People with or soon will have blown 5.0, please come in

lsp408

Established Member
Hi, I have been reading lots of advertising for varies of supercharger companies, and looks like every company out there trying to make their blower super quiet or ultra quiet.....

I have never own a car with blower but is looking serious into getting one for my 5.0. My deal is that if I pay $$$$ on the blower, I really want it to be loud (personal preference)

Question: which of blower makes most noise?

Thanks

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Depends if you mean loud when you're getting on it or loud at idle.

Loud at idle would be a Procharger with the standard gears or a V1 Vortech.

At WOT would be any root or twin screw blower.

lsp408

Established Member
The blower I am thinking about are:

procharger $6000
vortech $5200
roush charger $5400

Question: what is the difference between FRPP blower kit and Roush Charger kit? Roush is little cheaper.

I know everyone say that top mount looks good but problem with heat soak, and the procharger and vortech make more power but more pain to install and look kinda messy under the hood.

Kennebell is too $$$$ for me

kyoshosp2

Established Member
ummm no i have installed them all. the PD blowes are much more time consuming to install. procharger is the easiest,then vortech then roush and whipple.

kevinp

Established Member
I'd say the procharger is the easiest as well.

But the PDs are more OE looking, I'm leaning towards the Roush but the grinding the cam covers I'm not that thrilled about. Not that big of a deal to do but if you want to put the car back stock its kind of hard to cover that up. Not sure if the FRPP uses the same drive system.

I think the procharger would be the easiest to remove without a trace.

But there is more to it than sound and ease of installation. A centrifugal and positive displacement blower are two different things. The PD is going to make a lot more low end, centri will pretty much just amplify the stock power curve. Both can be tuned around to produce excellent ETs, if I was an auto and keeping the stock torque converter the PD would get the nod.

As far as air to air vs air to water, cant get any simpler than air to air, nothing to fail. Air to water you have to add some extra parts that can stop working and/or leak but if its sized properly they work very well. The HO A2A intercooler from procharger looks a bit small to me, the stage 2 is much better but you are replacing the original shroud and fan and I'm not crazy about that.

Do the research, hundreds of articles and posts on all of them, its a lot of money to spend and not be happy..

Your prices look a little off too..

JL-KA

Established Member
Twin screws sound the best to me. Note that the twin screw and roots on the market are only quiet because of their intake design. Optional intakes make them scream like they should.
Personally, I love KB blowers.
This is what a blown Mustang should sound like.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNvyiceS3EE"]YouTube - Shelby GT500 Kenne bell 2.8L Supercharger Kit[/nomedia]

lsp408

Established Member
I'd say the procharger is the easiest as well.

But the PDs are more OE looking, I'm leaning towards the Roush but the grinding the cam covers I'm not that thrilled about. Not that big of a deal to do but if you want to put the car back stock its kind of hard to cover that up. Not sure if the FRPP uses the same drive system.

I think the procharger would be the easiest to remove without a trace.

But there is more to it than sound and ease of installation. A centrifugal and positive displacement blower are two different things. The PD is going to make a lot more low end, centri will pretty much just amplify the stock power curve. Both can be tuned around to produce excellent ETs, if I was an auto and keeping the stock torque converter the PD would get the nod.

As far as air to air vs air to water, cant get any simpler than air to air, nothing to fail. Air to water you have to add some extra parts that can stop working and/or leak but if its sized properly they work very well. The HO A2A intercooler from procharger looks a bit small to me, the stage 2 is much better but you are replacing the original shroud and fan and I'm not crazy about that.

Do the research, hundreds of articles and posts on all of them, its a lot of money to spend and not be happy..

Your prices look a little off too..

Actually the price is way off. I just found from vortech website and blue oval for roush. I was guessing on the procharger. looks like all of them going to cost $4000 to $6000.

I will do more research like you recommended. This will be something completely new to me.

Its still hard to believe the FRPP is alot harder to install than procharger.

kevinp

Established Member
Actually the price is way off. I just found from vortech website and blue oval for roush. I was guessing on the procharger. looks like all of them going to cost $4000 to $6000.

I will do more research like you recommended. This will be something completely new to me.

Its still hard to believe the FRPP is alot harder to install than procharger.

With either the roush or FRPP you have to do some wiring, swap intake manifolds, do some plumbing for the air to water etc. The procharger bolts on externally pretty much, only thing is adding the crank pulley. If you have an auto you have to get a little creative tightening the crank pulley bolt if you dont have air tools.

1/2 the fun is the research, and the other 1/2 is the frustrations of figuring out what to buy by reading internet posts. I would buy whichever from someone who has actually installed and tuned what you want, not just the cheapest mail order place, in case you get stuck when installing it and have questions.

CGoeschel

Established Member
Ive got the Procharger with the helical gears instead of the straight cut ones (i had that on my 2006). I love the sound. Just loud enough while tooling around not to be too obnoxious but loud enough that people turn around and you can tell by the look on their face that they know that there's something lurking under the hood that isnt stock. Fred at Evolution talked me into the Helical gears (i was going to go straight cut again) because its more "refined" sounding instead of "grinding" with no difference in performance.

img1640hu.jpg

lsp408

Established Member
sounds like procharger maybe the winner for me. now I just need to see about the price of getting one.

no matter what, its for sure not a pocket change to get blown...

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Listen from the 52 second mark on. That's how our car sounds with a 2.9L Whipple.

[youtube_browser]aMl6E07pz1Q[/youtube_browser]

Users who are viewing this thread