pics of nitto 315/35/17 on 9" rim plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblazer sss

ford ***** again
Established Member
I was just wondering, i see everyone saying you can run the nitto 315/35/17 on the stock cobra wheel but i cant seem to find pictures of it how much wider are they then my 275's an if someone has pics of anything bigger then 275's on stock wheels plz post pics its gettn close to buying some new tires.

Brandon

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Nitto's approved wheel width for a 315mm tire is 10.5"-12.5". Who you gonna believe, idiots that run this combo or the tire manufacturer?

trailblazer sss

ford ***** again
Established Member
good point guys....maybe thats why i read about it an never see anyone do it. so would yall even do a 285 or 295?

FrankeSVT

Enthusiast
Established Member
here's my old setup with 315 555r's on stock 17x9. this question gets posted at least once a week

DSC_0202.jpg

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Putting a 315 on a 9" rim is a pretty stupid and unsafe thing to do :nonono: I'm not sure if you are going to get what you are asking for.

Why is it unsafe? Why is it stupid? Do you have any personal knowledge of a tire failing?

Nitto's approved wheel width for a 315mm tire is 10.5"-12.5". Who you gonna believe, idiots that run this combo or the tire manufacturer?

Idiots? You are correct about the appoved tire widths but what do you think it's based on? It's based on the tire's designed performance. The aspect ratio actually changes a little when going to too wide a rim or too small of a rim.

The 315 is the width of the tire in millimeters (mm), measured from sidewall to sidewall. Since this measure is affected by the width of the rim, the measurement is for the tire when it is on its intended rim size.

315mm (10.5-12" rim) x 35 =110mm from the bead to the top of the tread.

On a 9" rim the sidewall might only be 265mm (?).
265mm width and a 110mm sidewall =42 aspect ratio

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Why is it unsafe? Why is it stupid? Do you have any personal knowledge of a tire failing?

Idiots? You are correct about the appoved tire widths but what do you think it's based on? It's based on the tire's designed performance. The aspect ratio actually changes a little when going to too wide a rim or too small of a rim.

The 315 is the width of the tire in millimeters (mm), measured from sidewall to sidewall. Since this measure is affected by the width of the rim, the measurement is for the tire when it is on its intended rim size.

315mm (10.5-12" rim) x 35 =110mm from the bead to the top of the tread.

On a 9" rim the sidewall might only be 265mm (?).
265mm width and a 110mm sidewall =42 aspect ratio

THIS!
And Idiots is a little harsh and equally incorrect.:nonono:

The Nitto 555R is a notoriously small 315 compared to almost EVERY OTHER 315 out there, including other 315s from Nitto in different model tires.

Mustang guys have been running 315 555Rs on 9 inch rims since the tire was first launched.

As you can plainly see the bulge in the side wall is not that bad.

With any other 315 it would be a TERRIBLE IDEA, but this tire is small.
Hundreds and hundreds of of Mustang guys have run these 315s on 9" rims with no issues, Other than issues also found on other drag radials.

This is the only 315 I know of that you can get away with this.

GTIZZL

Established Member
Not the best pic in the world, but you get the idea.. These are the Nitto NT05r's

jessemustang016.jpg

Last edited:

mu22stang

Established Member
If the tires "designed performance" is based on that wheel width range, what is the performance outside this specified range? If the range is not to be followed, why does every manufacturer publish this information?

What I want to know is, do you guys actually think you're getting more contact patch out of a 315 Nitto over a 275(DR) or 285(ZR)? What about the effect of the bulge on lateral stiffness, predictability, and stability in the corners? Is this decision based on verifiable performance improvements over correctly sized tires or your own personal cool-o-meter?

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
If the tires "designed performance" is based on that wheel width range, what is the performance outside this specified range? If the range is not to be followed, why does every manufacturer publish this information?

What I want to know is, do you guys actually think you're getting more contact patch out of a 315 Nitto over a 275(DR) or 285(ZR)? What about the effect of the bulge on lateral stiffness, predictability, and stability in the corners? Is this decision based on verifiable performance improvements over correctly sized tires or your own personal cool-o-meter?

All he was asking for was pictures of a 315 on a 9" rim. Most informed people know if you go other then what was designed then you will be losing some performance. Calling people stupid and idiots is a little harsh. I have read many posts and responses from you and i would agree with most of them.

mu22stang

Established Member
...Most informed people know if you go other then what was designed then you will be losing some performance. Calling people stupid and idiots is a little harsh.

I'm not so sure this is the case. I bet there are plenty of informed people that actually use the search function on this site and find a gazillion threads just like this. Problem is, most of them are chock full of guys saying it's "fine to run 315's on 9" wheels" even though this directly conflicts with manufacturer recommendations AND isn't even proven to provide more contact patch then the correctly sized tire.

"Idiots" may be harsh, but you guys are big boys. It's truthfully my thought and I'm sorry if it offends you.

trailblazer sss

ford ***** again
Established Member
look guys like stated above i asked for pictures an such not a big argument. i dont have alot of hard corners where i live an id rather drive my jeep if i was taking corners alot. i use this car strictly for straight line performance. the NT05r 315 i know has got to be wider then my 275 sumitumo i have now i would hope.

mu22stang

Established Member
...the NT05r 315 i know has got to be wider then my 275 sumitumo i have now i would hope.

With a correctly sized wheel, yes, a 315 will be wider than a 275. The problem with an undersized wheel? The bulge that so many people like aesthetically is ironically causing a reduction in contact patch.

Vlad's picture above is a perfect example of this unutilized contact patch. In fact, three of the pictures in this thread show this.

Last edited:

MrSwa

Established Member
I say the same thing every time this question comes up and I, for some unbeknownst reason, decide to post. I had these 315 555Rs on my car when I bought it. I hated it. The bulge may look cool to some, I am not one of those people, but I can almost guarantee you that I was not utilizing the extra width. The car actually felt unstable in any kind of corner (fast or slow). The best way to describe it is it felt like I was driving on marshmallows. Yes they had good traction, but this is more a function of tire compound. The sidewall flex was obnoxious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread