PI headswap.

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Hey guys I am looking into getting the PI headswap done. This is what I think I need, let me know If I am missing anything.

PI heads-$500 (Ready to assemble with PI cams)
Gaskets and bolts-$100
99+ Intake-$200ish
Valve covers-$100
Tune-$175
Ported and Polished-$???
Installation-$????

What price should I expect to pay for installation and to get them Ported and Polished???? Thanks :beer:

joegt38

Established Member
Price, not sure. What other mods did you do so far? PI headswap is a great idea. On 94-98 GTs first thing I would go with if you already havn't would be a gear you either have 2.73 or 3.08 stock, 3.73 or 4.10 really wake them cars up off the line.4.10 with a 5spd 3.73 with an auto (so you still have a top end with the auto). I have a question for you how much rw/torq does a 98GT have stock? Gear & heads great combo on a 98GT. My friend did it on his 98vert and can take 99+ 5spd. My .02cents , Good Luck!

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
I have gears 3.73's ,my car is a 5spd, 98 GT's were rated at 290lbs. Not sure about what that would be rear wheels wise.

ArthurJGuy

Cinema Stang
Established Member
Actually, if you are going to port and polish heads, the non PI heads will make more power, according to research done by a friend of mine.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The PI heads have a much better compression ratio, especially placerd on a 96-98 bottom end with flattop pistons. The PI heads have a smaller cc than the 96-98 heads. The PI heads flow better air at lower RPM's even when both have been ported. Yes the non PI heads can flow almost as much CFM @ 500 lift. They suffer compared to the PI heads at lower lift. This translates to more power at lower RPMs or a broader powerband.

If you do the head swap, get ARP head studs. This way if you pull the heads later the TTY bolts won't have to be bought again and again. You'll likely end up with over $250 in gaskets and bolts. Just remember to get good stuff the first time around, and have it done by a reputable shop. P&P can run upwards of $500 easy. I say have them CNC'd by a reputable company. This will guarantee symetrical ports and equal flow to all cylinders. Most places charge around 1K for this. Installation will probably be another 1K or so.

Blackgeetee

Established Member
The port and polish job to me is definitely worth it. When my PI's arrived the ports were very rough and the edges were sharp. If you ran your finger over the lip you could get cut bad. After the port and polish job not only were the ports MUCH bigger, but they were smoother than a baby's ass. Like GR8 said just make sure the shop you take them to get done at is reputable.

98gtstang

www.snma.net
Established Member
Thanks guys, Blackgeetee what did you pay for the port polish job?? One more thing what did they whole thing cost you? Including installation. :D

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Check with extrude hone. Can't beat the power and price. Hand ports or CNC don't match what Extrude hone can do. Last quote i got for a set of 4.6 heads to process was 550.00. Then i would get a set of cams. Your car should rock after that.

Users who are viewing this thread