Planning a trip to New York City

50 Proof

Established Member
I'm trying to plan a trip to New York for late October. I'm finding out fast that hotels are expensive out there. Is it worth it to pay a lot of money per night for a fancy hotel? I found a budget hotel - Hotel 31 that charges 200 per night with private bath. Gets decent reviews. I'm not planning on spending much time at the hotel.

Any tips or pointers for planning this trip out? Anything I should be aware of while I am out there (crime, getting around, etc)? Anything I should plan ahead of time aside from airplane and hotel?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sheraton Manhattan, is right in the heart of the City. It is a nice hotel and quite safe. For the end of October, I just priced a three night stay for two at $515 including tax.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Over Thanksgiving, I stayed at the Marriott Marquis on Broadway. It's in the heart of times square. But I had enough Marriott points so I didn't have to pay.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I'm trying to plan a trip to New York for late October. I'm finding out fast that hotels are expensive out there. Is it worth it to pay a lot of money per night for a fancy hotel? I found a budget hotel - Hotel 31 that charges 200 per night with private bath. Gets decent reviews. I'm not planning on spending much time at the hotel.

Any tips or pointers for planning this trip out? Anything I should be aware of while I am out there (crime, getting around, etc)? Anything I should plan ahead of time aside from airplane and hotel?

Since i live here and know where the good places are. Stay in the Hilton in on Staten Island, its only a ferry ride/ bridge away from the city and i can assure you its A LOT cheaper than the ones in the city.

Common

Established Member
Since i live here and know where the good places are. Stay in the Hilton in on Staten Island, its only a ferry ride/ bridge away from the city and i can assure you its A LOT cheaper than the ones in the city.

Sheraton Manhattan> Hilton Staten Island.

50 Proof

Established Member
Sheraton Manhattan, is right in the heart of the City. It is a nice hotel and quite safe. For the end of October, I just priced a three night stay for two at $515 including tax.

Is that 515 per night? Or 515 for 3 nights? Where did you go to get that rate? When I go to the starwood website for this hotel they want about that much per night.

Last edited:
I've stayed at the Waldorf Astoria for 2 nights. Very pricey but an incredible room. If you're only staying a few days then this would be an overkill, but very nice place to stay.

50 Proof

Established Member
Im pretty sure its not? Why would he need to waste a couple of hundred dollars more for a same star hotel? I guess my opinion doesnt mean anything? Except for the fact i live 15 mins away from the hotel?

I'm definitely going to look at the rates on the Hilton Staten Island. I plan on spending very little time in the hotel. I just need a safe place to sleep without worrying about my room getting broken into or robbed. I just looked at the rates and they are pretty damn good. How long is this ferry ride?

How much is the ferry to get across into the City? Does the ferry stop running after a certain time at night?

Last edited:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I'm definitely going the rates on the Hilton Staten Island. I plan on spending very little time in the hotel. I just need a safe place to sleep without worrying about my room getting broken into or robbed. I just looked at the rates and they are pretty damn good. How long is this ferry ride?

How much is the ferry to get across into the City? Does the ferry stop running after a certain time at night?

the ferry runs 24/7 and comes ever half hour to an hour depending on the day. the ferry is free too, all you do is take the highway all the way to the ferry and your good, or you can drive to the Staten island Train station and take the train for free all the way to the ferry terminal. :rockon:

Last edited:

Common

Established Member
Im pretty sure its not? Why would he need to waste a couple of hundred dollars more for a same star hotel? I guess my opinion doesnt mean anything? Except for the fact i live 15 mins away from the hotel?

Or that I live about 20 min from the other one.

50 Proof

Established Member
You only live once. This is far more convenient and you're IN Manhattan.

Yea that's the only reason I haven't booked the hilton yet. I would like to be able to walk out of the hotel and be right there in the middle of everything. The Sheraton at times square is my first choice. I'm gonna have to sleep on it some more. If I don't do the hilton at Staten island, I can splurge and go with the Sheraton or I can find a budget hotel in manhattan.

scn

Established Member
I agree with Common. I have stayed at both hotels and can tell you that the little extra I paid for the Sheraton Manhattan was well worth it. It may not seem like a big deal, but after being out all day and night, avoiding the hastle of the ferry or the train was a big +.

50 Proof

Established Member
ok, i definitely want to stay in Manhattan. I guess the big question now is, do I spend the extra on the Sheraton in Manhattan or do I save my money and go budget with the hotel? This one seems to be in a good location. http://www.hotel31.com/

How important is the quality of the hotel when you're staying in New York?

scn

Established Member
How important is your health? I hear crabs can really suck.
J/k
Like all hotels, do a little research on it and you should be okay. However, I will say that in NYC, sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Its a crapshot that I avoid by staying at a well known place. Nothing ruins a vacation like a crappy hotel.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
ok, i definitely want to stay in Manhattan. I guess the big question now is, do I spend the extra on the Sheraton in Manhattan or do I save my money and go budget with the hotel? This one seems to be in a good location. http://www.hotel31.com/

How important is the quality of the hotel when you're staying in New York?

Did you even price it out? I just checked the same dates in Oct, Hotel 31, with a private bath (yes they offer shared bathrooms) for two people, three nights is $547.

The Sheraton Manhattan was less.

Users who are viewing this thread