Picked up an S197

robvas

Established Member
Going to my buddy's tonight to use his press to install these poly bushings. Rear sway bar was a little loose on these.

Bought two more wheels so I could get my drag radials mounted, now I can switch them out as often as I want.

Should be 70 or so out from Saturday to Wednesday, be happy as shit if I can hook in 2nd from a 40 roll

Nice.... what's the new one read at full steam?

Haven't gotten a chance to check yet. Been cold so spin city.

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpeg
    IMG_0385.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 25

robvas

Established Member
I got the energy suspension bushings in using a vise, but I couldn't get the links back on the ****ing away bar. Wrestled that ****er for a good twenty minutes, tried grease, silicone spray, windex...

Just about gave up and was going to find a stock rubber set to put on. But then I started reading some posts on the GT500 forums. I went out and measured my bushings and sure enough, the bushings that hold the bar to the car were 24mm (it's stamped on them) but the bushings that go in the endlinks are only 20mm! Go figure.

Short trip to Home Depot for a 15/16th spade bit, I just bored the bushings out to 23mm, then got them right back on the bar.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.jpeg
    IMG_0407.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0408.jpeg
    IMG_0408.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0409.jpeg
    IMG_0409.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 14

PrtyNtz

Hello to robvas, the OP, and to the rest of this great forum!

As soon as I find the right place to do so, I'll introduce myself. I just signed up for an account here on SVT and this is my first post-

I was just perusing recent threads and read through this one. The last post caught my eye regarding the issue with the ES 24MM sway bar kit-

I think robvas might have stumbled upon this thread of mine:

24mm Rear Sway Bar parts for a 2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe

I am curious if that is indeed true, and as I noted in that thread, I made it just for this reason, that maybe it would help someone in the future. :)

It is very strange that ES would market a 24mm sway bar kit, that has two of four bushing that DON'T FIT a 24MM bar. [facepalm]

Granted, they do not say it is for a GT500, and that they don't have a kit for that specific car (I chatted with them for a day or two, anyway), but that is still messed up.

I am glad robvas that you were able to get the way better poly bushings installed, they are way better than the stock rubber ones.

I did see some guy on YT chamfer the ends of his swaybar and get those 20mm bushings on a 24mm bar, but I can't believe the headaches he must have gone through to do it! Those things are very hard and stiff (which is the point), and I was glad to find that they can actually be "machined" as it were.

I look forward to contributing as I can to the forum going forward.

I have a decently low mileage 2010 GT500 I have had about 6 months. My brother is here as "Fat Boss".

Rob

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Great looking rare color S197!
Who tuned it?
Can you datalog?
Hopefully some things have been confirmed or I wouldn’t recommend ripping on it too much yet.
What area of Michigan?
-J

robvas

Established Member
Hello to robvas, the OP, and to the rest of this great forum!

As soon as I find the right place to do so, I'll introduce myself. I just signed up for an account here on SVT and this is my first post-

I was just perusing recent threads and read through this one. The last post caught my eye regarding the issue with the ES 24MM sway bar kit-

I think robvas might have stumbled upon this thread of mine:

24mm Rear Sway Bar parts for a 2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe

I am curious if that is indeed true, and as I noted in that thread, I made it just for this reason, that maybe it would help someone in the future. :)

It is very strange that ES would market a 24mm sway bar kit, that has two of four bushing that DON'T FIT a 24MM bar. [facepalm]

Granted, they do not say it is for a GT500, and that they don't have a kit for that specific car (I chatted with them for a day or two, anyway), but that is still messed up.

I am glad robvas that you were able to get the way better poly bushings installed, they are way better than the stock rubber ones.

Hah! That was the thread.

This is what I used to make the holes bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.jpeg
    IMG_0472.jpeg
    136.2 KB · Views: 10

robvas

Established Member
Who tuned it?
Can you datalog?
Hopefully some things have been confirmed or I wouldn’t recommend ripping on it too much yet.
What area of Michigan?

Lund tuned

I have the BDX for it so I have been logging here and there, everything seems to look good. Want to log a full run through the gears when I can get to the ol track

Mid-Michigan, Saginaw exactly

Got to wash it finally

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 12

robvas

Established Member
Some kid came and bought stock wheels to put on his SHO

Nittos hook good from 2nd gear I'm ready to roll.

robvas

Established Member
Wish I had a size or two bigger drag radial...almost looks like the fronts are a hair bigger.

Overall I'm not 100% happy with the how the front wheels sit, I had to use a tiny spacer so they come out just a tad, and think a 27" would be better instead of 27.7". No big deal though.

Also it looks like the front bumper was hacked up a little to get the heat exchanger in there.

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpeg
    IMG_0568.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread