Parasitic amp draw

wvragtop

SPRAYING CHEATER SVT POST
Established Member
I have performed a parasitic amp draw on my 96 cobra. After the car sets about for 5 days battery is dead. I've narrowed it down to two fuses. One is a main fuse under the hood that is about 50 milliamps and the second one number 8 under the dash that pulls another 50 milliamps. There are items that they both have in common listed. Chime for keys courtesy lamps engine compartment lamp glove compartment lamp power mirrors radio MCM instrument cluster MCM clock trunk lamp Anti-Theft Open Door signal. After about 40 minutes it has dropped down. Not sure which fuse is dropping down. It would appear to me that since I can unplug number eight and it cut it in half that it was the 50 amp fuse would be pulling some milliamps from some of the things they don't have in common like headlamps airbag module auxiliary power flash to pass low beams exterior lamps deck lid release door locks. Anyone had any problem with any of these things? I'm not sure really where to start now other than everything obvious and I'll check that

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would start with the under hood lamp or glove-box ,I have had those be culprits before.

wvragtop

Established Member
Yeah I've checked everything obvious already. Most of that stuff I'll check before even did the parasitic amp draw. I've heard other people talking about the amplifier but I don't believe there on these two fuses.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Have you checked the door open/close switches ?
I had the passenger side one on a 2000 GT go bad and would read open even when closed ,not enough to make the interior lights come on but enough to draw power .Was a pain to find.

shurur

Established Member
Have you checked the door open/close switches ?
I had the passenger side one on a 2000 GT go bad and would read open even when closed ,not enough to make the interior lights come on but enough to draw power .Was a pain to find.

Yup..that is the problem that often gets blamed on the GEM and people go cutting wires...

wvragtop

Established Member
The amps are not on the circuit I'm having problem with. Can someone tell me where that generic electric module is located?

Users who are viewing this thread