Pcv delete and air breathers

lons13

Established Member
To do a pcv delete on an 04 cobra what must be done?
I plugged the inlet on cai. Placed a breather on passgr side valve cover. I removed the pcv hose from the drivers side. Do i just plug the inlet on the t fitting on the lower manifold where the pcv hose was removed? Or do i remove the t fitting and cap off that port? Does the other outlet on the t fitting go to the blower? Anyone have pics ? Thanks

big dad

Established Member
Why are you doing this? By putting breathers on it your're introducing umetered air into the motor.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Why are you doing this? By putting breathers on it your're introducing umetered air into the motor.

How does this introduce unmetered air? The breathers are on the valve/cam covers and there shouldn't be any air getting from that area on top of the heads to the cylinders. I've always wondered how this led people to believe that air would somehow get into the cylinders :shrug:

lons13

Established Member
I put a plug in the bottom of the lower intake, but that was because it was off for a blower change anyway. If you just plug that line that comes from under the intake you will be fine.

Okay. So i leave the t-fitting in the lower manifold and just cap off the inlet side that goes to the drivers side valce cover
Where the pcv was?

big dad

Established Member
How does this introduce unmetered air? The breathers are on the valve/cam covers and there shouldn't be any air getting from that area on top of the heads to the cylinders. I've always wondered how this led people to believe that air would somehow get into the cylinders :shrug:

OK, don't believe me? Try this. Look at your fuel trims driving in stock (PCV) working condition.

Now either pull the dipstick out, or remove the oil cap, then drive it and watch the fuel trims start to lean. Umetered air is air that is being introduced into the motor that is not going through the MAF.

I've seen this alot when I was a driveability Tech. for Ford.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
OK, don't believe me? Try this. Look at your fuel trims driving in stock (PCV) working condition.

Now either pull the dipstick out, or remove the oil cap, then drive it and watch the fuel trims start to lean. Umetered air is air that is being introduced into the motor that is not going through the MAF.

I've seen this alot when I was a driveability Tech. for Ford.

So, you are saying that the rings are that shitty? For that air to get into the cylinders it would have to go through there from the crankcase, or through the valve seals.
When you did your test, did you plug the PCV line to the intake?
If not, then your test means nothing for what we are doing. If you would put breathers on and leave the stock lines for the PCV connected, then yes there would be unmetered air getting into the lower intake. Since that isn't what we are doing, your results aren't valid for this particular setup.

big dad

Established Member
So, you are saying that the rings are that shitty? For that air to get into the cylinders it would have to go through there from the crankcase, or through the valve seals.
When you did your test, did you plug the PCV line to the intake?
If not, then your test means nothing for what we are doing. If you would put breathers on and leave the stock lines for the PCV connected, then yes there would be unmetered air getting into the lower intake. Since that isn't what we are doing, your results aren't valid for this particular setup.

Well, I understand you point, however I still disagree. Perhaps one of the tuners will see this thread and offer an opinion.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Running breathers for a long time, vacuum is fine, short term fuel trims on both banks nearly identical, plenty of guys run them or catch cans..

agpatrick12

Established Member
The "unmetered air" only enters the system when there is a breather on the passenger side valve cover and the pcv still in exact stock oem orientation on the drivers valve cover. If both valve covers have breathers then they are at equilibrium and no unmetered air will enter.

50GTMach1

Established Member
I bought my car and the breathers were already installed on both valve cover by previous owner. Both breathers are saturated with oil and oil is very slowly dripping onto valve covers. Is there a remedy for this?
Thanks

roshea

So my question is can I use a passenger side filter if I am running the PCV into a catch can and a CIL check valve oil cap breather? It allows pressure out but does not allow any in.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
The "unmetered air" only enters the system when there is a breather on the passenger side valve cover and the pcv still in exact stock oem orientation on the drivers valve cover. If both valve covers have breathers then they are at equilibrium and no unmetered air will enter.
This^ if you delete both sides and plug the lower intake no unmetered air gets in. People usually make the mistake of putting a breather on one side or the other, or leaving the back of the lower intake unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread