pistons

seths99cobra

Established Member
im gettin ready to start ordering parts for my turbo build and im lookin for some forged pistons with a factory bore size and a dish between -11cc to -18cc. i could only find +sized cc pistons on sights like summitracing. i dont want to spend a fortune on them. ive seen the ones i need on mmr but i didnt want to spend that much. lookin for a set that will hold up to 1000hp. can you guys point me in the right directions maybe some links. thanks guys

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to make 1000hp, you are going to need to spend some serious cash. Parts that can handle that abuse cost money. Plus, when doing a rebuild, always do an overbore to make sure everything is straight.

pbeechner

Established Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to make 1000hp, you are going to need to spend some serious cash. Parts that can handle that abuse cost money. Plus, when doing a rebuild, always do an overbore to make sure everything is straight.

+1 the internals and engine components alone for my planned 950 rwhp turbo build add up to about $7500.... and that doesn't include the other fuel modifications, intake, let alone the parts for the rest of the car to handle that power like the chassis, tranny, and rear end :shrug: sorry to thread-jack...

Grey03Lightning

Snail Power
Established Member
On summitracing you have to look at the piston style in the description. The the piston volume might say +18cc but the piston style will say dish or flat top, etc.

seths99cobra

Established Member
well it said dished but also said +18cc + means higher compression. im only shootin for 850rwhp but i want to beable to bench 1000 if i wanted to. im deployed right now so i have a year to look around n buy parts im at just under $8k for a 850+ car right now all the supportin mods fuel, internals, power adder, tune and all the other little stuff. right now all i have for pistons far as wat i need are some manleys from summitracing and the 1000 rated pistons from mmr. i can afford whatever i want pretty much tryin to build a respectable car under 10k. i have a built t56 and rearend right now that can handle the power and i did include some suspension stuff in the build/price. im just tryin to find some other places that sell pistons all i get on google is mustang site links

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I think your confused a higher cc piston will net a lower compression, an 11 cc will be a low 9 and the 18 will be high 8. when your goal is that much HP the piston material comes into play too.. ModMax Pro-Power has Diamonds you need!

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two.

If you're looking for 850+ you're not going to be able to skimp out on anything.

BlackVenom99

Established Member
I think your confused a higher cc piston will net a lower compression, an 11 cc will be a low 9 and the 18 will be high 8. when your goal is that much HP the piston material comes into play too.. ModMax Pro-Power has Diamonds you need!

So when he says they advertised a +11 and a +18 you think +18 has a lower compression then the +11?

His problem is although they say dish they've made the mistake of using (+) which typically would suit a domed piston. (typos make me weary, makes you wonder which is the typo)(dish +18...is it a dish because it says so, or is it a dome cause it also says so..)

Forget about all the mumbo jumbo, call either CP or Manley and get pistons from them with your setup in mind. Custom is much more suited to your application then off the shelf, at the very least get a thicker tool steel wrist pin then standard.

Ironhand

Banned
So when he says they advertised a +11 and a +18 you think +18 has a lower compression then the +11?

His problem is although they say dish they've made the mistake of using (+) which typically would suit a domed piston. (typos make me weary, makes you wonder which is the typo)(dish +18...is it a dish because it says so, or is it a dome cause it also says so..)

Forget about all the mumbo jumbo, call either CP or Manley and get pistons from them with your setup in mind. Custom is much more suited to your application then off the shelf, at the very least get a thicker tool steel wrist pin then standard.

+11 or 18cc means it adds 11 or 18ccs to the chamber volume and the piston is dished which will decrease your compression ratio.

For Manley
Tool Steel .180 wall pin P/N 42203-8

A Stainless ring set is the only way to go as well.

Users who are viewing this thread