Phatbox MP3 player for 2003 Cobra

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Well, I have given up trying to get a cable for the 2004 cobra to connect to the Phatbox MP3 player unit, so I'm selling it. It should work for anyone with a 2003 cobra because the head unit uses worldplug instead of the new phase II from the 2004 models.

The Phatbox is the 40GB version for a 2003 cobra, and is similar to a small 6 disc changer. I currently have 350 CD's worth of MP3's loaded into it, at 320kbps archival quality, and its barely half full. It navigates through songs, artists, playlits, or genre's using the 6 numbered buttons along the bottom of your head unit and the phatbox talks to you to aid in navigation. "Current artist is The Crystal Method" for example.

This unit sells for $959 on the website new (www.phatnoise.com). I purchased it used from a 2003 cobra owner who was selling his car. He did not want to tear the car upholstery back apart to retrieve the connector cable between the unit and the head unit (wouldn't have helped me anyway as it turns out) so anyone who buys this for their cobra will have to purchase a new connector cable from www.radiosandmore.com for $36 plus $6 shipping. The unit will come with software for your computer which upgrades to the latest version automatically when installed, 4 mounting screws, 40GB DMS cartridge, USB 2.0 cradle to attach to computer, and the player unit itself that the cartridge plugs into in your car.

I am asking $500 for the unit if any of you cobra owners are interested. PM me to make an offer or feel free to ask questions here if you're considering buying a new one from phatnoise.

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Oh yea, and the correct harness / cable for the 2003 cobra is:

xu3f-14588-da

That is the one you'll have to buy from Radios and More.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Hmmph. This unit came out of a 2003 cobra. :shrug: It worked fine in that one. They all have the same head unit as far as I know.

I do not believe their "button test" has been updated, and the newer head units dont comply with showing "NO CDDJ" in the window. You will notice a stop in the display and playback when you push the CD/AUX button however. That is the head unit searching for a CDDJ device. I dont think the Ford head units display the "NO CDDJ" message anymore like they did 6 years ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread