Painting My Calipers

SkylerSVT

Established Member
How Can I Paint Them With Painting Over The "cobra"? They Are Looking Kinda Dull So I Want To Repaint Them Black. Anyone Done This? If So Can I See?

FF3

Established Member
I painted mine red and black. For the Cobra lettering, after letting the paint dry for like 30 minutes I used a razor to remove the paint from the letters.

125486_15684.jpg

Redfire03

Established Member
FF3 said:
I painted mine red and black. For the Cobra lettering, after letting the paint dry for like 30 minutes I used a razor to remove the paint from the letters.

125486_15684.jpg

+1

You can also put alittle bit of vasoline on your finger spread it over the COBRA lettering and start painting, it should just flake off, or just use a razor blade and vasoline thats what I did.

99BlackCobra

Established Member
I did both the vasaline and it scraped right off with a razor blade. Make sure you clean them very good so the paint sticks. Also you can leave the calipers on and tape around it. Good luck post some pics!!!

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I painted mine this weekend. I'm very impressed with the way they turned out. Getting the paint off the lettering wasn't nearly as hard as I thought. Do it. You won't regret it.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
+1 for painting and waiting 30-45 minutes and using a flat tip exacto knife for for scraping the paint off. I use a high temp primer, high temp paint and then the clear. I DO NOT use those brush on caliper paints but spray cans. Much better powder coat look than the brush on crap-Shane

FF3

Established Member
skunkt-u said:
what type of paint did every one use... And what color red??

VHT caliper paint. The can, not the crappy kit with a brush. Color is "Racing red" and it should give ya about 1hp per caliper since it's "racing" ;)

SVT8U

Established Member
I used a can of engine block primer rated to 550 or 600 deg. Just reg spray can. Worked great and is lasting really well.

I painted them while they were on the car, just masked off everything with some paper and duct tape.

I painted the whole caliper( letters included) black. Once dry I scraped the black paint off of the cobra letters with a razor blade. It came off easily and the chrome letters look awesome with the black paint. Looks 10000000x cleaner. Way more subtle and classy look than 'Ricer red' that most folks paint their calipers.

pics....rotors are bear eradispeed slotted btw

53.jpg

FF3

Established Member
SVT8U said:
Looks 10000000x cleaner. Way more subtle and classy look than 'Ricer red' that most folks paint their calipers.

It looks really good. You're right, red would definatly stick out like a sore thumb on a white car, good choice. I painted mine red and black after I saw a 10th Anniversary. Ford went with the ricer red and I think it's nice on a red car :banana:

10thCobraWheel.jpg

YoungJim

Established Member
SVT8U - :rockon: on the black on white, that really looks sharp! If I get around to it I think I'll find some darker silver colour - like on VWs, if you've seen it - to go with my sonic blue. After I fix the bumper, get a shifter and a KB and..... you know how it is ;-)

Last edited:

IndiaHatCobra

Established Member
FF3 said:
VHT caliper paint. The can, not the crappy kit with a brush. Color is "Racing red" and it should give ya about 1hp per caliper since it's "racing" ;)
LOL, I put 2 coats on and picked up 2hp per caliper.

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
I used Dupicolor the stuff that comes in a can. Used a razor blade to take the paint of the letters. Put about 4 coats on. Here's how mine turned out.

Drying
Sonypictures7341.gif

On the car
Sonypictures7344.gif

mosconiac

Established Member
I used the VHT rattle can too. If you remove the calipers from the car, make sure you get ALL brake fluid off them or the paint will run right off. When I tilted one during painting...some fluid ran out and fu@ked my paint up. I had to do it twice.

yamahaSHO

Established Member
I would suggest powder coating them. I had mine painted and not only did it not last long, but brake fluid takes it off pretty easily.

I just had mine stripped of the paint and powder coated a few weeks ago...
pbr%20sig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread