Pilot bearing removal?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
How in the world do you remove these dern things? I'm replacing my clutch, PP, flywheel, ect. and figured i would throw a pilot bearing in while i was at it. i thought it would slide out nice and easy, but nothing ever goes easy when i'm working on my car. and now i have messed it up to where it has to be replaced... Anyone have any hints?

djtyau

Established Member
I have tried grease and that was the worst thing I ever did. It took me more time to stick the grease in the hole. The best advice was to use soap chips. Take a block of soap and chip it into pieces and plug it into the hole . Don't be afraid of using a lot. Once that is done then take a socket extenstion and push it firmly enough into the PB hole and then hit it with a hammer. The PB should pop out. That is how I did it.

Last edited:

03nightmare

BRAD
Established Member
They usually come out in pieces. if you try removing them and they don't just come out you can bet on haveing to buy a new one. just beat the old one up untill you can grab it with some needle nose pliers or something.

djtyau

Established Member
Mine didn't come out in pieces, but definitely replace it whenever you do your clutch. They are cheap and it is good insurance.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
grey trmn8r said:
I had to use some precision air chisle tactics

Hahaha. done that before :beer:

a buddy just told me about a pilot bearing removal fitting on the end of a slide hammer. im going to try it tomorrow, and if that doesnt work, the air chisle is going to be pulled out.

CWD

Established Member
Go to autozone

and rent the tool. easy removal!:beer:

HASFANGS

Established Member
Haven't seen what these look like on th terms, but if it is just a bushing in the end of the crank like the (sorry) GM's, then thread a grease nipple (alemite fitting) into the pilot hole, pump it a couple times with a grease gun and walla...

Users who are viewing this thread