piston slap

rande/melissa

Established Member
i will be brief, we live in ohio and it didn't get cool here at night untill about 3 weeks ago. my 01 cobra is garaged. i leave for work at 4:30, on one morning it was in the low 50's nothing special. i started the car and heard a rattling noise. i checked the oil it was full, and i thought i was mistaken. but when i turned at the stop sign and accelerated it started rattling again. i was only at 2300rpm. i shifted into second and the same thing. :fm: i called the selling dealer and they kept it a week and then called me and told me they had drained my synthetic oil and tossed my k&n oil filter. :mj: then they checked the oil pressure at the heads (90 cold 20 hot). the dealer called ford's hotline and they tell me they were told that it was "just" piston slap and it is normal. :cuss: i asked why it just started and they didn't know, so i asked "so...if this is normal was my car abnormal before?" asst service manager told me if it was up to him he'd drop in a new motor.(reman). so now..they put 10 miles on the car, tossed my synthetic oil and didn't bother to clean it (the car) and then say that my car is a-ok. bull crap. any help and/or opinion is welcome and appreciated. (so much for brief) thank you..oh yea mileage on car was 34950 when this started..

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by rande/melissa
i will be brief, we live in ohio and it didn't get cool here at night untill about 3 weeks ago. my 01 cobra is garaged. i leave for work at 4:30, on one morning it was in the low 50's nothing special. i started the car and heard a rattling noise. i checked the oil it was full, and i thought i was mistaken. but when i turned at the stop sign and accelerated it started rattling again. i was only at 2300rpm. i shifted into second and the same thing. :fm: i called the selling dealer and they kept it a week and then called me and told me they had drained my synthetic oil and tossed my k&n oil filter. :mj: then they checked the oil pressure at the heads (90 cold 20 hot). the dealer called ford's hotline and they tell me they were told that it was "just" piston slap and it is normal. :cuss: i asked why it just started and they didn't know, so i asked "so...if this is normal was my car abnormal before?" asst service manager told me if it was up to him he'd drop in a new motor.(reman). so now..they put 10 miles on the car, tossed my synthetic oil and didn't bother to clean it (the car) and then say that my car is a-ok. bull crap. any help and/or opinion is welcome and appreciated. (so much for brief) thank you..oh yea mileage on car was 34950 when this started..

i started gettin a noise kinda like that late last year, around 36-38K miles....dealer i bought from kept telling me it was nothing major....then kept getting worse. when i moved here to STL, i took it to a dealer cause the noise was getting REALLY loud, and at this point my car was really SUCKING oil (1-1.5 quart between changes). they called me the night after i dropped it off and told me they were recommending replacing my long block with a NEW one from FORD, on my extended warranty. To give you a clue, the noise mine was making sounded like a clicking at first, kind of like the injector noise but louder. by the end it was the same pattern but loud like metal hitting metal. Found out when they opened up the engine that two rod bearings had failed due to an oiling problem. when i FIRST noticed the prob, i had also had a full throttle smoking problem since about 8 or 10K miles that the original dealership said they couldn't do anything about. Let me know if you want more info...

Users who are viewing this thread