Pictures of 2005 Ford GT With My Viper GTS

MotorCityMadMan

Established Member
Well my buddy was able to take a Ford GT home for the day. He picked me up for work in it and came back later that night to give me another ride. I took the opportunity in the morning to take some pictures of my 1996 Viper GTS with it. Made for some cool pictures given they were both blue with white stripes. Enjoy. The Ford GT is one kickass ride!!!!!

3302005_Ford_GT_and_1996_Viper_GTS-med.jpg

330100_0818_cropped-med.JPG

330100_0835_cropped-med.JPG

330100_0823_cropped-med.JPG

330Picture_028.jpg

330100_0843-med.JPG

330100_0822-med.JPG

330100_0825-med.JPG

330Sean_with_GT_40_cropped-med.JPG

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
how did your buddy get to take the gt home for a day. is he a ford big wig or just knows the right people. the pics are great. 2 sweet rides but i hope you don't mind that i like the gt better.

fordification

Established Member
GREAT SHOTS!

Vipers rear bumper is a little better being formed into the body. But other then that, it has nothing on the GT for looks.

Without sounding ***, love the muscular rear shot.:rollseyes

fordification

Established Member
Hey, does anybody have a shot of the front under the lid? Don't think I've seen how the cooling system is laid out.

Warren S

MCMM: Beautiful pics, thanks for posting them! I've got to say that the Ford GT and the Viper GTS are among the best looking cars built, and a plus that they're both American made too. I think both are "timeless" designs that will never grow tired on me.

MotorCityMadMan

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Chris
how did your buddy get to take the gt home for a day. is he a ford big wig or just knows the right people. the pics are great. 2 sweet rides but i hope you don't mind that i like the gt better.

My buddy and I are both Senior Engineers with Ford. That's a fancy word meaning we aren't big shots yet. :-D Anyways, my buddy has done some work with the Ford GT program so to thank him for all his help they let him take one home for the day. Wish I was so lucky.

As for what looks better, the Viper or the GT. I like both, but the GT is more exotic looking IMHO. It is one bad ass looking ride, very muscular looking over the rear fenders.

Warren S

Sean,

Does your buddy work with Hannemann? I could be wrong, but I heard that some of the engineers who worked on the Viper project with Lutz "jumped camp" after the breakup of Lutz/DC and are now working on the Ford GT. Ford's doing great things by introducing a lot of new (and retro) designs and ideas, DC on the other hand, not.

--Warren.

MotorCityMadMan

Established Member
No, my buddy didn't work with the actual Ford GT design team, but he did some work at the assembly plant where they are building the GT. You are right that a few of the Viper team jumped ship and went to work on the Ford GT though.

Vic

Established Member
The pics look better on this forum, somehow!

SchwEEEEEEET!

I am now obsessed with getting one. Heart becoming arythmic, palms sweaty, face pale.....must............get............one................................gasp.........

Last edited:

venom279

Established Member
Originally posted by MotorCityMadMan
No, my buddy didn't work with the actual Ford GT design team, but he did some work at the assembly plant where they are building the GT. You are right that a few of the Viper team jumped ship and went to work on the Ford GT though.

Didn't they build all the GT40's at the Wixom plant??

KOOY

Established Member
how much is a GT? I mean out of dealer's lot cost....
not because I now drive a ford, but hell the car is simply the one and the only one. I just love to have a v8 topped with a supercharger.....

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Originally posted by venom279
Didn't they build all the GT40's at the Wixom plant??

Most of the assembly takes place at Saleen Special Vehicles. I think the motor is decked, some interior stuff is put in, and final QC is at wixom...

MotorCityMadMan

Established Member
Originally posted by The DBK
Most of the assembly takes place at Saleen Special Vehicles. I think the motor is decked, some interior stuff is put in, and final QC is at wixom...

Yes, Wixom is the final assembly place for the production version of the Ford GT. The concept vehicles and test vehicles were built elsewhere, maybe at Saleen Special Vehicles. There is a SVT facility about a mile from where I work in Dearborn where they did most of the development of the Ford GT.

The engine is built in the Romeo Engine Plant I think, some other components may be built elsewhere too, but it all comes together in a small building outside the Wixom Assembly Plant.

MotorCityMadMan

Established Member
Originally posted by cobrakarl
Can you make some comments about how the GT felt compared to your Viper ? Just curious.

Well, my Viper and my buddies Viper both have about 500 brake horsepower and 560 ft lbs torque at the flywheel with our light mods. This is about 50 more horsepower over a stock Viper GTS. Ford claims the GT has 550 brake horsepower and 500 ft lbs torque. So since I'm used to the power of my Viper, the GT's power didn't blow me away. But for someone who has never been in a really fast car it would blow them away. I guess I'm just so used to driving in a fast car. But the only car I've been in that's scarey fast is my buddies big single turbo Toyota Supra that is putting down over 600 hp. That thing is sick.

We played around with my buddies Viper against the GT and it was pretty even up until the GT shifted into 4th, then the GT got several car lengths on the Viper. Fords claims the GT will do 11.2 in the 1/4 and I believe it given that my buddy can get close to 12.0 in his Viper. The Vipers are naturally aspirated and the Ford GT supercharged, so it just feels different. The GT really zips when you hit the high rpms, and the Viper has the low down torque. I was impressed with the GT though.

If you've ever seen the interior of a Viper it is pretty spartan. The GT on the other hand has a nice interior with race car like gauges and controls. The fit and finish is a lot better too.

Warren S

I would have to agree that the Ford GT will have an advantage over the Viper GTS or SRT-10 on the track. Other than the better weight distribution/center of gravity of the GT, the Vipers have at least another 200+ pounds of weight, and the brakes though improved on the SRT-10 version, are the weakest link on the car.

Mechanically, I hope the Ford GT engineers have addressed any potential problems with a lot of R&D. The Viper SRT-10 on the other hand is vulnerable to spun bearings with prolonged high G sweepers. I have seen this happen at the track. The oil gets pulled to one side of the pan whereby the pickup can't pull the oil. Results in a severly damaged knocking motor.

Vic

Established Member
Warren, I don't know about the SRT, but the fixes for the GTS are:
1.Accusump
2. Trap doors in oil pan
3. Modified windage tray to let the oil return downward faster
4. ACR oil filter adapter, allows higher oil pressure, constant flow.
5. Puke tank, catches valve cover stray oil under heavy braking, so it doesn't get routed back into the intake. Prevents damaging, oil-induced knocking.

If I get a GT, I wonder how hard I would be inclined to lean on it, say at WillowSprings? Thats a lot of money to wad up in a ball! Plus, the car will be irreplaceable, when the model run ends. But to not take it on track, like a garage queen behind velvet ropes, now that is truly sad!

They say the rear end of the (mid-engine) GT is easy to catch, if you push it towards oversteer. Now thats nice to hear! Not like an old rear-engine Porsche, with its high polar movement, once it goes, its gone!

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Than's for the pics and info, i have liked the gt 40 since a kid, hard to believe it is back and improved for the normal person.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread