PC user looking at Macs. Help!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I've been debating a new computer for a few months now and my gf said she would Help me for Xmas. My curent pc is an HP that's almost 5 years old. My backup is full (250gb) and the pc is hurtin too. Slow processor and I do alot of pics and video editing via Adobe Premier Pro. I want to switch to HD video and my pc won't hack it. She likes the macs. They ARE really nice and IMO the price seems pretty good. We looked at the new 27" iMac. So I guess what Im asking is

who has used both and what's your thoughts?

Pros cons of the mac?

I do know mac has no blu Ray burners but externals are available which doesn't bother me

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
i would stick to p c but thats just me, why pay more for somthing that your going to run the same programs on, and have the same performance????

waste of dollars in my opinion

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Why bother with the Mac? Just get an up to date PC with Windows 7 and forget it.

Jack Burton

Established Member
I'd go with the Mac myself. Yes, it def costs more than a PC, no doubt about that. But, I feel the Mac OS is more stable. Afterall, it is based on Darwin Unix. Also, IMO opinion. less maintenance (i.e. constantly installing updates, running adware/spyware packages, antivirus, etc...). Then again, that's probably why I ran Linux for several years. Yes, Windows functions and gets the day to day tasks done. But, it is a PITA. Hopefully Win7 will be an improvement, but I'm going to give it more time in the field before I make a decision. My only grip about Apple, is their damn proprietary hardware jacking up the prices.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I was in the same boat 4 months ago and ended up buying a Macbook Pro. Best purchase I've ever made. Something about not getting constant error messages and the computer actually doing what I ask it to do just feels great.

Plus, for photo and/or video editing a Mac will definitely suit you better as far as software, peripherals and computing power/efficiency.

And if you REALLY like Windows, Apple has said that they will have support for Windows 7 by the end of the year. Can a PC partition a hard drive so you can run both OSX AND Windows 7 simultaneously?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
i would stick to p c but thats just me, why pay more for somthing that your going to run the same programs on, and have the same performance????

waste of dollars in my opinion

I like the overall package ad a whole. Wireless keyboard and buttonless mouse are nice. And the screen is excellent.

If I do decide pc, I'll have to get a screen now after seeing that one.

The Mac was $1899 with 4 core processor at 2.66ghz, 1 tb memory, 4gb of ram and the 27" LCD screen. How much cheaper are we talking for similar stuff on a pc? I've been told by a few to go through Dell and build an XPS machine.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I was in the same boat 4 months ago and ended up buying a Macbook Pro. Best purchase I've ever made. Something about not getting constant error messages and the computer actually doing what I ask it to do just feels great.

Plus, for photo and/or video editing a Mac will definitely suit you better as far as software, peripherals and computing power/efficiency.

And if you REALLY like Windows, Apple has said that they will have support for Windows 7 by the end of the year. Can a PC partition a hard drive so you can run both OSX AND Windows 7 simultaneously?

That's not the first time someone has said that to me. Lol

I know you can run xp on the mac which I would do for SCT and to watch blu-rays. They had it setup in the apple store when I went in last nite

GodStang

Established Member
I like the overall package ad a whole. Wireless keyboard and buttonless mouse are nice. And the screen is excellent.

If I do decide pc, I'll have to get a screen now after seeing that one.

The Mac was $1899 with 4 core processor at 2.66ghz, 1 tb memory, 4gb of ram and the 27" LCD screen. How much cheaper are we talking for similar stuff on a pc? I've been told by a few to go through Dell and build an XPS machine.

You can build an Dell XPS with the same stats for ~$1100 then you have $799 to buy a monitor. Now if you build your own you can go way cheaper and if you buy on black friday you will have some deals.

That being said Macs are very good computers and one of the best if not the best for video/imaging editing. The main reason I have never gone Apple (except I have 4 ipods) is the price is just way too much for an equal computer that will be out of date with in a year anyways. I usually just build mine or buy Dells.

Evenflow

Established Member
Enjoy paying 3x for a MAC than what you would building yourself.

I just upgraded from XP to W7 and the diff is like night and day.

I have not had ONE issue with Windows 7, and it is definitely faster than any other OS I have used before.

If you are rich and have cash to blow go for a MAC, if not, get a PC with 7 and be done with it.

GodStang

Established Member
Can a PC partition a hard drive so you can run both OSX AND Windows 7 simultaneously?

There is no need for that. The reason you partition a drive to run a Windows OS is to be able to be compatible with 90% of the market and to be able to run many programs that are Windows only programs. There are very very very very few Apple programs that you can not get on the PC. I have never seen hey I need this program but damn I need a Mac to run it. I have seen the opposite many times.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
You can build an Dell XPS with the same stats for ~$1100 then you have $799 to buy a monitor. Now if you build your own you can go way cheaper and if you buy on black friday you will have some deals.

That being said Macs are very good computers and one of the best if not the best for video/imaging editing. The main reason I have never gone Apple (except I have 4 ipods) is the price is just way too much for an equal computer that will be out of date with in a year anyways. I usually just build mine or buy Dells.

very good because of better software or do they have better parts?

I'm willing to pay if it's going to be better for what I want to do. I mean I did buy a Cobra and not a Gt. Haha

yea the out of date part sucks because I know USB 3.0 is on the horizon and that can't be swapped out in macs I don't believe.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
There is no need for that. The reason you partition a drive to run a Windows OS is to be able to be compatible with 90% of the market and to be able to run many programs that are Windows only programs. There are very very very very few Apple programs that you can not get on the PC. I have never seen hey I need this program but damn I need a Mac to run it. I have seen the opposite many times.

I don't care how you explain it. Macs have capability to run both, Windows can only run Windows. Simple math tells you that 2 is better than 1.

Stability of OSX
Compatibility of Windows

OR

Unstable, filled with viruses/spamware/adware/malware/other ridiculous problems/constant annoying updates/random error messages

Compatibility of Windows

Hmmm....tough one.

Before you call me an Apple nutswinger, I'll let you know that I use PCs daily, it was my choice that my company runs PC and I also have a PC desktop at home.

Jack Burton

Established Member
very good because of better software or do they have better parts?

I'm willing to pay if it's going to be better for what I want to do. I mean I did buy a Cobra and not a Gt. Haha

yea the out of date part sucks because I know USB 3.0 is on the horizon and that can't be swapped out in macs I don't believe.

As far as hardware goes, you can definitely build a PC with the same specs for much cheaper. Now, as far as the OS goes, IMO the Mac OS is definitely superior. It all boils down to, how much time you want to spend USING your computer versus MAINTAINING it.

LSUstang05

Established Member

The only thing that I've seen that Mac doesn't have is AutoCAD. Unless you need AutoCAD I don't think you'll see anything that you need to use that you can't on the Mac. Also, the Mac has a lot of software that comes with the computer. People fail to realize that every single new PC has absolutely zero software on it while the Mac's come loaded with software that will do picture editing, video editing, website development, and even create music. Also has a very good calendar and mail program included in it. Probably the best thing though is the included automatic backup software in Time Machine. Takes an image of your computer every hour on the hour to back up all of you files. MUCH MUCH better than Windows Restore since Time Machine allows you to just pull one file back and keep all of your files up until that point.

If you are going to be doing a lot video editing on a professional level and get a Mac, look into getting Final Cut Pro. At the Best Buy I'm at here, we are having a sale on all of our iMac's. I don't know if this is a company wide thing so you might want to check into it.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Enjoy paying 3x for a MAC than what you would building yourself.

I just upgraded from XP to W7 and the diff is like night and day.

I have not had ONE issue with Windows 7, and it is definitely faster than any other OS I have used before.

If you are rich and have cash to blow go for a MAC, if not, get a PC with 7 and be done with it.

I don't see 3x more price. Your not getting all of that for $630.

But why Mac if you HAD the money. Why not save that money and still get your pc that's 3x cheaper? Something obviously interests you about a Mac.

GodStang

Established Member
I don't care how you explain it. Macs have capability to run both, Windows can only run Windows. Simple math tells you that 2 is better than 1.

Stability of OSX
Compatibility of Windows

OR

Unstable, filled with viruses/spamware/adware/malware/other ridiculous problems/constant annoying updates/random error messages

Compatibility of Windows

Hmmm....tough one.

Before you call me an Apple nutswinger, I'll let you know that I use PCs daily, it was my choice that my company runs PC and I also have a PC desktop at home.

You can run OSX on a PC but its illegal. If you do not mind getting past that then you are fine. In the OSX user agreement it says you will only use it on an Apple computer. There was a guy who recently got sued millions because he did this and then started selling them. Microsoft does not have that in their user agreement which in the end allows you to run Microsoft OS on anything. Like I said if you don't mind breaking the law then you can. Therefor 2 = 2 but like I said there is Zero advantage to run OSX on a PC other than to say you did it.

BADASS03SVT on your questions about how much better will it run. If you get the stats you are talking about you should be able to run just about any video/imaging program you want on either and I am not sure if you would even notice the difference between the two. Yes USB 3.0 is coming out but if you keep putting off for the new technology you will never get anything. That is the way technology is. I waited 6 months for the Canon XSi to come out cause it was the best Canon in that bracket. With in a year they had the T1i out that was way better than the XSi. The wait was worthless.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
The only thing that I've seen that Mac doesn't have is AutoCAD. Unless you need AutoCAD I don't think you'll see anything that you need to use that you can't on the Mac. Also, the Mac has a lot of software that comes with the computer. People fail to realize that every single new PC has absolutely zero software on it while the Mac's come loaded with software that will do picture editing, video editing, website development, and even create music. Also has a very good calendar and mail program included in it. Probably the best thing though is the included automatic backup software in Time Machine. Takes an image of your computer every hour on the hour to back up all of you files. MUCH MUCH better than Windows Restore since Time Machine allows you to just pull one file back and keep all of your files up until that point.

If you are going to be doing a lot video editing on a professional level and get a Mac, look into getting Final Cut Pro. At the Best Buy I'm at here, we are having a sale on all of our iMac's. I don't know if this is a company wide thing so you might want to check into it.

I went to BB yesterday and they were $100 off. Sound right? Could I still get my state discount on top of that? And does BB carry the better model with the 4 core processor?

Final cut is also in my sights if I go with mac. I run adobe premier pro now

LSUstang05

Established Member
I went to BB yesterday and they were $100 off. Sound right? Could I still get my state discount on top of that? And does BB carry the better model with the 4 core processor?

Final cut is also in my sights if I go with mac. I run adobe premier pro now

I don't think you can still get the state discount with the sale they are having now. Essentially, BB is just giving everybody the education discount (sometimes it's better than the education discount depending on the model). And no, BB does not carry the 4 core processor. They do carry the 3.06Ghz processor, though. It's 1799 normally priced. I don't know what the sale price is on it.\

Edit: The 3.06Ghz Processor 27" iMac is normally $1699 and on sale it's $1599

Last edited:

Evenflow

Established Member
I don't see 3x more price. Your not getting all of that for $630.

But why Mac if you HAD the money. Why not save that money and still get your pc that's 3x cheaper? Something obviously interests you about a Mac.

Nothing interests me about MAC. Theres nothing a MAC can do that my PC cannot do, I promise you that.
He just sounded interested in a MAC is all, so if he has the money to burn be my guest.

I've never had a virus with my windows 7, never got hacked, etc, etc. I rarely get prompted for updates, maybe once every 3 months.

that is a moot argument whoever threw it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread