*Phase 3* Carburetor Swap and Spool'd Rear End

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So I am essentially DONE with my carburetor swap ;]

The only thing holding me back from firing the car up last night...was my fuel line from the regulator to the fuel log was leaking at the fitting[which figures..because that was the ONLY fitting that I did not install myself, it was already on the hose when I got it]...I was simply too tired to want to deal with it and just went to bed. However my fuel pressure gauge did build up 6.5# of pressure so that is about right.

I also made my base line tune for it and uploaded it to my MSD.

EWP is installed as well as my mechanical oil pressure gauge.

So now I'm just eating real quick [I woke up to a full PAN of fried rice that my mother had made before she left....MMMMMHMMMMMM] and then I head out to start going over everything and double, triple checking EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE.

As excited as I am to finally have her fired up and hear her idling again for the first time in a year..I'm deathly terrified. So keep your fingers crossed for me guys!

Oh yea..I was just told the other day that my new block was finished and that my new custom crank, rods, pistons were all ordered for my big build :D

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Fired right up and held an idle!

Still have to dial it all in and get some other things settled and straightened out on the car..but it runs!!

Boy does it sound amazing!

350 days, HUNDREDS of hours of research and work....and on this fine Sunday afternoon...I can haz cheeseburger

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member

Still have to dial it all in and get some other things settled and straightened out on the car..but it runs!!

Boy does it sound amazing!

350 days, HUNDREDS of hours of research and work....and on this fine Sunday afternoon...I can haz cheeseburger

Vids or it didn't happen!!!!

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I could use one of those to help lessen the pain while working on my car, lol.

Haha really??? As in XBOX live??? That's awesome! :banana::dancenana:

Made my night!

Yesssir, xbox live... I figured you'd get a kick outta that.

Congrats :beer: Time to shoot some vids of it, but you can go get your cookie first :D

mrxr250rider

Established Member
im his friend on facebook sounds nasty looks badass. cant wait for more updates
heres his vid
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STEqgUokpCA"]YouTube - ‪Chris Scott's first carbureted start up‬‏[/nomedia]

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Vids or it didn't happen!!!!

im his friend on facebook sounds nasty looks badass. cant wait for more updates
heres his vid
YouTube - ‪Chris Scott's first carbureted start up‬‏

Here is the embeded video.

[youtube_browser]STEqgUokpCA[/youtube_browser]

Don't mind my dad that keeps yelling nonsense.

270367_10150309852954948_656049947_9391260_3028475_n.jpg

Here is a picture he accidentally took while I was firing up the car..car and engine bay is an absolute mess from working on it..but once I get everything squared away and done I'll have it completely detailed and show ready.

Yesssir, xbox live... I figured you'd get a kick outta that.

Congrats :beer: Time to shoot some vids of it, but you can go get your cookie first :D

I'll have a really good video once I get the car all buttoned up and road worthee!

Sounds very deep now. Sounds like a rice killer too.

I hate how the video does it NO justice whatsoever! It was so overbearing loud in the lower frequencies that the microphone in the camera didn't pick it up. The idle is much more crisp and can definitely tell the difference...it sounds out of this world in person, can't even hear myself think!

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Now that's what I've been waiting to see!!! Great job man!!! Be sure to post more pics and videos... We love vids!!! :rockon:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Thanks a lot guys! While I have my car running..it isn't done yet!

I still have a lot of adjustments to make to get everything smoothed out and where it should be. I'm hoping to have my car tagged and road ready to long drives by Friday!

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
Thanks a lot guys! While I have my car running..it isn't done yet!

I still have a lot of adjustments to make to get everything smoothed out and where it should be. I'm hoping to have my car tagged and road ready to long drives by Friday!

call me batshit insane, but i dont see an alternator anywhere

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
So I haven't been able to get much tuning time because of my lack of an alternator, radiator fan, and the fact my headers still keep burning crap off of them and literally smoking me out of my garage.

This is where I am at with the car though.

Finally got the idle/air mixture screws set so that I am pulling about 15" of vacuum at idle. The ONLY two things pulling vacuum on my car is my MAP advance sensor and my fuel regulator.

Needle is sitting right at 4# of fuel pressure @ idle.

These are the two issues I am having and will address tomorrow.

My carburetor/intake is making a high pitch squealing noise randomly at idle
-My remedy is to tighten the two pipe threads for my barb'd fittings and to check all the carburetor screws

when I bring the RPMs up to around 2k I can hear a little studder/misfire
-I pulled my plugs and found that 2-3 of them aren't looking so great..I am willing to bet that is between the fact those plugs have sat for about a year unused and the first 1-2 times the car fired up my A/F was all over the place.

So I'm going to clean up all my plugs [they're all gapped to .045 which is where I want them] and reinstall them and give them a shot. That should either A) solve my problem and have no more misfiring B) Show me EXACTLY which ones are the problem after I pull them a 2nd time.

Again..I'm not too worried with everything and pretty sure I know how to fix it..but tomorrow I'll address those issues and fire it up again and see where it is at. I already got the engine running a LOT better than where I originally started.

Got a call today...expecting delivery of my hood between 11-3 :] I will have pictures up ASAP!

very nice now get some gears lol

Working on it! I'm supposed to be making some money with installing a full drivetrain on someone's Mustang as soon as I get my car finished. I'll be picking up some 4.56 gears and a rebuild kit with that cash hopefully :]

congrats man sounds great. Its an awesome feeling starting her up for the first time. Now go show that bitch off!

Ain't that the truth! It is such an amazing feeling when I finally heard her crank up and went straight into a 700rpm idle! Especially when I have a NASCAR style toggle switch for my starter! haha.

call me batshit insane, but i dont see an alternator anywhere

Haha..it is because I don't have one yet! lol. I just ordered it today..it is a black foxbody small case 3g alternator 1-wire hook up. It will be mounted down by where the AC compressor used to be via a custom bracket.

Also..you know what is awesome?? My car doesn't pull enough vacuum at start up to get the fuel going..so I have to put the pedal to the floor twice to get the accelerator pumps to prime fuel into my intake manifold to get it to start up! lol

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
I woke up..and this is what I had

Looks like my new sparkplugs came in the mail today!
270484_10150311443884948_656049947_9410444_635583_n.jpg

281834_10150311453399948_656049947_9410479_3794421_n.jpg

Soooooooooo light! Also..this hood BARELY clears my air cleaner as it sits right now. My air cleaner doesn't clear the throttle linkage completely..so I have to get a small spacer to get it and I REALLLY hope my cleaner doesn't rub.

I'll get better pictures later...the blinding light and white hood kind of get rid of all the 'curves' in the hood.

Here's a better picture of it

800hoods_cr800r2000v2_f2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread