Passing star smog or parting out.

DropSVT

Established Member
I have all 4 cats - do you think a non carb legal shorty would slip at a star station?
I know its smogged now but maybe for someone elses gain, All shorty headers are carb legal as far as every smog tech ive talked to in the past 3 years. Theres absolutely no way for a smog tech to know the difference between stock exhaust and aftermarket unless theres obvious markings that are visible from the engine bay OR they personally have had that car before to know.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I know its smogged now but maybe for someone elses gain, All shorty headers are carb legal as far as every smog tech ive talked to in the past 3 years. Theres absolutely no way for a smog tech to know the difference between stock exhaust and aftermarket unless theres obvious markings that are visible from the engine bay OR they personally have had that car before to know.

Just because they can't tell or are too lazy to check does not make it legal. It has to come with a CARB EO number to be legal. They usually have a tag or stamp on the headers to identify it as legal as well.

DropSVT

Established Member
Just because they can't tell or are too lazy to check does not make it legal. It has to come with a CARB EO number to be legal. They usually have a tag or stamp on the headers to identify it as legal as well.
Or just a sticker to slap on the inside of the engine bay. But this is about getting smogged not staying in legal perimeters. So although it may not be carb'd it will pass smog. If not then take it somewhere else.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Or just a sticker to slap on the inside of the engine bay. But this is about getting smogged not staying in legal perimeters. So although it may not be carb'd it will pass smog. If not then take it somewhere else.

I don't advise handing out that advise without disclosing the serious legal ramifications when caught. It is a Federal crime that can result in large fines and jail time.

Users who are viewing this thread