Placed a deposit on an '03 today.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
I place a deposit on a silver 03 Cobra with no options today. They are selling the car for sticker so don't be worried about a markup yet. Pricing is not available yet. I went ahead and got the wing because there are no pictures of one that I've seen without. The brake light is in the wing and nobody at the dealer knew where it would be without the wing. I sure don't want it on the window.

I had several sales people come up and look my 01 Cobra over and they asked me a lot about what I'd done to it. My salesman has an '01 vert and he questioned me about my mods. He was really interested in the 4.10's. He said he wanted 3.73's. I told him to get 4.10's and asked him if he wanted a ride. He said definately. His eyes got like tea cups when I punched a little. He said 4.10's are the way to go. I showed him how I have a slight vibe at 80 mph and he didn't seem to think it was anything abnormal. When we got back he asked me if I'd be interested in doing his Cobra and I agreed to do it for $300 plus parts. I guess that's fair. Any input would be appreciated on the price.

The dealer I was at is Martin Family Ford. They seem to be a very nice bunch of folks. My salesman also said he'd try to sell my '01 and he said he had a woman that was looking for one now. They also said if I sent them digital pic they would put the car on the Internet and that I should have no problems getting the asking price. Anyway, I have about 4 months to sell it and I can carry it for awhile if the '03 gets here before I sell the '01. I don't want to give it away but I'd like to make a little because of the mods. I have right at $5000 in mods and that doesn't include and shipping cost and no labor because I'm my own mechanic :p .

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
:) Congrats: That looks like it's going to be one hell of a nice car! I thought about it myself, but I didn't want to take a beating on trade in, and I've put a few mods on.

Tim ;-)

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Thanks LR. I want about 430-450 crank HP and to get it on the '01 less a power adder, you will have to get the FR500 heads, cams, intake if offered or PP your stock, and a dyno tune. I estimated that at $5000 and only if I install the heads on my own.

I had reservations about the '03 until I started reading especially when Scarpelo (spelling) from SVT said to a few members at the SVTOA unveling that the car was underated. Other selling points are the car is low enough for me with Bilstien shocks. It has 9 inch wheels and the wheels look good enough for me. I like the new styling. But, the potential for 450 HP is only $2000 away and it'll be under warranty. Another reason is I think once this cars start getting dynoed and word starts getting around, I think they will get sucked up off dealer lots in a hurry especially if they sticker $33k for the coupe.

Bimota Guy

A guy on SCOA site said he placed his order and was told the sticker was $35,020 for the coupe.
Linky

I think if you don't have a wing, the brake light goes in the vertical face of the trunk. This is the way it is on new edge Mustangs. Can't imagine there would be different tooling for '03 Cobra.

Last edited:

fangstang

Established Member
I'm going today to place an order on a silver coupe w/rear spoiler. The chromes look alright, but, they will weigh too much and are a pain in the ass to take care of. I wish they were polished instead. Anyway, anyone interested in a white/parchment 2001 cobra?:burnout:

fangstang

Established Member
I'm happy to say that I just ordered a silver 2003 cobra coupe. When I arrived at the dealership, I sat down with the guy that sold me my current cobra and he and another guy(sales manager) told me that the coupe is going to go in the low 30's, I was veryhappy to hear that! Then, as my sales guy is taking down my info he told me that the down paymen they were taking was $1500! Can F-in believe that! This shocked the shit out of me! I told him all I can give you is $500( which is the typical amount dealers take to secure a car). He told me to wait a sec as he discussed things over with the sales manager and told him that I was a previous buyer from this dealership and he returned and told me that $1000 would be OK. Are you kiddin? I just told you 2 minutes ago that all I can give you is a check in the amount of $500! And I cant budge! He tried telling me that the car is going to be in high demand and he doesnt want anyone backing out of a deal after the order was made. I told him that no matter what occurs that the car will be sold no matter what happens. Even if something were to occur and I can not purchase the car, that someone will surely buy it within days, guarentee! And I told him that this is no different then the wait people had to do for the 2001 cobras when they didnt make a 2000. I also told them that the reason I came back to this dealership was because I was treated well the first time(they loved it when I said that!) and they said OK, 500 is fine, I said thank you, got my receipt and order statement and left happy. Iwould make such a good lawyer!:coolman:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Dang, everybody is getting silver. They may be some slim pickings for awhile.

Congrats fangstang. A guy over on Corral said the pricing came out today. He said his vert was $38.5 with chrome wheels. That would put a stock silver coupe in the low $34k price range. I think that'll be about right. My salesman called me today and said he got in a few and I mean few brochures and he's holding one for me. I asked him if they had the final pricing and he said no. I'll get it Wednesday when I go to the dealer.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
One other thing. There are acouple of posts going around that Paul's High Performance has already done some testing on an '03 with a slightly smaller pulley, tune and open exhaust (whatever that means) and they were getting 360 hp and 385 lb-ft. at the wheels. May be BS but that's about 423 hp and 453 lb-ft at the crank.:D It may be BS but I know there will be posts rolling in with reports of these numbers and maybe even 450 hp for very little in mods.

fangstang

Established Member
You know, if this supercharger is similar if not the same as the one they use on the saleens, then you can get that chicane pulley for it along with some longtubes, off-road X, catback, larger trottle body, CAI, and a custom chip, this thing should, and would make atleast 450hp and 450 trq. WOW! I cant freakin wait! et ma know when the dealerships ar gettin the new brochures OK!:coolman:

C_Record

Established Member
'03 prices

Don't know about the prices listed above. A relative of mine at a dealership checked the dealer-only section of the Ford website(which they use get the official info) and there still's no pricing available(as of 10:00am EST), so he doesn' t know what the sticker will be.

Last edited:

MADGREEK

Established Member
black 03

well just got of the phone with my dealer put down a deposit on a 03, will be trade my 01 which is five months old. plus i did a pre lease by out so i sould get a good amount of cash back, which means anywhere from 3k to 6k out of my pocket. then will not have payments for two years on my 03. (any one wants a black 01 cobra)

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Man I'm thinking about changing to Sonic Blue. There are so many people going with silver and that blue sure looks bad as hell.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Colored

Originally posted by Yellow Horse
Man I'm thinking about changing to Sonic Blue. There are so many people going with silver and that blue sure looks bad as hell.

So many silvers? I'm glad I bucked the trend and went with the Mineral Gray from the getgo. The silver does look nice I will admit.

Users who are viewing this thread