Parts for our cars; how long?

fake

Established Member
I think by law, vehicle manufactures must have parts avaliable for our cars for 20 years. We already know that is a crock, because Ford no longer carries a lot of parts for our cars.

Yes we have late model restoration and AM for misc parts.

What if you need a rear 1/4 panel? Neither AM or late model have these parts listed on their site. Where would you go?

Say I need new headlights in 10 years. Will I be able to find new ones easily?

What if you need new suspension in 10 years. Will Steeda or other places carry new parts?

Just curious because I have lots of plans for my Cobra and it may take several years to get where I want to be.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I bet people who had 65 Mustangs worried about that, too.

They made eleventy-billion-jillion-million SN95 cars. And so much is interchangable from 94-04. Someone somewhere will make the parts. I'm not worried about it at all.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
What if you need a rear 1/4 panel? Neither AM or late model have these parts listed on their site. Where would you go?

Cut one off another car.

Say I need new headlights in 10 years. Will I be able to find new ones easily?

What if you need new suspension in 10 years. Will Steeda or other places carry new parts?

Yes and yes. If you think it's difficult to find parts for these cars, try finding them for something a little more obscure than a Mustang. These cars have so much aftermarket support it's ridiculous.

Kiohtee

Established Member
The newest SN95 is already 15 years old! You're really worried about another 10 years completely killing the aftermarket support for them?!

It doesn't matter what you drive; after X number of years some things just won't be available, through the original manufacture or otherwise. As far as the stuff you're worried about, don't be.

mustang3X

Established Member
Some parts will never be made due to the cost of production and demand.

Sixties mustang parts are easy to make because of how they were made, lots of simple stampings and such.

Things you'll never see are injection molded plastic pieces, maybe some small parts if the demand is there, but larger stuff won't happen. The cost for the tool alone can be a few million dollars, now get a press, secondary tooling, people to run it, shipping, etc.

I wouldn't worry though, with all of the mustangs out there, parts that are not available new can be found in a junk yard.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
our cars are slowly getting dropped from the aftermarket, in my opinion. I would guess, with Late Model Restoration, most parts will be available.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
i wish someone would make some decent aftermarket cobra headlights. seems all the replacement ones fall apart in 1-2 years. what needs to happen is someone needs to repro them using lexan so they wont fade.

how about a repro fr500 steering wheel?....they seemed popular. how about oem steering wheels? the tan oem repro from LMR is no longer....and i REALLY need one.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I need a new steering wheel too. Mine is like eaten away at the top from driving with my hand there for the past 4 years lol

mustang3X

Established Member
I need a new steering wheel too. Mine is like eaten away at the top from driving with my hand there for the past 4 years lol

Get a Isotta leather kit and recover the wheel yourself or send it off to a place like dallas custom steering wheel, they can redo it almost any way you want.

Since steering wheels can be recovered and the underlying structure is extremely complex this is another part that won't be reproduced.

Users who are viewing this thread