PayPal Question

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Assume you purchase something through PayPal and the seller never delivers the item. Are the following statements correct?

1. If you used a credit card you can do a chargeback (if necessary) to get your money back.
  2. If you used funds from your PayPal account it’s up to PayPal to get you your money back (which may never happen).
If both statements are true, wouldn’t you want to use your credit card for every PayPal transaction to avoid getting ripped off? Am I missing something? :shrug:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I believe that is correct. I have yet to lose anything thru Ebay but I do follow this policy. If it is a big ticket item I use my credit card on file. Double protection. If it is something that I could lose on that is a small amount, say under $25.00 or so I use my checking account. Just a general rule that I use.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
wvmystichrome said:
If it is a big ticket item I use my credit card on file.
+1

It seems to me that a buyer will NEVER lose their money in a bad PayPal transaction as long as they use a credit card and not their own funds. But I keep reading stories (like TEABG) where buyers are losing hundreds of dollars because a seller ripped them off. :shrug:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
It really sucks that people have taken a great idea and abused it. A friend of mine went and was going to buy a car thru Ebay. Everything was going smooth until he asked for a picture of the car with an up to date picture within a day or two old newspaper with it. The guy ignored him. He then asked the guy to let him use the third person escrow services that hold the money until the car is shipped and received or buyer is satisfied with car and then the money is released to seller. Just to be on the safe side. Seller refused so my friend walked away. He also won an auction for a boat the same way. Seller called him to arrange delivery and/or pickup and got hostel with my friend. Well seller did not turn his cell phone off and my friend got an earful of how they guy just sold some idiot a boat and motor that was in hundreds of pieces. Well my friend tape records all of his calls because of an incident a couple of years ago with his ex-wife. He turned it over to Ebay after the guy threatened him with a lawsuit and such. Still waiting on the out come.

Last edited:

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
Paypal are shit bags. ALWAYS pay with a credit card. Paypal recommends you pay from your bank account so those assholes are not charged credit fees... too bad they dont tell you you will never see your money if something goes wrong.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
I learned the hard way with PayPal. Yes, you can lose your money if you don't follow the rules. But if you follow the rules, you're pretty much safe. You never want to keep a balance in your account. You always want to use a credit card as the source of funds. You always need to file a complaint within the 45 day time period. If you follow those rules, you shouldn't have any problems.

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
Top_Fuel said:
+1

It seems to me that a buyer will NEVER lose their money in a bad PayPal transaction as long as they use a credit card and not their own funds. But I keep reading stories (like TEABG) where buyers are losing hundreds of dollars because a seller ripped them off. :shrug:

They didn't follow the rules. Also, it used to be that PayPal would only allow you to file a dispute if you didn't receive the item and the seller is unable to produce a tracking number. That has changed. You can now file a dispute even if you receive the item, but it is damaged or different than what you expected. This policy change has definitely made it a much more viable service. Prior to that, you could've paid for a car and they send you a book. As long as they had a tracking number, there was no recourse.

6speed

Established Member
ive used bank funds already, had something go sour, filed complaint...they refunded the money to my account (in full) i transferred it back to my bank account and problem was solved. took a little while but it went smoothly??

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
6speed said:
ive used bank funds already, had something go sour, filed complaint...they refunded the money to my account (in full)
That's good to hear that PayPal's "buyer protection" might actually work. But I never want to rely it alone for any sort of refund resolution. With a credit card transaction, the buyer still has the ultimate power through a chargeback.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
DanTheCobraMan said:
...if you pursue a chargeback, PayPal threatens to close your account.
I would only use a chargeback as a last option, but at least I would have that option.

I'd rather have a closed (empty) PayPal account than be out hundreds of dollars in a bad transaction that PayPal failed to resolve in a timely fashion.

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
DanTheCobraMan said:
But if you follow the rules, you're pretty much safe. You never want to keep a balance in your account. You always want to use a credit card as the source of funds. You always need to file a complaint within the 45 day time period. If you follow those rules, you shouldn't have any problems.

Your rules yes.. Paypal rules, NO!

svtcobra2k3

Established Member
What happens if you send payment and the seller withdraws the funds from his account? Usually if someone claims a Buyer Claim, PayPal will freeze the funds in the account and if they decide in favor for the Buyer they will automatically refund you through the funds. But my question is, if the Seller withdrew the funds and has $0.00 balance, how would PayPal refund the Buyer? I always thought that PayPal was the safest way to send money for things over the internet.

And as mentioned above, you can now file a claim even if the buyer receives the item? WTF? So say for example I sell an item send it to the buyer with tracking number, etc. However, the buyer wants to be a dickhead, scam me, get his money back, file a complain and say that I sent him something wrong. How would I prove this is false? So PayPal would automatically refund the Buyer back the money?

Last edited:

6speed

Established Member
for your first statement, if there was a 0 balance paypal would send you an email saying you need to pay this person this amount. i would imagine if they didnt follow through on this, paypal would send credit collectors, etc. either way after the 14 day period if the seller does not PROVE they sent/delivered what was specifically listed in the ad then the buyer (you) who filed the complaint is awared 100% of the sale cost back (unless you request partial refund for partial problems).

part two, assuming you send your package with tracking info (i cant imagine why you wouldnt) you simply send that tracking number to paypal and it will verify that it was delivered. case closed.

txyaloo

Established Member
svtcobra2k3 said:
What happens if you send payment and the seller withdraws the funds from his account? Usually if someone claims a Buyer Claim, PayPal will freeze the funds in the account and if they decide in favor for the Buyer they will automatically refund you through the funds. But my question is, if the Seller withdrew the funds and has $0.00 balance, how would PayPal refund the Buyer?

If the seller has no money in their paypal account, you are out of luck. PayPal will set a negative balance on their account for the total they owe you, but they will not charge the user's credit card or bank accounts for that amount. You just have to hope the seller receives a payment into their account. As money comes into the seller's account, you will receive what you are owed. Typically, when this happens, the seller or buyer just creates a new account to get around the negative balance.

Also, if you do a chargeback or stop payment on any transaction in your paypal account, they'll freeze your account and all of the money in it. I have an account with $105 in it that I can't get to because it was frozen from a chargeback. They say they'll cut you a check for the balance, but over two years later I've yet to see it happen.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
txyaloo said:
...if you do a chargeback...they'll freeze your account and all of the money in it.
This is a perfect illustration of why people shouldn't keep any money in their PayPal account.

Suppose you do a chargeback and you have a checking account associated with PayPal. Will PayPal attempt to debit your checking account to make up for the chargeback? :uh oh:

1FastZ06

Banned
Top_Fuel said:
This is a perfect illustration of why people shouldn't keep any money in their PayPal account.

Suppose you do a chargeback and you have a checking account associated with PayPal. Will PayPal attempt to debit your checking account to make up for the chargeback? :uh oh:

And they will also freeze all accounts in the family, as they did mine. They froze my mothers, fathers, mine and my brother. None were associated. Stay away from paypal

Users who are viewing this thread