Paul's 2011 Coyote Build Thread

Paul.

Established Member
You should take advantage of the import faceoff test and tune. I've been using this event for the last year or so to get unlimited runs in during the daylight hours. And when you buy online the tickets are cheaper than Friday night drags. I'm actually gonna head out on Sunday 10/30. Though it'll be 90 degrees out still.

Is it a bunch of ricer morons dragging water across the line on an ill-prepped track?

I'm going to run at SIR in Tucson in November at a private track rental. 20 cars. No tech. Good prep. Do whatever you want. Then I'll be 1/2 mile racing in December. I'm excited for both.

Paul,...I'm going to guess you are going to make about 675rwhp and 590rwtq. Obviously, I hope it's higher! :coolman:
Good luck and keep us posted.

That would be awesome, but I don't think I'll be anywhere near that. We only have 91 octane here in Phoenix, my car is completely stock (except the whipple) and I'm running Whipple's very conservative tune. I expect probably in the 550 rwhp range.

Awesome thread and a good read, I love the front feed Whipple. I cannot wait to see your setup in action sitting on those Welds. Those are my favorite style and I may grab some one day!

I think I'm going to have to change tires on my Welds. I'll probably go to a 28x10.5x17 full slick instead of a drag radial. My drag radials are only 26" tall. Plus, I'm a little worried to launch the car hard until I replace my driveshaft. I don't want to grenade the thing and strand myself at the track.

Paul - work of art... and that same kit is in boxes in my garage waiting for an early spring install (I'm in NY so the car is asleep now). Well - except for the carbon fiber - gonna have to get that CF intake tube - that looks bad @$$!

2 questions if you don't mind -

1) why did you opt for the high flow pump over the standard one?
2) would you mind doodling on that picture of the front bumper cover to show where your trimming happens - that would be helpful (mainly for me - but maybe for others)

1) I did the high-flow pump and the fans (both are optional) because I live in Phoenix. There are few places in the country that can test a cooling system like Phoenix. Also, I do 1/2 mile racing a few times a year, and that is heat-soak city. I wanted to give the intercooler the best chance of keeping the IATs down.
2) I don't know how to doodle on the picture, but I can walk you through it.
- I have the Boss front end, and on the lower valance you have to cut off pretty much the entire "rear section" right behind where the step-off is. That will make sense once you see it.
- On the grill, I had to cut off the two outer tabs that hold the center of the grill in place. We just drilled two small holes in the grill itself and through the front bumper cover and installed the "push-pin" type connectors to hold it. Plus the two center clips remain. It's actually really easy, you just have to hold it up to the car, see where you're hitting the fans, and cut away. If you don't run the fans, you'll have far less interference.

Paul.

Paul.

Established Member
I went to my buddy's house on Saturday to make a few pulls on his dyno, because he's got one in his garage. Seriously. Because that's a thing.

Anyway, here's the combination for those who aren't following along.
- 2011 Mustang GT, manual transmission, factory 3.73s
- Whipple 2.9L Stage 3 Supercharger, 3.750" pulley, 168mm throttle body
- Boost is advertised at 10.5 PSI, but I have no measured number to confirm
- Completely stock otherwise, including factory exhaust and catalytic converters
- Ambient air temp was about 91 degrees, 91 octane fuel, stock tune provided by Whipple with their kit, measured SAE (not trumped-up numbers) on a Dyno-Jet

Top numbers were 591 rear wheel horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque. That number was produced with a 10 minute cooldown and by removing the airbox lid. Perhaps unsurprisingly, removing the lid netted 20 rwhp, as it was consistently in the 570 rwhp range with it on. Given that the 13/14 GT500 doesn't have an enclosed airbox from the factory, it's probably wise to keep it off. That said, I think if the car was moving and air was being forced into the air inlet of the box, it may be less impactful.

Note that the power was still climbing at the factory 7,000 rpm limiter. I believe that if I had a tune to spin past 7000 rpm, it would easily exceed 600 rwhp. However as I've previously mentioned, my focus is more on having a really NICE car than a really FAST car. The car is still very quiet, perfectly civil in every way, and should be very reliable at this power level. I was predicting in the 550-560 rwhp range, so I'm very pleased. I'm also glad I did the billet oil pump gears and crank sprocket as I've already hit the limiter several times.

