Performance addon advice (help a newbie out)

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

C:\Socuments and Dettings
Established Member
well...Im starting to get that itch. Yes you all know what that itch is and its hard to ignore....The "adding performance" itch to your car. I am brand spankin new to the automotive performance scene (was into speakers and amps before I got my SVT) but now I'd like to get into modding the car performance wise. However I dont wanna go forced induction, want it to be N/A, for longevity reasons. So what can I basically do to it to squeeze out more performance. I know I should get a new tune ( I am bone stock BTW). But I was thinking I should do mods first and then get the tune? Not sure. Any suggestions and places to go to shop would be very appreciated. Thanx in advance. :rockon:

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
Well, on the tune issue there are two ways to look at it. If you get a tune now, your car will run better no doubt...but if you do any serious mods you will have to get another tune. If you just do light mods now you can hold off on getting a tune till you get into the heavier stuff (which is what I am going to do).

I have a short throw shifter, a MBRP exhaust, and an AEM Cool air intake. The STS is real nice, the exhaust is somewhat pointless right now, I mainly got it for looks and sound (sounds like a rally car :D , but not ricey in the least) and the AEM added some pep. I think most will tell you right off the back, best bang for buck is an off road pipe. Sadly with my move away from Houston I have slipped out of my heavy research stage so I cant really tell you what the latest is on performance mods for our cars. But there are lots of people on here that can. Welcome and I am sure your going to love your car even more as time passes.

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
Thx bro...as for the offroad pipe...yeah I wanna/need to keep the thing smog worthy I live in california and the laws are strict with that crap. Plus Im not so mechanically inclined that I would be able to remove and replace the offroad pipe intermintently. For the STS, where did you get it? did it help with shifting that much? how hard was it the install?

Daeron

Established Member
If you get a tune from hypillauto.com, he includes 6 months of free updates, so if you get something that requires a tune change, he'll send ya an updated tune file :) He also sells 1 yr subscriptions so that you can prolong that.

In SoCal, you gotta be careful with all that smog control stuff (even a tune is not legal to have). Make sure whatever you get is CARB certified and you should be good to go. Things that you can do that you don't have to worry about most CARB stuff: STS, rear engine mount (do those 2 together for maximum effect), intake, exhaust, cosmetic stuff (headlights, tail lights, etc.), suspension.

The STS takes about 45 min to do and that is if you are drinking a 6 pack while doing it. It is very easy to do and the shifts become much crisper. Only thing you'll have to get used to is you have to kinda pop the shifter to get it into reverse (i.e. you have to use some force to get it over the reverse gate, I usually just use a slapping motion to do it), but it's not that much of a pain :)

To stay on the good side of the law, just make sure that your stuff is CARB legal, and keep documentation for all that in the glove box in case some jackass cop decides to pull you over.

Have fun with the itch, it's very addictive :banana:

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Just so you know, don't be scared of FI, NA or FI with the proper tune is all the same. It will last just as long, as long as you have the tune. It's all in the tune bro.

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
HalfTime said:
Just so you know, don't be scared of FI, NA or FI with the proper tune is all the same. It will last just as long, as long as you have the tune. It's all in the tune bro.

Nice yes I am coming to realize that. You know I think the first I'll do is get a K&N OEM replacemnt filter. Easiest thign to do asside from flashing the car. Also it seems to me like it woiul;d require alot of work to put on a different intake be it Cold air or short because the stock system looks complicated to remove. Is this true?

Anaxagoras1986

Established Member
As I understand it, the stock intake and snorkel system is pretty suffecient and after market ones don't do very much. Same goes with the exhaust.

bobosfocus

flewbyU
Established Member
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
Nice yes I am coming to realize that. You know I think the first I'll do is get a K&N OEM replacemnt filter. Easiest thign to do asside from flashing the car. Also it seems to me like it woiul;d require alot of work to put on a different intake be it Cold air or short because the stock system looks complicated to remove. Is this true?

CAI is cake to install. 30-45min max. STS is the same. Do the lower rear motor mount. Makes a huge difference! A cheap easy mod that won't make the car go faster, but makes it more driveable is a dead pedal from Redline. Looks good too! :beer:

Last edited:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Welcome to the Family bro. these guys can give you more info than you will ever need, (they helped me ALOT) I also have the itch, my intake is on the way, and im still looking for a 65mm TB (Throttle Body) I also bought decals, thats (50 hp right there) lol... What color SVTF do you have??? The more i drive mine, the more i love it. ;-)

6SpeedLover

Established Member
Sorry to post again, but a guy that was into all the Audio stuff, what do you think of the factory system they put in the SVTF??? This damn thing hits pretty hard for a stock system..

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

Established Member
6SpeedLover said:
Sorry to post again, but a guy that was into all the Audio stuff, what do you think of the factory system they put in the SVTF??? This damn thing hits pretty hard for a stock system..

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"
Yes actually the premium audio package that comes with the SVT or I should say CAN come with it is the second best sounding stock system I've ever heard. The best sounding system, for stock, I think would be the Mach 1000 system that you could get in some mustang varieties. But yeah because my stock SVT system sounds so good I will probably not rip everything out right away :idea: What would have been just excellent though is if the CD changer could play MP3s and CD-RW discs. That would just rock :banana: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread