Pioneer P8400BH - Shelby Kicker Upgrade

TexasShelby

Established Member
Finally got all my stereo installed. And so far couldn't be more satisfied.

The 8400BH double din fit like a champ in the Shelby. The options boggle the mind. The best would have to be, the 2 iPod inputs. One for an iPod, one for advanced 4s app usage. Next would be the crisp and clear BC20PA advanced rear view camera, and last the ease of Bluetooth pairing and hands free use.

The only drawback is direct sunlight does hinder visibility, but even with the top down, it's still pretty good with the brightness of the screen.

The sound is full and tight. The bass with the new subwoofers, even using the OEM subwoofer amps is big, but not overpowering. The kicker amp and CDT 6.5" components have great mids and highs and there is no limit to the volume you can put into a well recorded sample. Top down sound is much better than the OEM, top up and windows up is amazing.

The install was done my Master Installer - Mike Shepard at Vision Audio in Midland Tx. I mention that because of the craftsmanship done in installing this massive custom upgrade.

Pioneer AVH-P8400BH DVD Receiver (Woofersetc.com)

Pioneer ND-BC20PA Rear View Camera with Parking Assist (Amazon.com)

Shelby Kicker Amplifier KA-4.1AMP (Stangaholics.com)

Shelby Kicker 8" Woofer KA-8 Woofers (Stangaholics.com)

4-CDT CL-650FG 6.5" Two Way Component Speakers with crossover (woofersetc.com)

SAM_1926.jpg

SAM_1920.jpg

SAM_1928.jpg

SAM_1933.jpg

SAM_1939.jpg

SAM_1940.jpg

SAM_1948.jpg

SAM_1951.jpg

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Sounds like a great system. What did you start with? Nav, shaker 500, shaker 1000, etc...

And more pics of the camera, subs, and amp locations would be great. :beer:

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
Nice set up. what made the biggest difference? I've heard upgrading the door speakers is a big improvement. Do you think the 8" sub kickers are worth it? I was debating on wether or not to buy them...

TexasShelby

Established Member
Sounds like a great system. What did you start with? Nav, shaker 500, shaker 1000, etc...

And more pics of the camera, subs, and amp locations would be great. :beer:

thx double...

It had a brand new shaker 500 (OEM died just before extended warranty ran out).

Here's the BC20PA camera. It's expensive, but the parking assist is pretty cool, and much cleaner than this pic shows.

SAM_1994.jpg

SAM_1988.jpg

The subs are much larger than OEM and extend out a bit more...my knee found that out the next day. Cut it pretty good.
My man talked directly to Kicker about the subs and amp. The subs use the OEM sub amps, and the 4.1 amp is pushing the four two way components with crossovers. I'm sure the Kicker drop-in replacements sound great, but I wanted something that would handle more power down the road a bit.
The amp is a direct replacement from the OEM amp and nothing hard about it, just pulling the right front fender well to run the power wire. 6 bolts and it was out.
The sound with the full 2 way, silk dome tweeters and 6.5" mids are great with it, and the subs are far beyond what the OEMs were. FYI, I'm also running a powered 10" Saleen sub in the trunk, but it doesn't do much except with the trunk open.

SAM_1991.jpg

The only complaint that I read about the head in vert is the sun, but the screen is really bright as you can tell in this pic, this is a hand held shot, and it plenty of light from it. Yes in direct sunlight, it does get washed out a bit, but nothing bad enough for me to want something else...

SAM_1989.jpg

One other thing that was a nice surprise...the BlueTooth...they mounted the mic right next to the lights and with the top up on the highway, it's really nice, works great and I never have to look at my phone, it comes up on the screen. And it will stream your music from you phone if you wish.

SAM_1996.jpg

Last edited:

TexasShelby

Established Member
Nice set up. what made the biggest difference? I've heard upgrading the door speakers is a big improvement. Do you think the 8" sub kickers are worth it? I was debating on wether or not to buy them...

In my opinion, if you wanted something easy to upgrade, you could go with the Kicker upgrade subs, speakers and amp, and then pick you a nice head to go with it. I chose the Pioneer because of the countless options you have, the sound quality (no, it's not competition level, but much better than OEM and it runs stuff like your driving apps off you iPhone4gs, so no need for nav at all.

Users who are viewing this thread