Pcv oil separator installation

Weslsew

Established Member
How are you guys installing your pcv oil separators? It seems that most are plugging off the line from the bottom of the lower intake, and running the separator inline between the pcv valve and the top blower port.

It seems to me that the hose from the lower intake provides positive pressure to the system under boost, which closes off the pcv valve and prevents blowby from entering the blower top port, and instead forcing it out the passenger valve cover into the intake tube. If you cap off the hose from the lower intake, your pcv valve is probably open under boost, and allowing blowby to enter the blower top port (after going through the separator of course), but still. However, it also seems that the hose from the lower intake bleeds off boost back into the blower top port.

I don't see a way to keep the pcv valve closed under boost while eliminating the boost bleed off. It seems it's either that option or just hope the separator does its job and cleans the blowby enough before it enters the engine. What are you guys doing?

Woody6799

Established Member
What blower are you running? On my TVS I capped everything and ran the PCV valves to a breather can. This is the only way it seems to ensure you have no oil blow back as it is all separated. I will most likely install the can somewhere on the back of the crash bar.

I haven't run it like that yet though. Car is not back up and running.

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
Upr catch can on the passanger side

FD14B80E-30C6-4A01-AB7F-DC172FB41545.jpg

pre filter on the drivers side but I kept the oem PCV with it .

7EB291A1-3C1C-4407-B2F7-28E269385C69.jpg

7896FC18-E8D4-4010-AFDE-63FB934C58C1.jpg

cj428mach

Established Member
Upr catch can on the passanger side

FD14B80E-30C6-4A01-AB7F-DC172FB41545.jpg

pre filter on the drivers side but I kept the oem PCV with it .

7EB291A1-3C1C-4407-B2F7-28E269385C69.jpg

7896FC18-E8D4-4010-AFDE-63FB934C58C1.jpg

Does the UPR catch a lot of oil?

My car use to have a steeda separator (just an air compressor moisture trap) and it worked wonders on keeping the intercooler clean and it always caught a lot of oil. I then switched my car over to a JLT for the improved looks and it hardly ever has any oil in it and when I had my blower off last the intercooler wasn't looking brand new like it use to with the Steeda.

I've been meaning to find a new separator to replace the JLT but I just keep forgetting.

Woody6799

Established Member
Does the UPR catch a lot of oil?

My car use to have a steeda separator (just an air compressor moisture trap) and it worked wonders on keeping the intercooler clean and it always caught a lot of oil. I then switched my car over to a JLT for the improved looks and it hardly ever has any oil in it and when I had my blower off last the intercooler wasn't looking brand new like it use to with the Steeda.

I've been meaning to find a new separator to replace the JLT but I just keep forgetting.

I have heard the JLT's are terrible. One of the reasons I decided to just delete the whole thing

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
I really like the upr can, just didn't like the tubing route it came with so I got my own stuff .

I've only had it for about 1000 miles just a few drops in it for now.

As far as the jlt prefilter, I'm not sure if it's doing it job to be honest- I like the upr can so much I've actually thought about putting one on the drivers side valve cover aswell and leaving the oem pcv valve

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
IMO many of the popular aftermarket setups have to small of line/fittings, I just finished mine, 5/8" on passenger side VC, and 3/4" on the driver side VC.

cobra underhood plumbing final pic.JPG

catch can line/fitting missing in pic,
bypass removed.JPG

Weslsew

Established Member
Thanks guys, but what are you doing with the hose from the lower intake manifold?

IMO many of the popular aftermarket setups have to small of line/fittings, I just finished mine, 5/8" on passenger side VC, and 3/4" on the driver side VC.

That is another question I had. I think mine came with hose that is too small to fit on the back of the eaton. And, I believe from my guessing that the pcv valve fitting is 3/8" so, I guess I'm going to need some various hoses and reducers

Woody6799

Established Member
the pcv valves are 3/8 as is the hose coming from the lower intake. IDK what size the stock eaton has though

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
What size hose fits on the back of the blower, is it a 9/16" or will 5/8" work?

I used 3/4" to 5/8" reducer to connect to existing connections since my catch can is 3/4" in & out.... but the 9/16" would be easier to insert in the hose, the 5/8" was a little tight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread