Paint Swirls

Scottman

Established Member
The other day I was outside waxing a black car when the sun came out. I decided to keep waxing the car anyways :bash: Now there are swirl marks on the hood of this car that I cant get out with waxing again. Do any of you have an idea that might be able to get the swirls out of the hood? Polishing maybe? Thanks!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
polishing should help, should actually get rid of most of'em

chrisilversvt

Established Member
i just tried using that meguir's scratch x..it doesn't really remove scratches,but it did get rid of the swirl marks really well...but my car is silver,and they don't show up as much on silver as they do on black,but you might give it a shot..it also removed the swirls on my wife's jaguar,which is a very deep maroon color...

SVTnKC

Established Member
One time i did mine by hand like i had always done...and i got the worst paint swirls for some reason...IT was really bad! so i thought maybe if i got a buffing machine! so i went to Walmart and go one of those like 10" buffers...used it a week later and my car looks bran new! Maybe that should help! Also i use the EAGLE ONE WET WAX! it seems to work like a champ!

Swazo

Established Member
Black and other dark color's are the WORST to wax, I'm guessing you found out why.
To get rid of swirl marks, the very best way is to use a buffer. There are the dark grey corigated foam pads, you'll need 2 of them and 2 types of waxes. Use one wax type per pad!!!!! Don't mix them up. Get a cleaning/ swirl removing type of wax and a carnuba or hi-polish type. I usually will use somthing like Meguiar's Professional Diamond Cut Compound 2.0. The cutting ability ranges from 1-10, 2 seems to "clean" the paint/clearcoat. Once the "cleaning" is done, you just have to make it shine. This time you'll be doing it with a pad that is ment for dark/black paint. The "Mirror Glaze" system from Meguiars is the best I've found while working in detailing shops and body shops. Please note that this is for REALLY bad paint like my black CSVT had from a dealership detail.
This will make some laugh, but an easy way to do it by hand is Turtle Wax Swirl and Scratch remover. It really works if you do it in a shady area right after moderatly drying your FRESHLY washed car. Then seal'n shine it up w/ polish or carnuba type wax.
If anyone has Q's on paint-n-stuff, hit me up.
detail.

Scottman

Established Member
Well, I just washed the car and put the 3M stuff on and it didn't get rid of them :cuss: I'm gonna move on to Swazo's plan...

Scottman

Established Member
OK Swazo...whats your favorite buffer? There are a lot out there and I didnt want to buy one without your blessing. Anything in particular to look for?:read:

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
Originally posted by Scottman
OK Swazo...whats your favorite buffer? There are a lot out there and I didnt want to buy one without your blessing. Anything in particular to look for?:read:

I would have it done by a car wash, or body shop, be around $100. You may burn the paint if you dont know what your doing.

Swazo

Established Member
True.............But the 7" Dewalt Anglehead Grinder w/ quick remove velcro buffer head/pads. Makita is good too. But his would be something you would want to take your time doing if you've never done it before. Honestly, if you've never done it.........pay $100 for a good detail shop to do it, no super-sonic car wash with a grizzely old guy turning quick tricks and detail jobs out back.

Before that, you might want to wash your car very well w/really soapy DISH SOAP'd water and rinse very well. Then bust out the Turtle Wax Swirl & Scratch Remover by hand w/ a grip of elbow grease. BUFF, BUFF, BUFF and let it haze well in the shade. When wiping all of the wax off, be sure to have a lot of new, clean, terry cloths on hand to make sure you get all of the wax residue off (The oily looking crap) Shake the S@#$ out of the rags to get all of the lint out of them if they are new or even semi-new. It's good to wax on a wet car, just use a little more wax than normal. Then use the best paste type carnuba wax or "hi-polish" wax with a new waxing setup (buffing pad & wiping rags) just to ensure a good job. USE ELBOW GREASE

This is a really good process I use all of the time. I rarely have to unleash my buffer, but it is amazing what you can fix on paint without repainting. aslong as there is something to buff (clear-n-paint)

Swazo

Established Member
When buffing, I like to do 5" swirls going the length of the car (sideways) and over lap your sections by 1/2 to make sure you really buff the F#$% out of it and use plenty of wax. Becareful when going up to body seems and the like, to make sure you don't dump big loads of wax into them. Cover everything in a very even, heavy coat of wax. Your car should look flat black (or whatever color it is) when it hazes.

Now go, BUFF until your arm(s) fall(s) off

Scottman

Established Member
Hahahaha...i dont know, that warning you gave me kinda scared me. I might just go pay some schmuck to do it for me. I dont wanna ruin a paintjob completlely!!!:rolleyes: It's my dads car so I feel reeeaally bad about it!!!:bash: None of the other parts of the car got swirled up....maybe a Mazda quirk in the hood :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread