PCSing To Germany

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I just reenlisted for Germany (Im in the Army). I still havent came down on orders so I havent found out my exact location yet. I just wanted to see who all has been and what to expect with moving, shipping everything including the car! I've heard some good and some bad I just wanted to see what everyones expierence that has lived there thought! Any help would be appriciated! Im pretty excited to go in May/June! :beer:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
How long have you been in? I think I remember the threads about you joining. Didn't seem that long ago. Haven't been to Germany (except for pit stops), but from what I hear cold!

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
I was stationed in Germany back in the early 90's. I don't know how it is now but I loved it. Hopefully you will be staioned by a big city like Nuremberg. Food kicks ass so does the beer. The small towns are like walking into a Norman Rockwell painting. You will have a good time.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
That'll be cool.
You from Grove?

Close to it, actually from Langley but my wife is from Grove.

How long have you been in? I think I remember the threads about you joining. Didn't seem that long ago. Haven't been to Germany (except for pit stops), but from what I hear cold!

Ive been in 3 years, I was already in Iraq when I joined SVTP. And yea Ive had 4 pit stops there myself lol!

I was stationed in Germany back in the early 90's. I don't know how it is now but I loved it. Hopefully you will be staioned by a big city like Nuremberg. Food kicks ass so does the beer. The small towns are like walking into a Norman Rockwell painting. You will have a good time.

I'm excited about the beer lol! And I'm hoping I get a nice relaxed unit and not like 1AD...1CAV has wore me out on field time lol

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
My step dad was stationed in Germany for a couple of year. He used his vacation days to tour Europe. Said he loved every minute of it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I just reenlisted for Germany (Im in the Army). I still havent came down on orders so I havent found out my exact location yet. I just wanted to see who all has been and what to expect with moving, shipping everything including the car! I've heard some good and some bad I just wanted to see what everyones expierence that has lived there thought! Any help would be appriciated! Im pretty excited to go in May/June! :beer:

You will get out of Germany EXACTLY what you put into it. Since you aren't leaving till may/june take some German Languate classes. If you at least TRY to speak German they will appreciate it and help you out when you get stuck. And for God's sake do be one of the idiots who, when they find out the store clerk doesn't speak English, turns around a mutters under their breath 'stupid foreigner" (believe me I heard it more than once). Remember that YOU are the foreigner.

Spend your free time on the economy. There is huge amounts of history and places to see. Lead crystal is pretty cheap and they have some gorgeous pieces. it is a great place to see most of Europe from as well. Berlin, Munich, Bonn and Hamburg are must see places.

Your car - You shouldn't have any problems taking your car with you. IIRC there are a few minor mods you have to change on some vehicles. Go to the German Embassy and the U.S. State Depts websites for more information.

Get a copy of the German drivers license exam and begin studying now. The German drivers test is one of the hardest in the world and it is not unusual for military folk to have to take it several times before they finally pass it. Last I knew the U.S. Military was required to have a German Drivers license, when I was there at the U.S. Embassy in Bonn (now a consulate I think) we were lucky and didn't have to take the test LOL! My Army buddies were pissed *heh*

Whether or not it is cold depends on what part of Germany you get stationed to.

The Manalishi

Established Member
You will get out of Germany EXACTLY what you put into it. Since you aren't leaving till may/june take some German Languate classes. If you at least TRY to speak German they will appreciate it and help you out when you get stuck. And for God's sake do be one of the idiots who, when they find out the store clerk doesn't speak English, turns around a mutters under their breath 'stupid foreigner" (believe me I heard it more than once). Remember that YOU are the foreigner.

Spend your free time on the economy. There is huge amounts of history and places to see. Lead crystal is pretty cheap and they have some gorgeous pieces. it is a great place to see most of Europe from as well. Berlin, Munich, Bonn and Hamburg are must see places.

Your car - You shouldn't have any problems taking your car with you. IIRC there are a few minor mods you have to change on some vehicles. Go to the German Embassy and the U.S. State Depts websites for more information.

Get a copy of the German drivers license exam and begin studying now. The German drivers test is one of the hardest in the world and it is not unusual for military folk to have to take it several times before they finally pass it. Last I knew the U.S. Military was required to have a German Drivers license, when I was there at the U.S. Embassy in Bonn (now a consulate I think) we were lucky and didn't have to take the test LOL! My Army buddies were pissed *heh*

Whether or not it is cold depends on what part of Germany you get stationed to.

Good advice. Just to add to it. Germany is a great place I spent 9 years there. If you're in the Military you have to take the drivers test to get a USAREUR license, they do it on most of the installations. It is a pretty difficult test but if you study passing it is easy. Your car if it is in good working order you'll be fine. No rust, brakes functioning properly, no oil leaks and a complete exhsust system. They have inspections on post, they are pretty picky but if the stuff mentioned is good then you won't have any problems. Get off post and enjoy yourself. :beer:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Good advice. Just to add to it. Germany is a great place I spent 9 years there. If you're in the Military you have to take the drivers test to get a USAREUR license, they do it on most of the installations. It is a pretty difficult test but if you study passing it is easy. Your car if it is in good working order you'll be fine. No rust, brakes functioning properly, no oil leaks and a complete exhsust system. They have inspections on post, they are pretty picky but if the stuff mentioned is good then you won't have any problems. Get off post and enjoy yourself. :beer:

Uh oh, got alittle rust underneath, not bad at all but it used to be in NY before I bought it. Complete exhaust, and my Diff leaks alittle...maybe i should just sell it lol!

The Manalishi

Established Member
Nice post, most everything is pretty new. Its right next to the Grafenwoehr, where everyone goes to gunnery. Its kind of away from populated areas though so you have to take a trip to do most stuff other than eating and drinking. Its not too far from Nuernburg and a few other large cities. You'll like it.

saleensc281

Established Member
Vilsek is a very nice post with new anemities and what not. You will like Germany man, make sure you travel a lot...since you are in central europe. Ive been to Nurenburg once its not bad....but not one of the best major cities there. The military resort in Garmish is close by, great if you like sking and snow boarding. Its right on the German and Austria border, really nice scenery. Make sure you take advantage of the USO Tours as well. Def study up for the driving test...a lot of guys fail the first time they take it. You possibly might do a lot of field time thought, I did quite a bit when I was there and that was before Iraq started. Overall man its a good time and experiance. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread