Peanut inside the Dorito (Rotary)

quad

Established Member
Pretty sure I'm gonna need @James Snover to hop on in here and do some splaining'.
We're not even an atom. We're a quark-equivalent. Got to have three of them to have a proton or neutron. So we're not even an atom. We're one part of whatever protons or neutrons scale up to. If we're lucky, we'll snag a free electron and _then_ we'll be an atom.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Pretty sure I'm gonna need @James Snover to hop on in here and do some splaining'.
They're using internal passages in the epitrochoidal rotor for intake, which also lets it be used to cool the combustion surface of the rotor. It also, very conveniently, let's them reclaim some of the heat that would otherwise be lost to the cooling system. Everyone knows engines run best when the intake charge is as cool as possible. But what is never mentioned is this: if you could somehow add some heat back to the intake charge just as it is entering the cylinder, then you have made your engine more efficient. Heat in the combustion chamber up to the point it melts the piston (or other combustion surface, in this case) is what it is all about. Of course, you can't let it get too hot, because then you also get a truckload of _very_ nasty oxides of nitrogen; the worst of all the smog-causing combustion engine pollutants.

I still see the same, if not worse, problems with sealing as the traditional Wankel. Got to seal all those side-surfaces against the case. And then you have to lubricate those seals.

Neat idea, if they can fix those issues.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
One other thing: if they can make it out of low-expansion ceramics, that might make it more practical. But that's a whole host of other problems.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
One other thing comes to mind: they could port the case with an intake and exhaust port, and the this would run like a two-cycle engine, firing on every compression stroke. You would double your power and eliminate the porting through the crank and piston/rotor. Even better, if you could figure out how to seal it and lubricate it, you wouldn't have to have premixed gas/oil in the combustion chamber.

Still have to figure out how to seal it and lubricate it. And cool it. Because with more power in a smaller space always comes more heat.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
One other thing comes to mind: they could port the case with an intake and exhaust port, and the this would run like a two-cycle engine, firing on every compression stroke. You would double your power and eliminate the porting through the crank and piston/rotor. Even better, if you could figure out how to seal it and lubricate it, you wouldn't have to have premixed gas/oil in the combustion chamber.

Still have to figure out how to seal it and lubricate it. And cool it. Because with more power in a smaller space always comes more heat.

Current DI 2 strokes burn ridiculously little oil, modern cats could handle easily.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
They're using internal passages in the epitrochoidal rotor for intake, which also lets it be used to cool the combustion surface of the rotor. It also, very conveniently, let's them reclaim some of the heat that would otherwise be lost to the cooling system. Everyone knows engines run best when the intake charge is as cool as possible. But what is never mentioned is this: if you could somehow add some heat back to the intake charge just as it is entering the cylinder, then you have made your engine more efficient. Heat in the combustion chamber up to the point it melts the piston (or other combustion surface, in this case) is what it is all about. Of course, you can't let it get too hot, because then you also get a truckload of _very_ nasty oxides of nitrogen; the worst of all the smog-causing combustion engine pollutants.

I still see the same, if not worse, problems with sealing as the traditional Wankel. Got to seal all those side-surfaces against the case. And then you have to lubricate those seals.

Neat idea, if they can fix those issues.

I’m sorry sir but you can please type that out in English

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Current DI 2 strokes burn ridiculously little oil, modern cats could handle easily.
Interesting! I did not know that. Ok: design the crankcase so it is slightly leaky, allowing some high pressure combustion gasses into the unfired chamber, and boom: you don't need an EGR system. And you don't have to worry too much about sealing it.

Users who are viewing this thread