Pics: '05 Ford GT vs. '01 Navi Heads...

Vic

Established Member
Thanks for the very informative post! Makes me wanna spend all my money! Write bad checks and stuff.... heh heh!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
COOL!!

I remember that thread.

Andrew... do you have a side by side of those------> against the 03/04 Cobra/Aviator/Mach/Marauder heads???

The intake flange angle shot in particular would be very interesting...

As well as your verbal(excellent) descriptions of the ports...IE floor, shape, size,...ETC.

Since the 03/04 are far more plentiful, I think a lot of folks would like to see that also...

I've seen the 03/04-Navi comparo... but not against the GT/R heads..

Also ...

Do the GT heads have the "wet" exhaust port divider, like the Navis do??

Do 03/04 heads have a wet divider?

How does the coolant flow capacity look on the GT heads(on the exhaust side)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions ... but you know what a geek I am :bash:

Jimmy :bowdown:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
COOL!!

I remember that thread.

Andrew... do you have a side by side of those------> against the 03/04 Cobra/Aviator/Mach/Marauder heads???

The intake flange angle shot in particular would be very interesting...

As well as your verbal(excellent) descriptions of the ports...IE floor, shape, size,...ETC.

Since the 03/04 are far more plentiful, I think a lot of folks would like to see that also...

I've seen the 03/04-Navi comparo... but not against the GT/R heads..

Also ...

Do the GT heads have the "wet" exhaust port divider, like the Navis do??

Do 03/04 heads have a wet divider?

How does the coolant flow capacity look on the GT heads(on the exhaust side)?

Sorry for the barrage of questions ... but you know what a geek I am :bash:

Jimmy :bowdown:

Whassup Jimmy :burnout:

I would love to get comparison shots but I neglected to take pictures of the last set of 03s I had next to the GTs. Next time I get a set I'll make sure to do so. Thanks for the idea.
GT heads have a wet port divider, unlike the '00Rs, and the 03/04s also have a wet divider.
The coolant passages (at least from what's visible) appear to be identical to those found on the '00Rs. It's interesting to note however, that there were actually 4 different GT castings; ranging from modified '00Rs to the actual production GT heads we see today. The adjuster on the production GT heads is actually shorter than those used on the '00R, likely caused by a slightly raised port (vs. '00R). For those interested, after porting Rs/GTs flow equally well.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Excellent tech... as usual!!!

Sorry about posting over here I meant to respond in the new one(and in fact after I realized it I copy and pasted over there :bash: DUH!!)

Then I went to edit out this one and SHAZAM!! you had already responded... sorry to bollix up a great tech thread :bash:

I've got some more head questions ...
do you want them here :bash: or over in the new thread???

Jimmy :smmon:

Fourcam330

Established Member
Jimmysidecarr said:
Excellent tech... as usual!!!

Sorry about posting over here I meant to respond in the new one(and in fact after I realized it I copy and pasted over there :bash: DUH!!)

Then I went to edit out this one and SHAZAM!! you had already responded... sorry to bollix up a great tech thread :bash:

I've got some more head questions ...
do you want them here :bash: or over in the new thread???

Jimmy :smmon:

NP bro, I thought my computer screwed my last reply up until I realized that I had previously answered your questions in this thread not the new one, LOL. :D I included a little more info on the prototypes/production heads in the other/new thread.

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
I'm way out of my element here but how would the GT heads flow in relation to the new hemi heads and LS7? I remember Hot Rod mag I think testing the mod heads against the rest and coming last. I'm sure it was the 4v 4.6 heads.

Fourcam330

Established Member
fordification said:
I'm way out of my element here but how would the GT heads flow in relation to the new hemi heads and LS7? I remember Hot Rod mag I think testing the mod heads against the rest and coming last. I'm sure it was the 4v 4.6 heads.

Remembering that flow #s are really just magazine fodder, that a 270/190 head can kick the shit out of a 330/250 head since it's the entire combination that matters, and quite often the head with less flow makes more HP...
I haven't seen any bench results for Dodge/Hemi heads yet, however I can tell you that Gen. II Viper heads are absolute shit by comparison to pretty much any modern performance head. After porting they're lucky to see 290cfm intake.
LS7 heads allegedly flow 360ish on the intake (not sure what lift but at 28") with the factory CNC port.
GT heads flow 309/255cfm @ .500" lift @ 28" when stock and can see up to 370/310cfm on a stock bore (3.55") and ~400/330cfm on a 3.70" big bore. All modular heads are limited flow wise by the smallish valve seats/valves size. Makes you really beg for the old school 4.00x3.00" 5.0L bottom end dimensions doesn't it ;-)
Check out the new thread in the GT500 forum. I posted a lot of basic info on the different Ford 4v heads.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Remembering that flow #s are really just magazine fodder, that a 270/190 head can kick the shit out of a 330/250 head since it's the entire combination that matters, and quite often the head with less flow makes more HP...
I haven't seen any bench results for Dodge/Hemi heads yet, however I can tell you that Viper heads are absolute shit by comparison to pretty much any modern performance head. After porting they're lucky to see 290cfm intake.
LS7 heads allegedly flow 360ish on the intake (not sure what lift but at 28") with the factory CNC port.
GT heads flow 309/255cfm @ .500" lift @ 28" when stock and can see up to 370/310cfm on a stock bore (3.55") and ~400/330cfm on a 3.70" big bore. All modular heads are limited flow wise by the smallish valve seats/valves size. Makes you really beg for the old school 4.00x3.00" 5.0L bottom end dimensions doesn't it ;-)
Check out the new thread in the GT500 forum. I posted a lot of basic info on the different Ford 4v heads.

I got all caught up in flow numbers when I got my heads done, but was told that it did not really matter that much and total combustion was what really mattered. FWIW some big N/A viper motors making 700-800 hp have big time ported heads that flow like 380cfm, which was what the GTS-R motors heads flowed.

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
I got all caught up in flow numbers when I got my heads done, but was told that it did not really matter that much and total combustion was what really mattered. FWIW some big N/A viper motors making 700-800 hp have big time ported heads that flow like 380cfm, which was what the GTS-R motors heads flowed.

I have no experience with GTS-R/'04 SRT10 motors--just gen II heads. How much do the GTS-R heads go for per set?
You're right about flow #s not meaning much of anything, they are very over rated.

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I have no experience with GTS-R/'04 SRT10 motors--just gen II heads. How much do the GTS-R heads go for per set?
You're right about flow #s not meaning much of anything, they are very over rated.

The GTS-R heads I was talking about were the one from when they won LeMans a few years back. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore, but people are copying their design. I think I saw a set for sale a while back for somewhere around 8k. I couldn't believe they can make the viper heads flow 380, but apparently they can and they are on engines that are not for the street.

When I first got my heads done and went to the dyno my gains were not as much as I had expected. The tuner reminded me that my blower was no longer pushing 10psi like it was before the head work, but somewhere around 6-7. When I upped the boost back to 10psi then I saw the really big gains.

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
The GTS-R heads I was talking about were the one from when they won LeMans a few years back. I'm not sure if they even make them anymore, but people are copying their design. I think I saw a set for sale a while back for somewhere around 8k. I couldn't believe they can make the viper heads flow 380, but apparently they can and they are on engines that are not for the street.

When I first got my heads done and went to the dyno my gains were not as much as I had expected. The tuner reminded me that my blower was no longer pushing 10psi like it was before the head work, but somewhere around 6-7. When I upped the boost back to 10psi then I saw the really big gains.

Cool. I would really like to see some pics of GTS-R heads, as in how they differ from standard Viper heads.

Users who are viewing this thread