PIctures of aftermarket wheels GT500

Bel-Dooch

Established Member
My good friend has a GT500 and is looking for options for after market wheels.

He also has concerns about the sensors on the wheels, how did you remove them and/or put them on the new wheels.

So if you have pictures of your GT500 with after market wheels please post them.

Thanks.

Here's a pic of his car. (bone stock)
10-14-06_0900.jpg

clobato

Established Member
The sensors are the Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS). It warns the driver when the tire pressure is low by either displaying a light on the dash or an audible warning. The sensor is attached to the valve stem on the inside of the wheel. When I worked at Discount Tire, we just took the original sensors off the original wheels and installed them in the new wheels.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
our sensors wrap a stainless steel band around the rim that contains the sensor and yes they are pain in the ass, i tried a few different things, but ended up just leaving them off, it does give you a warning on the dash but i just hit the reset button on the console and it goes away.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
There are aftermarket bands to retain the sensors!

Use those with the factory bands, install the sensors 180 degrees opposite of the valve stem location. After mounting the tires and installing them on the car use the factory sensor retraining procedure and retrain the sensors with a TPMS tool, I use the BARTEC sensor tool in my shop, I just did it on a GT-500 project I recently finished. The car used FIKSE wheels and the sensor stuff works like factory. Hermann:beer:

TexasShelby

Established Member
Just a thought on the side of caution, and it's happened.

The sensors are a pain, especially with new wheels, but removing any safety device installed from the factory can and will void your insurance. Don't think they won't be pouring over your car if you have a wreck and total it (cuz it belongs to them now)...there is already litagation because they are downloading telemetry from the computers to contest claims that the person was not driving according to the state regulations, therefore excluding the company from paying any and all claims, including medical.
That's pretty much pond scum to me, but it's the way it's going these days.
I can't even change the front seats in my GT500 vert, because they have the side bloster airbags. geeezzzz.

I was just out at SAI and finally made my mind up on the 20" Silver Razors, as soon as I get them on I'll post some pics.

TexasShelby

Established Member
On the subject of the light being on with them gone, some guys are putting them in a PVC made container and charging it with 40 psi and putting it in the spare area. Thus tricking them.

Users who are viewing this thread