. It doesn't involve stripping the chrome or anything and it only takes about 10 minutes to do. We did it on my buddy's Lightning and it looks awesome.

Do you have any pics? Also, what would I have to search under on Ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread