Painted my wheels. Pics included.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
I couldn't decide between painting my wheels black or DSG so I compromised. Using 203Cree's how-to as a guideline I painted my wheels gunmetal gray Duplicolor T177. It was pretty easy. If you have painted anything automotive before the same rules apply. Prep prep and more prep. Sand everything down and wipe clean with preps-all or similar chemical. Light prime, heavy prime, sand. Prime again( I sanded too much) sand. Tac coat of color. 3 more coats of color. 2-3 coats of clear. I didn't use as much color and clear on the center caps just an adhesion promoter. I started Friday night and finished yesterday evening. I am pleased with the way the wheels look.
Before.
fueldoortw7.jpg

After.
picture009z.jpg

picture010srv.jpg

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
Hmmm....can't quite decide if I like them or not. I think I do, but just not sure.

Wash the L up and post another picture.:beer:

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
I agree Im not a big fan of the DSG rims on the red L or any painted rims for the most part. I does look like you did a great job painting them though.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The work looks great!!:thumbsup:

I just don't like the color combo. I've just never been a fan of dark wheels on a red vehicle.

As long as you dig em. Thats the most important thing.

croweski

Established Member
looks good! Thats the color im painting mine on my silver L ! how long did it take and was there much prep involved?

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
It took a day. I took my time and fought the urge to get in a hurry. The prep work took about 35% of the time, paint 50%, and pulling off and installing the wheels 15%. It was time to rotate the tires and I had the tire shop balance the wheels with the weights on the inside so there weren't any ugly ass weights showing. The hankooks leave a gap between the tire and wheel where tape will fit, but you will have to use 3" strips at a time to keep the tire covered. Then I ran another strip of tape a little further out so that I had something to tape the paper to. I used the free classified papers you find at a gas station. Thrifty nickel, Greensheet, etc. Then sanded the wheels down and used a prep chemical. The more prep work you do the better it will turn out.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I think it looks good, pictures probably don't do it justice. I would either paint or remove that gas cap, it sticks out badly now.

Post up more pics when it's cleaned up. :thumbsup:

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
Excellent observation Fade I didn't even notice the fuel door. You're 100% right it sticks out too much. I will paint it. It came on the truck and I don't have an original.

Users who are viewing this thread