Strapped down:
Car%20Dyno%203_zpstbof1vd7.jpg

Car%20Dyno%201_zpsdgc0hvwt.jpg

This is the graph with just the top numbers:
Dyno%20Highest%20Number_zpsqo673lgz.jpg

This is all the runs. The other three were made with the airbox lid attached.
Dyno%20Full%20Chart_zpse1xahvty.jpg

Video is here:

https://youtu.be/-CM093dowDM

Quarter-mile drag strip and half-mile top speed results are coming in the next six weeks.

Paul.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That's awesome Paul. Enjoy it.
Great looking car.

hirting

Established Member
A dyno in the garage?!! That is crazy awesome! :rockon:

Great looking numbers on the base tune. I know there is plenty more there with a custom tune. I would definitely remove the cold air box and just go wide open for the extra hp. Either way, it is a fast ride with plenty of go power and still pretty safe on the motor.

If I went the PD route, I would have went with the Whipple!

I look forward to reading about your 1/2 mile runs in the future.

Walt

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Wow GREAT power on a Whipple tune!!!! Like I said before EXCELLENT write up and build thread! I am very glad I have read it and been following it! Congratulations Paul on a sick car!

Way2QWK

Established Member
Nice setup paul. whipple is at the top of my list also. Curious what it runs in tucson in november. I live there and would like to see what our elevation does to your e.t and MPH with that blower. Is this track day nov 20th?

Paul.

Established Member
I'm looking forward to running it. I might run on my 20s since I'm afraid for my driveshaft should the car hook hard. Times won't be optimal because I'll be well into 5th gear, but I'm hoping for 11s in the 120s. Yes, this is the private track day on the 20th. Will you be there?

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow GREAT power on a Whipple tune!!!!
Yeah,....Whipple's Stage 2 tune on the S550 Mustang is making over 700rwhp. Pretty crazy.
(I know we're not talking S550 cars, but just wanted to throw that out there.)

fishpick

Established Member
Any updates on driveability, performance, regrets, happiness, impressions after you have had and driven this car for a bit?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm looking forward to running it. I might run on my 20s since I'm afraid for my driveshaft should the car hook hard. Times won't be optimal because I'll be well into 5th gear, but I'm hoping for 11s in the 120s. Yes, this is the private track day on the 20th. Will you be there?

Shifting into 5th sucks. My car was that way the first few track outings and i quicky moved to 3.27s...

Even with the 3.73s, you'll trap high 120s deep into the 11s. Car looks outstanding!

Any updates on driveability, performance, regrets, happiness, impressions after you have had and driven this car for a bit?

Really interested in drivability with the whipple and GIANT throttle body.

Honest impressions?

Paul.

Established Member
Yeah,....Whipple's Stage 2 tune on the S550 Mustang is making over 700rwhp. Pretty crazy. (I know we're not talking S550 cars, but just wanted to throw that out there.)

Really? 700 rwhp completely stock with no other mods with less boost? Do you have a link?

Shifting into 5th sucks. My car was that way the first few track outings and i quicky moved to 3.27s... Even with the 3.73s, you'll trap high 120s deep into the 11s. Car looks outstanding!

Really interested in drivability with the whipple and GIANT throttle body.

Honest impressions?

So, my impressions...

THE BLOWER IS FANTASTIC. Really. I can't say enough good things about it. It idles, drives, and cruises flawlessly. In fact, the Whipple tune eliminated a couple things in my factory tune that were annoying. The HUGE throttle body seems to have zero effect on drivability. Once a week or so, right after starting the car in the morning, the idle will hunt ~300 rpms for a minute, but then it goes away. You wouldn't even notice if you weren't paying close attention. My mileage went from 17.7 average down to about 13.5-14.0 now, but that's to be expected because I'm perhaps a tad overzealous with all my new-found power. :)

Everything about this kit is OEM-quality, from the fit and finish, installation, and all the way to drivability. The install is all plug-n-play, no repinning anything, and fits like factory. The instructions are clear, and the parts included in the kit are comprehensive to say the least. My car was completely stock and this kit turned it into a really nice, pretty quick streetcar with everything I needed, all packed in two big boxes to my house. When watching the IATs on my SCT handheld, the temps dropped very quickly on my car with the optional cooling fans. I'll be putting the intercooler to the test at the 1/2 mile races in a few weeks.

