Passenger Air Bag defeat?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
As normal mustangs have back seats of this era, vs todays cars that have the seat sensors for lighter wieght passengers. Has anyone had the passenger air bag switched such that kids can safely ride in the front seat? I have learned that the 1st step is send a letter off to the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin, where they will evaluate the needs (ahhhh no back seat.....), and possibly grant a dealer to add this capability. I have 2 kids, tough enough to only be able to bring one, let alone none. Have an 05 Ford with 2 seats a key switch is on the dash.

Last edited:

9secondlx

Established Member
Im not sure what year R your talking about.

if things dont work out with the national highway dept.

i know on a 95r you can just unplug one of the airbag sensors and it turns off the air bags completely. i believe there is one behind the drivers headlight. im guessing the same would be true on a 00r. then just plug it back in when you want.

i know with a porsche if you buy a porsche car seat the dealer will alter the airbag system for you. no need to go through the nat highway dept. you might want to call a ford dealership. im sure some of there ford trucks might have this same issue at one time.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
just unplug the passenger side air bag or put i switch on the factory wiring harness. its easy to get too. just drop down the glove box and there are 2 screws that hold the air bag in. should be an 6 or 8mm if i remember correctly. a ratchet wrench works good here. then there is just one electrical connector that is fastened to a the car with one of those plastic push pins. should take you 5 mins to pull the passenger side air bag. after that there are only 2 wires that go to it. simply cut one, extend wires to glove box, and install switch. if you ever sell the car, this can easily be undone.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Thanks guys, I have spoken to both my dealer and called the customer service hot line. I fully understand it will be easy to unplug. What I am concerned about is god forbid there be an incident, and the insurance companies get wind of a non approved atleration of federal mandated safty equipment. It is an 00R. I am going to send the letter this week. If it were track use, or similar, where only my self were liable, I would assume the risk, but when we are talking the open road, and potential things beyond my control, I am more leary.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I am guessing that someone has petitioned the Nat Hwy, and there is a procedure somewhere. With only 300 R's, likely no one has bothered, especially when "normal" Mustangs in the same year, have back seats, unlike Porsche's.

i know with a porsche if you buy a porsche car seat the dealer will alter the airbag system for you. no need to go through the nat highway dept. you might want to call a ford dealership. im sure some of there ford trucks might have this same issue at one time.

steve121

Established Member
Unpugging the airbag sensor on the front bumper will disconect the system but it will also make the car next to impossible to get the transmission into reverse.

Ruslow

Established Member
You can defeat the air bag or 'trick' the air bag module that it still is there.Will need a 2.2ohm resistor. unplug the connector behind the airbag and install the resistor in the unplugged connector.the module will 'think' the bag is still there and the lite will stay off and all will be well with the world untill you NEED the air bag.Stan

Users who are viewing this thread