Painting calipers, how to keep letters unpainted??

GT500EA

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
So exactly as it says, I'm painting my calipers black since they are looking like junk, but my question is how to you keep the letters from being black. Is there a trick that people know or do i just need to file the paint off after they are painted. Just curious because I still want the "Cobra" letters to show silver through the black calipers. Any help is great, thanks.

Blown281USMC

Established Member
1. Get the high temp stuff first of all.
2. Buy both silver and black.
3. First clean them up really good with brake clean, soapy water, and a good brush.
4. Make sure they are really dry. A heat gun or even a small torch works best for this.
5. Spray the letters silver, It doesn't matter if you get some on the caliper itself as it will be covered with the black anyway
6. When the silver paint has dried, tape over the letters with painter's masking tape
7. With a good razor blade, trace out the letters and leave the tops of COBRA taped up
8. Spray the rest black
9. Peel off masking tape after the paint has dried

And your done!! I say to spray the letters silver from the beginning because other wise the "COBRA" will still corrode and either look like crap, or bubble up the black paint and look like worse crap. Good luck, and post up some pics when your done!

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
I sanded the letters first so it would shine up really good. Then I painted the whole caliper red, then wiped the paint off the letters with laquer and then cleared it.

Photo0048.jpg

antiv6

Established Member
ya you can paint everything then sand the paint off the letters. I just picked it off with my fingernails before it was completely dry and it turned out perfect.

Freakingstang

Established Member
I sanded the letters first so it would shine up really good. Then I painted the whole caliper red, then wiped the paint off the letters with laquer and then cleared it.

Photo0048.jpg

I did a similar thing. I sanded the letters with 8 steps starting with 220 and worked my way up to 2500 to polish the letters. Then I put Elmers glue on the letters and let dry. I then painted the whole caliper (sonic blue duplicolor "perfect match" that I bought off the shelf at Advanced Auto. Once the caliper was painted 3-4 coats I let dry a couple days. I washed off the elmers glue with water. (water based glue that cleans up easily with water). I then Coated the whole caliper in a high gloss clear. I did not use high temp paint. They've been painted for a year and driven to Myrtle beach and back for mustang week so it's not like the car doesn't get driven. Car has approximately 7k miles on it since I painted them and no signs of paint burning off or flaking....

Here's just a quick pic.
b83872a2-a763-e899.jpg

03cobraatsummit020.jpg

Spoolx

Established Member
Whatever you do, dont look in the how to section, no one would ever do a write up on painting calipers.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
All that works, I was planning on covering up the letters with vaseline or something like that, maybe that would work too.

-Eric

Users who are viewing this thread