Here are the only two hiccups I've had:
- Immediately after loading the tune (which fired up perfectly and idled like a rock on the first try) I took the car out for a spin. As soon as I got heavy into the throttle, the car blew the fuel pump relay fuse. The OEM fuse is 15 amp. After some quick research on the internetz, I learned that a 20 amp fuse (or larger for bigger BAPs) is needed. A 20 amp fuse fixed the problem and there's been no issue since.
- Every once in a while I've got something chirping under the hood on cold start-up. I think it's one of the many idler pulleys that comes with the kit, but it's only from ~2200-2700 rpms, and it goes away once the car is warmed up. Plus, it doesn't do it all the time. That might take a bit to figure out.

The only things I'd change about the kit would be inclusion of a 20 amp fuse for the BAP, and maybe a large fender washer to hold down the included Whipple airbox with the OEM bolt. Again, I can't emphasize enough the quality and completeness of this kit. They thought of everything.

If you want a kit that works like Ford put it there, and are willing to spend the money to get it, the Whipple 2.9L is for you. I bought mine from Beefcake during one of his sales. With the Stage 3 kit, carbon fiber jackscrew cover, carbon fiber air inlet, upgraded intercooler pump, and optional cooling fans, it cost me $8667. Then another $537.88 for billet oil pump gears and timing gear from MMR. Total was $9204.88. Add in a couple hundred bucks because I bought all new timing cover and valve cover gaskets, new balancer bolt, new A/C belt, and some coolant, and you're right around $9500 if you install all this stuff yourself. I was really only considering this kit, or the Armageddon Twin Turbo. Overall, I'm 100% satisfied with my decision. From the beginning, I've focused on having a really "nice" car over a really fast car. This meets my needs perfectly.

Dragstrip results with pics and video coming soon.

Paul.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah that's REAL impressive!
Really? 700 rwhp completely stock with no other mods with less boost? Do you have a link?
They are S550 Mustangs with the Whipple stage 2 kit running over 700rwhp on mustang6g.com. Obviously they have supporting mods as well. Most have full exhaust.
A lot of them are high 600's too. Crazy stuff. All with the Whipple Stage 2 tune.

Paul.

Established Member
Thanks for the links. Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. I'm sure my car would make more power too if I had longtubes, full exhaust with no cats, more rpm, a smaller pulley, more boost, and 93 octane. It wouldn't make as much as the 15+ cars since they make more power on motor, but it would certainly be more than the 591 mine made.

Like I said, my car is 100% completely stock other than the Whipple kit with a 3.75" pulley on 91 octane.

Paul.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the links. Not really an apples-to-apples comparison. I'm sure my car would make more power too if I had longtubes, full exhaust with no cats, more rpm, a smaller pulley, more boost, and 93 octane. It wouldn't make as much as the 15+ cars since they make more power on motor, but it would certainly be more than the 591 mine made.
Like I said, my car is 100% completely stock other than the Whipple kit with a 3.75" pulley on 91 octane.
Paul.
No problem Paul.
Most of them, if not all, run full exhaust and other supporting mods. I'd probably not do any exhaust if I keep/build my car as well. Maybe an x pipe?? Maybe. lol
Enjoy it brother!

Paul.

Established Member
A few pics and a video from my runs at Tucson Dragway a few weeks ago. I drove the car 150 miles to the track, raced, and drove it 150 miles home. All in quiet comfort. Then the next day I jumped in the car and drove it to Vegas. I love my car. It does everything well.

Best passes were 11.62 @ 119 mph in 4th, and 11.65 @ 124 mph in 5th. Density Altitude was 5200 feet. Whipple Stage 3 supercharger setup with zero additional mechanical mods. Factory 3.73s. Runs were made on 20" NT05Rs and I never really launched the car hard.

Hard%20Parked_zpsauetqbx2.jpg

Paul%20Stage_zpsqdludduv.jpg

Paul%20Burnout_zps8iist71z.jpg

Paul%20Waterbox_zps5apuls41.jpg

Return%20Road_zpsaplea0ct.jpg

Timeslips_zpshocsemsa.jpg

Paul.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
nice runs. car looks fantastic.

You'd probably kiss 128 mph with a 3.31 gear swap.

Users who are viewing this thread