Performance Radiator

jsnm

Established Member
Is the Hi-performance thicker aluminum radiator worth it? Does anyone here have one in their truck?

Im going to be getting the electric fan setup from LFP and the water pump as well,but i dont know if i should go for the rad too or not.

My old radiator is actually verrrry slowly leaking because i over tightened the drain plug and it snapped off inside and cracked it slightly.
What do you guys think?

02KBSVTF150

I just put my LFP radiator in last night. It was really simple and a direct bolt in. I cant tell you if it is worth it or not because I have yet to test it out. I was on my way home from the shop last night and I think my L ate one of my spark plugs. Shes missing on one or two cylinders now, but the radiator looks really pretty.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
It's most definitely not worth it and I own one. The stock radiator is more than efficient enough. Even for a highly modified engine. Save your money for something useful. And if you really want to lower the coolant temps, throw a lower temp thermostat in there.

BTW, if your truck is a DD, you may want to reconsider that electric water pump idea....

jsnm

Established Member
Hmmm,well that definitely helps getting some honest input.
Im not going electric water pump though,just e-fans and a navigator water pump to go with it.Its not a daily driver anyways.
If i do that and put a lower thermostat dont i have to reprogram that in the computer?

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
It's most definitely not worth it and I own one. The stock radiator is more than efficient enough. Even for a highly modified engine. Save your money for something useful. And if you really want to lower the coolant temps, throw a lower temp thermostat in there.

BTW, if your truck is a DD, you may want to reconsider that electric water pump idea....

sadly tho thatll only keep initial temps low...eventually they will end up around stock :p

Robert Francis

Established Member
As noted, the stock radiator seems very sufficient. The LFP radiator may cool somewhat better, but if you do a "search"' in here and on other forums, I doubt you'll find many, if any, that had an overheating problem due to the stock radiator.

tpr103

Established Member
i bougth an LFP rad. for my truck. just got it the other day. since my truck was n/a i think it had a smaller rad in it. not sure though. anyways im replacing everything in the damn truck anyways so why not the rad.

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
i bougth an LFP rad. for my truck. just got it the other day. since my truck was n/a i think it had a smaller rad in it. not sure though. anyways im replacing everything in the damn truck anyways so why not the rad.

same here....I originally had the smaller N/A radiator so I upgraded to the LFP rather than the stock S/C radiator. Had it in 2-1/2 years now and working great. The one I have is actually LFP's first aluminum heavy duty radiator prototype

LFP%2002.jpg

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
I installed my LFP radiator, and gave it some serious testing in 90* heat sitting in traffic on the highway, my coolant temps were a minimum of 10* lower than with my stock 2002 radiator, and I also ran about 4 hours hard on Watkins Glen road course and noticed lower operating temps as well.

Last year with the stock radiator and a 170 t-stat in 70-75* ambient temps I would pull in off the road course at about 195-200* coolant temps, this year in 85* ambient I was coming in with 185* coolant temps, which is pretty impressive to me.

I say go for it :)

jsnm

Established Member
Definitely some more good advice thanks again.

Question on electronic fans though.Would the best setup be as advertised with the 1 fan and a shroud,or just use 2 huge fans side by side with no shroud?
Would it hurt w/out a shroud?

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Definitely some more good advice thanks again.

Question on electronic fans though.Would the best setup be as advertised with the 1 fan and a shroud,or just use 2 huge fans side by side with no shroud?
Would it hurt w/out a shroud?

I'd get a shroud.

jsnm

Established Member
Any reason why though? Seems it would get better airflow with no shroud and 2 side by side fans covering most of the face of the radiator.

tpr103

Established Member
the shroud kinda funnels the air and puts it right on the motor. espaecailly while driving. that is why the shroud is the same size as the rad. it forces the air .

Users who are viewing this thread