Pilot Dies, Passenger Lands Plane

STG

Banned
The passenger is a licensed pilot, not a bad-ass. He wasn't rated in high performance multi-engine planes like the King Air.

THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL. I'm not multi-engine or jet rated yet somehow managed to take off, fly and land left seat in a Ted Smith Aerostar, Beech Queen Air, and amass 8 hours of flight time including 16 night landings in a Boeing 737-400 Category C Flight Simulator with out crashing or even scratching anything.

If you can fly a Cessna 152, you can fly and land a King Air with a little assistance to find the switches and knobs on the panel and get talked through high approach and landing speeds.

I don't think the passenger's landing went anything like this:

PDVD_116.jpg

PDVD_072.jpg

203Cree

Established Member
The passenger is a licensed pilot, not a bad-ass. He wasn't rated in high performance multi-engine planes like the King Air.

THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL. I'm not multi-engine or jet rated yet somehow managed to take off, fly and land left seat in a Ted Smith Aerostar, Beech Queen Air, and amass 8 hours of flight time including 16 night landings in a Boeing 737-400 Category C Flight Simulator with out crashing or even scratching anything.

If you can fly a Cessna 152, you can fly and land a King Air with a little assistance to find the switches and knobs on the panel and get talked through high approach and landing speeds.

PDVD_116.jpg

PDVD_072.jpg

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking. All the basics are the same, just need the layout and the approach speeds. Those are really the only things you have to adjust plane to plane. Well, as far as landings go.

bnd3672

Established Member

I hadn't heard that he was a pilot. That does make him less of a badass, but still a badass. I don't know if you've ever experienced an emergency while flying, but it gets the adrenaline going.. Imagine the situation, you're in an unfamiliar, faster, heavier, multi engined aircraft with a dead/dying man next to you... Given the situation, acting rationally and making good decisions, and as a result saving lives, shouldn't be thrown aside.

Users who are viewing this thread