Performance mods for 1997 Cobra

97cobraforever

Established Member
Hey guys,
I'm just looking for a little advice.
I just got a 1997 Cobra a month ago.
it has a rebuilt engine,
flowmaster 40 mufflers, BBK cold air intake, and that's about it.

im really looking to increase performance and wondering if any of you guys have any advice.
what I need advice on, is gearing and a couple other things.

what is the best gearing for street and free way use
Doesn't drain my gas a ton
wont wear down my transmission
and will increase my times around the street.

also, I wanted to ask if any of you have any experience with Flowmaster 10's and also Pypes M80. I'm really looking for something louder than flowmaster 40's but, I don't want to do a muffler delete.
i just want it to be louder than flowmaster 40's. I like the deep sound but a little bit of crackling and popping... Just a little... But louder

also,
are pace setter headers even any good?
are jet flow MAF's any good?
have you guys used any super chargers or throttle bodies, and have they increased performance?
any tuners that would work?
i just wanna mod this thing out
no ricer spoilers and stuff.
just a loud beast that's ready to pull hard.

thanks guys.
much appreciation.

shurur

Established Member
This is the best list of na mods for your car. This list is a comp of mods recommended by nasvt, he is THE NA EXPERT.

Pacesetters have gotten pretty good reviews lately and appear to tuck under the car quite well.

Na svt recommends the ford plastic lightning maf because it flows the best... (and probably doesn't soak up heat from the engine bay.)

#############

NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~300 RWHP with 96-98 DOHC B-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
B-Head SRI
90mm LMAF
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

350 RWHP:
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
Tune.

Last edited:

cbrown9064

Established Member
4.10 gears are good, really wakes the car up. How much do you want to spend? That will help us give you thoughts ...

97cobraforever

Established Member
I will most likely go from mod to mod over a course of time as I get more money in my pocket.
But I'm really a fan of the flowmaster chambered sound, and in wondering if the 10's are louder than the 40's.
Also
How much horsepower and flow should I expect if I go shorty pace setter headers?
I've never heard of the ford lightning MAF sensor??
If there a horsepower difference?
Also, I heard 4.10 gears limit the top speed? Is this true?
And I also heard it is very hard on the transmission and sucks on gas mileage?
Will it improve my acceleration and 0-60 times?

Also
Sorry about all these questions...
But I live in California and it's the summer and weather is usually between anywhere from 65-75 on a late night and 80-113 on a midday to after noon.
Is it normal to lose horsepower because of the heat.
And is it normal to lose fuel efficiency as well? I live in Cali and the gas prices here are higher than anywhere else in the country. Gas is taxed much higher here.

Thanks guys... I really appreciate it.
I'm new to SVT/Cobra mustangs
My step dad has a saleen that was modified from a GT.
My brother has a 97 Gt and I used to have an 03 V6.
So I haven't had much experience working on this car.

JCP281

Corner Carvin
Established Member
Shorty headers are a waste of money. Stick with long tubes. The lightning MAF sensor is the MAF used on the Ford Lightning truck. 4.10s are fine. Yes they will "limit" your top speed, but your top speed in 4th will still be way more than you will trap in the 1/4 mile, so who cares? If you mod the hell out of the car and start trapping close to 120 then yea you might run out of gear, but then all you have to do is run a taller tire.

Gears are the single best mod, short of forced induction of some kind. Its the only mod you feel.

97cobraforever

Established Member
Wow. Sounds great. I will definitely consider them. I had another question though.

I have another topic though,

Every time I turn my steering wheel at low speeds it makes a hissing sound and I'm not exactly sure what it is. Whenever I go over rough bumps while driving or going over speed bumps it makes a moderate sounding squeaking or creaking noise from the front end.
I think it's the sway arm bushings..? Any ideas?

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
I have 10 series and they are definitely louder than 2 chamber 40 series, solid clean tone with catted X or o/r H

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Top speed will actually be higher with 4.10s or 4.30s due to being able to pull all the way to redline instead of hitting an imaginary brick wall.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Wow. Sounds great. I will definitely consider them. I had another question though.

I have another topic though,

Every time I turn my steering wheel at low speeds it makes a hissing sound and I'm not exactly sure what it is. Whenever I go over rough bumps while driving or going over speed bumps it makes a moderate sounding squeaking or creaking noise from the front end.
I think it's the sway arm bushings..? Any ideas?

Tie rods ends. The stock ones were not fitted with a zerk and dry out. Investigate those.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Hurts more than it helps. Adds no power.. If your looking to get more power try to find a stock one or Jlt. But if ur a chrome lover like my cousin then keep it.

97cobraforever

Established Member
I have 10 series and they are definitely louder than 2 chamber 40 series, solid clean tone with catted X or o/r H

How much different do they sound?
How much louder?
Sorry,
I kind of believe in the belief that if it's a cobra, it needs to scream. And 40's are more of a muffler for trucks if you ask me.
No offense guys.

97cobraforever

Established Member
Top speed will actually be higher with 4.10s or 4.30s due to being able to pull all the way to redline instead of hitting an imaginary brick wall.

Ya I don't really get that.
I pull in 4th until about 115-125 mph
Until redline.
Is that stock gears?
I'm the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner had no idea what was put on the car nor did he care.
Thanks

97cobraforever

Established Member
Hey fox.
I just bought M80's and they're on their way from American muscle.
How do they sound?
I want to know before I have them installed.
Could you maybe send me a start up video
Rev
And warm start?
Please, it would help tons.
Thank you.
Please send it to my email if you are able to
[email protected]

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I posted this in another thread, but if you have Instagram, search for KOMOsport and its the most recent video. I can also try and get you a startup and rev video as well.

Users who are viewing this thread