Penny Offense

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member
Penny offense: Man fined for paying fee in pennies | The Upshot Yahoo! News

Read the article this morning while checking the email. Basically a man did not believe he owed a medical clinic 25 dollars. He went in and dumped 2500 pennies on the counter with an attitude and said ya'll can count them. Police were called and the man was charged with disorderly conduct.

I dont see this sticking, I was under the impression if a company refuses to accept legal tender your debt is basically erased. Anyhow I thought it was funny he actually got charged, wonder if he'll pay the fine in pennies ??

Discuss........

Last edited:

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Along these same lines, my bank sometimes does not want to count change. As a 40 year account holder, I feel it is my right to have my change converted on demand. It is a service my bank should provide to me. Nowadays they even want to charge for this service. I refuse to pay. I ask for them to do this as a courtesy to me about once a year. If I get a teller who won't cooperate, I get a stack of deposit slips and deposit the change into my account a couple dollars at a time. Holding this line up for hours if necessary to make my point is acceptable to me. It never takes long for them to change their mind and do what I asked.

Jim

Black 03 Mach

Roll Tide
Established Member
Along these same lines, my bank sometimes does not want to count change. As a 40 year account holder, I feel it is my right to have my change converted on demand. It is a service my bank should provide to me. Nowadays they even want to charge for this service. I refuse to pay. I ask for them to do this as a courtesy to me about once a year. If I get a teller who won't cooperate, I get a stack of deposit slips and deposit the change into my account a couple dollars at a time. Holding this line up for hours if necessary to make my point is acceptable to me. It never takes long for them to change their mind and do what I asked.

Jim

As a teller i would give you coin wrappers and that would be it.

rubicon04

SVT Poster
Established Member

And im sure alot of customers wouldnt be pleased with that. I actually had a similar situation a few monthes back. I brought in a mason jug full of change, it was something like $ 260 and there was a new teller that was not pleased at all. He informed me I should take it to a coinstar machine which takes something like 10 cents on the dollar. I inturn informed him I had a mortgage with the bank aswell as a larger line of credit and a long relationship with my personal banker, not to mention they have a coin counter and roller. Long story short my change got deposited rather quickly after the Branch manager had a whisper in his ear

Last edited:

Black 03 Mach

Roll Tide
Established Member
And im sure alot of customers wouldnt be pleased with that. I actually had a similar situation a few monthes back. I brought in a mason jug full of change, it was something like $ 260 and there was a new teller that was not pleased at all. He informed i should take it to a coinstar machine which take something like 10 cents on the dollar. I inturn informed him i had mortgage with the bank aswell as a larger line of credit and a long relationship with my personal banker not to mention they have coin counter and roller. Long story short my change got deposited rather quickly after the Branch manager had a whisper in his ear

It would make my hair stand on end too but i work in a high traffic branch. Coinstar is bs and the only bank i know with a coincounter is td and they charge noncustomers nowadays.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member

I have always rolled my coins before bringing them to my credit union, but one day the lady said not to that they had a counter and was a real bitch about it. The next time I had about $50 in change I went out of my way to roll it again and ended up with the same lady. I just smiled and gave her the bag. You could hear her break each roll open and put it in the machine. She looked so pissed.

haha

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member

If they do not want my business, I will be happy to move my accounts to their competitor. The branch manager would freak out if a teller lost my accounts(and my family's business) over not wanting to use the change counting machine. The teller has to realize that servicing customers like myself is the only reason they are employed. They are not doing me any "favors".

As far as wrappers? I did not deposit enough on any slip to need them. And the line I use has no transaction limits.

Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread