physically bypassing/Removing PATS

19Mystic96

Established Member
FIRST OF ALL, I understand that the PATS can be turned off in a tune, but for my build (96 cobra) (Flame suit on) I'm doing a push rod motor with a stand alone harness. Ive removed the factory computer, engine harness, CCRM & harness from the car already since they can't be used.

Im ready to start but the car doesn't crank. I checked my grounds already, and I'm pretty sure the wiring is as it should be, but I get no cranking. Its like the PATS is preventing the car from starting (from previous experience).

Is there any way i can physically remove the PATS system or bypass it in any way?

does the PATS still function without a PCM connected to it?

Edit: I also have an aftermarket gauge cluster installed with speedhut gauges.

Just a thought, could I change to a 1995 (pre PATS) column and lock cylinder and wire the 96 ignition to the 95 column?

Last edited:

GRUSE

Established Member
Check the clutch pedal position switch make sure that not the problem,if that's not making contact the car wont turn over.
I think but am not 100% sure,the pats only disables the fuel pump and lets the car crank.
Can you hear the fuel pump cycling? Is the theft light flashing ,on continuous or not on at all?

MustangMatt77

Established Member
When you say that you removed the computer, do you mean the PCM? Are you using the same key as before?

All PATS functions are controlled by the PCM.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is
located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a
small electronic module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module
reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PCM.
The control functions are contained in the PCM. This module carries out all of the
PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition
key and controlling engine enable. The PCM initiates the key interrogation sequence
when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to ON or START.

The PATS function uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. All elements of PATS
must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components
are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

Last edited:

19Mystic96

Established Member
Check the clutch pedal position switch make sure that not the problem,if that's not making contact the car wont turn over.
I think but am not 100% sure,the pats only disables the fuel pump and lets the car crank.
Can you hear the fuel pump cycling? Is the theft light flashing ,on continuous or not on at all?

Well the clutch pedal switch is making connection, and still I get no power to the starter solenoid. when the key is in the start system.

last time I had the problem, it was some plugs that weren't plugged in going to the CCRM harness/PCM. I ripped those out since the computer, CCRM, etc weren't being used in the swap. now that i think of it, thats probably the problem, but Im in need of a solution to bypass the system lol.

the fuel pump doesn't cycle (probably because of after some research, I found out the CCRM controls the fuel pump. I will rewire it to the stand-alone harness relay.)

not sure on the THEFT light. I have an aftermarket instrument cluster, so I only wired "CEL" "ABS" "E-Brake" "turn signals" "Air-bags"

I didn't think i needed to connect that one since i was changing everything in the car anyways.

When you say that you removed the computer, do you mean the PCM? Are you using the same key as before?

All PATS functions are controlled by the PCM.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is
located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a
small electronic module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module
reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the PCM.
The control functions are contained in the PCM. This module carries out all of the
PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition
key and controlling engine enable. The PCM initiates the key interrogation sequence
when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to ON or START.

The PATS function uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. All elements of PATS
must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components
are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.

thats what I figured. I removed the factory PCM, and am using an aftermarket one in its place. If theres a way to bypass it, that will solve my problem. All I need is to bypass the starting circuit, since the fuel and ignition will be controlled by the aftermarket PCM.

just a thought, how difficult is it to wire in an aftermarket starting circuit to bypass the PATS?

Users who are viewing this thread