(pics) what is in this engine bay?

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Looking at an 09 Ram and popped the hood to see yellow wax/grease all over the place except on the engine. is this some type of undercoating? It doesnt appear to be normal dirt and grime. You can scrape it off like candle wax almost? its even on the under part of the hood and hood hinges. sorry for lame pics.

thoughts?

WkJ1wiF.jpg

bhNeZpg.jpg

wWD5Prf.jpg

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
Also of note, the truck is in fantastic condition everywhere else. was surprised to see this stuff in the engine bay. cant figure out what it is.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Looking at an 09 Ram and popped the hood to see yellow wax/grease all over the place except on the engine. is this some type of undercoating? It doesnt appear to be normal dirt and grime. You can scrape it off like candle wax almost? its even on the under part of the hood and hood hinges. sorry for lame pics.

thoughts?

WkJ1wiF.jpg

bhNeZpg.jpg

wWD5Prf.jpg

It is a type of rustproofing/undercoating product. Not all of them are black.

It is primarily a rustproofing if it is waxy. Undercoating tends to be black, thicker, eventually hardens mostly, and also doubles as sound deadener.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
Yeah old BMWs have that stuff too, if I recall. Mainly on the white e30s? I'm not sure. Would have to ask my BMW nuthead friends.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
thanks guys. the bottom of the truck has a soft/rubbery like undercoating on the frame. figured it was something related

PaladinMan187

Ford/Subaru Parts Guru
Established Member
thanks guys. the bottom of the truck has a soft/rubbery like undercoating on the frame. figured it was something related

Does it look like it was recently done? I've seen a ton of trucks in my area where people undercoat the living hell out of the truck to hide the paper thin frame. Make sure you scrape the frame in odd looking spots around the front end and do the same with rear brake lines. If they just undercoated it to cover cancer you'll find out quick.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
the undercoating under the truck seems to be somewhat old and faded. not new. they just got the truck on trade-in 2 weeks ago

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah old BMWs have that stuff too, if I recall. Mainly on the white e30s? I'm not sure. Would have to ask my BMW nuthead friends.

It's inside the doors on old VW's too. Once it gets old, it will ooze out of the door on a hot summer day. Makes a nice mess. :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread